Tech Area > A/C, Heating and Cooling

new compressor question.

(1/3) > >>

firebird_1252:
well i'm finaly starting to get my gn up and running again. it needs a new ac compressor. my car untill i let out the ac was still r12.  when the new compressor goes in can i just put r134a?

87natty:
I don't think so. I don't know much about AC, but I think you'll have to flush out all the old R12 and then replace all your seals, as the 134a molecules are smaller than the R12 ones and leak through. They sell conversion kits at auto parts stores, but I've never used one.

Mine is an R12 car too, made in Feb of 1987, and I was told all 87 cars had 134a in them? Meh, my AC is dry and it's fucking hot in Cali.

Steve Wood:
there are lotsa instructions for doing the swap.  Best to get all the oil out of the entire system and replace it with the oil made for 134A, put a new can on it, and replace the orifice tube with one made for 134A.....I suggest using the variable orifice tube as I find they cool better at idle.

firebird_1252:

--- Quote from: "87natty @ Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 pm" ---

Mine is an R12 car too, made in Feb of 1987, and I was told all 87 cars had 134a in them? Meh, my AC is dry and it's fucking hot in Cali.
--- End quote ---
mine was 34.5* out of the vents :D

firebird_1252:
steve, do you recommend swaping the evaporator air dryer and everything?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version