Author Topic: Always thinking...  (Read 3684 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Always thinking...
« on: November 29 2019, 04:49:48 PM »
So , I picked up a 4.1 short block a couple months ago. It is said to be .040 over so will need some custom earl brown pistons. Looking at probably doing a half fill of hard blok or maybe more. Still reading on that.

And I want to do a forged crank.
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/eagle-4140-forged-steel-crankshaft-buick-38l-v6-external-balance-523134005967e.html
Mostly to avoid a girdle and keep the crank and webs in the block. Not a track only. Gonna drive it. There were cheaper forged ones but then we get into internally balanced and strokers.
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/eagle-4140-forged-steel-crankshaft-buick-38l-v6-523134005967.html
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/eagle-4140-forged-steel-crankshaft-buick-38l-v6-523136255967.html

That just adds to complexity and cost. I'm not even sure I want to do fancy rods. I'm cheap that way. I just want to get the block checked out, make sure the decks are decent and the bores are straight.

Not even really sure I need a forged crank but I'm not sure what it in this short block I bought so I'm probably gonna need a crank. Though I'd rather spend the money on decent heads.

Any thoughts?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Always thinking...
« Reply #1 on: November 29 2019, 07:16:54 PM »
Can you you fill a street motor and have it keep cool?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
That's why I was thinking half fill. I know it is hot here and the oil temps would be higher with filling some or more. Those northern guys seem to get away with it, but they don't fool around in triple digit heat like we do here either. Would go to a big aluminum radiator or have one of these cores I have done up with a four core setup and keep the oil coolers.

Rich

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
JMO But I would go with a 3.625 crank for more cubes and keep the boost sane to keep the heads on.

with 30 or so more cubes over a 3.8 at just 15 lbs of boost is like 60 more cubes+
easy 10.50 car.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29 2019, 10:23:10 PM »
That has always been my Intention but with the added cost of the rods I just have been rethinking it. Really it is the perfect time to upgrade the rods too as the Pistons become a wash I would think with the need for custom ones to fit the .040 over 4.1 block I can get the deck height figured/measured and have the compression height for a real zero deck piston.

In a perfect world I'd have a ta block to go with all this fun. But that really out does my budget.

And in reality 15psi of boost would be pretty low. I intend to go e85 and crank it up.
Rich

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30 2019, 02:45:24 AM »
Rods really aren't a weak link in these engines.   If you decide to go with a longer rod, it's easy to just move the CH to account for it and put the crown wherever you want it.

I run stock rods in my 4.1 and don't lose any sleep over them being in there.   I did float the little ends on mine, but that was just because I have access to a honing machine and know how to do it.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07 2020, 04:01:36 PM »
https://scatgaragesale.com/collections/crankshafts/products/buick-rotating-assembly?variant=31694401110101

Now I've happened up on one of these but it is internal balance so it will need a balancer and flexplate. Also doesn't say what material it is forged of. Lots of dreaming. 
Rich

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07 2020, 10:39:11 PM »
Outside the Buick world scat seems to have a good rep, others probably know better about the Buick parts. We only have scat and eagle available to us don't we?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08 2020, 12:44:53 AM »
What's the normal price on those cranks?   I was thinking $400 was about normal.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08 2020, 05:34:16 PM »
That thing looks like a turd next to my Eagle crank!  Price isn't bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal