Tech Area > Transmissions

Drilling lightning holes in the governor

(1/4) > >>

good2win22:
Has anyone personally done it? What were you results? Just read a thread on TB.com, guy drilled sixteen 1/8th inch holes and got 34.3 rpm per hole.

TexasT:
For the governor Dave recommended grinding the big weight to 35 grams , and the other to 17.5 grams

This is something I cut and copied off tb.com trans section. I haven't tried it as I'm not using the brf vb/gov combo.
I did buy a scale off amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069QFDRO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I could put back the weight I took off if it didn't work like I wanted.

Scoobum:
This is just my way of thinking...and I could be wrong. In a perfect world...you'd want it shifting where it makes it's peak HP...and the only way you'd know that...is on a dyno.

Steve Wood:

--- Quote from: Scoobum on July 17 2016, 09:07:51 AM ---This is just my way of thinking...and I could be wrong. In a perfect world...you'd want it shifting where it makes it's peak HP...and the only way you'd know that...is on a dyno.

--- End quote ---

The old rule of thumb was 10% past the peak so when it shifted it was still near the top and rising again.  Given that we typically lose about 800 rpm on the shift, a better way would be to look at the dyno plot and set the the shift point so we straddle the peak hp point.

If no dyno read out is available, you can look at the mph curve and determine where it begins to flatten out and shift slightly before that point.

So, I agree with Brad

Scoobum:
I took a flyer with this cam that it would hit its peak HP at 5400. The governor in my trans has been adjusted to shift at...5500. It goes through the 1/8th mile traps at...5500.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version