Author Topic: MAF replacement with scanmaster numbers  (Read 4854 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
MAF replacement with scanmaster numbers
« on: November 22 2019, 08:38:48 PM »
I have written this also on the turbo Buick forum as well for additional inputs

Okay I made some changes to my ’87 GN and keep in mind I purchased the Commander Chip from Full Throttle for my1987 Turbo Buick GN with a Fuel Injector, 60 lb/hr Siemens Mototron about 15+ years ago.
According to the instruction sheet it's written as follow:
Injector size: 60   
Octane: 93
Set fuel pressure to 45psi

Chip is calibrated for 1 screen in the MAF sensor
I now have a 3.5 Delphi AF10056 Mass Air Flow Sensor
My question, can I still use the same ECM chip program or do I have send my ECM chip back to Full Throttle to be reprogram for the updates?
I replaced the original muffler, with Walker’s muffler, and intermediate pipes; as I modified the original tail pipes.
Made a Boost Leak Tester, and found 7 small vacuum leaks, including the one with the Throttle body shaft seal.
I reconfigure the MAF pipe set up with the new MAF sensor and new air filter to a new location.
After running the engine I have been having some BLM issues of being around 146, with the fuel pressure set point of 43psi (vacuum hose on).
 I readjusted the AFP to 45psi (vacuum hose on), and the scanmaster reading as follows:
02         398-718
AF        05
LB        32
BAT     13.9
INT      126-130
BLM    132-137
NPH    0
CLT     178
ATS     129
R          825
TBP     .44
IAC      20
CC       41-131
NAL     0

Vacuum    16-17
A/F           14.8-15.0
OIL PSI     30
AFP          45 (hose on)
                 52(hose off)

I unplug the orange ECM wire reset and save the numbers that is written.
I also driven the car feels strong and I did notice my turbo indicator light came on,
(Digital Display) to which ever came on until I repaired the vacuum leaks.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: MAF replacement with scanmaster numbers
« Reply #3 on: November 23 2019, 04:48:34 PM »
Fuel Pressure is base - it needs to be set with the vacuum line off.
Sounds like you have a translator and a ls1/lt1 maf. Everything will work fine with your chip.
Exhaust looks better but looks extremely restrictive imo. 
IhaveaV8

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23 2019, 05:21:40 PM »
Fuel Pressure is base - it needs to be set with the vacuum line off.
Sounds like you have a translator and a ls1/lt1 maf. Everything will work fine with your chip.
Exhaust looks better but looks extremely restrictive imo.
Thanks for the reply, but I do have a question, after reading a lot of different ways to adjust the afp, is the correct procedure is after engine is warm up remove the afp vacuum hose off then make adjustment or remove the afp vacuum hose, plug the vacuum hose and then adjust afp to 38psi to set the correct fuel pressure of 45psi with vacuum hose on, or leave afp vacuum hose on and adjust fuel to 45psi?

When you say the exhaust looks extremely restrictive, is that because I still have the exhaust catalytic converter?
If so; many years ago I gutted the catalytic converter, and if not then why would it be extremely restrictive?
Mass Air Flow Sensor - Delphi AF10056 - 3-1/2"
« Last Edit: November 23 2019, 05:34:31 PM by gnonyx »

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Simply start the car - remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator, set the fuel pressure to 45 and then reconnect the vacuum line. When you reconnect the vacuum line the pressure will drop - this is normal. Shut the car off - reset the pcm. And then you are good to go.
The exhaust is crush and crinkle bent - doesn’t flow well. 
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
As long as the translator is compatible with that MAF it should be fine. I’m not familiar with that unit. If you haven’t yet check out Steve’s vortex Buick site. 
IhaveaV8

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23 2019, 07:15:31 PM »
I have to ask ,did you set the translater switches to the correct maf and chip setting?

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
Simply start the car - remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator, set the fuel pressure to 45 and then reconnect the vacuum line. When you reconnect the vacuum line the pressure will drop - this is normal. Shut the car off - reset the pcm. And then you are good to go.
The exhaust is crush and crinkle bent - doesn’t flow well.

Yes I do agree what you're saying about the bents, but my expense right now is remodeling our house, and this patch work will have to do for now.
Thanks for your input

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
As long as the translator is compatible with that MAF it should be fine. I’m not familiar with that unit. If you haven’t yet check out Steve’s vortex Buick site.

I didn't purchased it at Highway Star, but it's the same one
https://www.highwaystars.net/mass-air-flow-sensor-delphi-af10056-3-1-2-for-use-with-maf-translator/

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23 2019, 08:24:53 PM »
I have to ask ,did you set the translater switches to the correct maf and chip setting?

The translator Sw setting: on, on, on, off    Base:0     WOT:0

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 23 2019, 09:46:51 PM »
fuel pressure with hose off as Jeremy stated.

Question, Does Bob's Commander chip use on, on, on, off or is it one of his "extended" chips?

Okay, it looks like on, on, on, off is correct :)

« Last Edit: November 23 2019, 09:51:48 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
fuel pressure with hose off as Jeremy stated.

Question, Does Bob's Commander chip use on, on, on, off or is it one of his "extended" chips?

Okay, it looks like on, on, on, off is correct :)

Yes that is correct setting, and I will readjust the fuel pressure with the vacuum hose off to 45psi, after adjustment is made place vacuum hose back onto afp, shut engine off, unplug orange wire, the reconnect orange wire, start car warm up again and check BLM value. I will post results
Thanks Steve for your input

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
Okay today I disconnected the connecting wire, and vacuum hoses going to the EGR, and atfer warn engine, readjusted the afp, disconnected the orange wire to reset, scanmaster reading as follow:

Readjusted and the scanmaster reading as follows:
 02         632-730
 AF         05
 LB         31-35
 BAT       13.7
 INT        124
 BLM       133
 NPH       0
 CLT        173
 ATS       108
 R           825
 TBP       .44
 IAC        16
 CC         50-115
 NAL       0

Vacuum    16
 A/F           14.7-15.1
 OIL PSI     26
 AFP          38 (hose on)
               45 (hose off)

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24 2019, 04:47:26 PM »
That’s about what I’d expect. How does it run and drive?
IhaveaV8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal