Author Topic: Thoughts On 4.1 Liter Based Builds?  (Read 14768 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts On 4.1 Liter Based Builds?
« Reply #15 on: January 01 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
I cracked two separate cylinders and went into the water jackets in a .030 over 109. I'd want as much 'meat' between the cylinder wall and water jacket as possible. I currently run a standard bore 109...for good reason.

Are you telling me that the 3.8L 109 block has thicker cylinder walls than the 4.1L blocks?

Is the 3.8L block more rigid?

What weaknesses does the 4.1L block have?

Call Nick Micale. He's the pro at building 4.1's. He can tell you everything about the 4.1. I'd ask why you want to build a 4.1. I'm assuming you want the extra cubes for a larger turbo/more HP. A stroked 3.8 gives very little in return for the cash you have to throw at it. If all you wanna do is run 10.5 or slower then all you need is a 3.8 with a better crank and two steel mains. Try and get a block as close to standard bore as possible. A 6265 with a race convertor from Dusty would get the job done easily for 10.5's. If you want something slower like mine then the 6262 will get it done easy. If you have your heart set on building a 4.1 then give Nick a call.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
My 4.1 is bored 0.040 but I do have a girdle.  I'll really put it to the test this summer.

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
Interesting article on core shift & sonic testing. I read something like that before years ago, but not as informative.

The author mentioned using grout or block filler towards the end of the article. Any benefit in using block filler for the Turbo Buick V6?

Wanting to build a reliable street engine capable of 10's. The Buick Regal is a bit heavy & the displacement is a bit small. Figured increasing the displacement would be beneficial. Plus it looks like building a 4.1 isn't much more expensive than a 3.8. I would like to remove the original engine & moth-ball it.

PS. I've talked with Nick some. It would be nice to deliver my car & write a check, but I can't do that. Will have to build it myself.
See The Old Guys Thump Their Chest & Reminisce About How They Used To Be "Somebody".

Buick Info? Its Top Secret. LOL!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01 2018, 07:01:38 PM »
Right there with ya. Pretty much why I picked up the 4.1 about 15 yrs back. I don't think you need the cubes to run in the tens but without em will require more turbo, more boost, and probably more converter to get it moving.

With the advent of decent aluminum heads, this is where I would be looking to make power. TA makes some real nice stuff. And with them being AL you can go that much bigger in compression ratio and be able to make the power there too. Also need the "right" cam profile to get that dynamic cr where it needs to be.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01 2018, 08:41:37 PM »
Why not just go to a v8 with a turbo?

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01 2018, 09:05:08 PM »

Yeah... But then the car loses its identity. Might as well sell it & buy a plain Jane G-Body to use.

I do have a nice set of aluminum heads.
See The Old Guys Thump Their Chest & Reminisce About How They Used To Be "Somebody".

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 01 2018, 11:05:26 PM »

Amen it

Yeah... But then the car loses its identity. Might as well sell it & buy a plain Jane G-Body to use.

I do have a nice set of aluminum heads.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02 2018, 12:10:37 PM »

Blasphemy!!  The first time I took ran the 4.1, I ran it on pump gas.  First run was a 12.3 running big rich and it was all 11's after that.  I had a guy with a Regal V8 come up and was impressed I ran a 12.3 and he was more shocked when I showed him the 11 sec time slips.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Methinks you missed the TURBO part tho.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02 2018, 04:50:02 PM »

Because who wants to be confused with the likes of me?
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
Methinks you missed the TURBO part tho.

Nope!  There was a twin turbo Camaro that ran at the track with a 630 cu in motor and I still think it was more impressive to see my buddy's Stage II rip off 7.9's with 1 less turbo and with less than 1/2 the cubes.

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 02 2018, 11:20:26 PM by Cool Guy »

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03 2018, 12:25:42 AM »
I wish I would have poured mine (and my 454 boat engine).   Both times I thought about it after final honing.

I've heard you have to do it before due to flex while curing, or some such shit.  Personally I find that hard to believe but I wasn't going to risk a set of new pistons to find out.

Sorta like after ''I heard'' you have to line bore/hone blocks when changing to studs....    According to my bore gauge, that's not based in truth.  Not one bit.

I wouldn't mind reinforcing the cylinders when there's no downside other than a slight weight penalty.  I wasn't going to use that fancy schmancy (read:expensive) stuff though.  I was planning to mix up some sort of plaster 'o Paris with a buttload of brake lathe shavings.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03 2018, 10:04:24 AM »
One or more of those links show torque plates in place during the pouring & curing of the block filler. Perform the fill prior to the machining. I suspect that Buick V6 torque plates may not be very common at many machine shops.

Thought I read on one of the product descriptions that the material is not any heavier than the coolant it displaces.

Obviously the block filler should mimic the blocks thermal characteristic s (expansion/contraction) as much as possible.

Anyone know how block fill would affect the cooling of a street driven V6?

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
How fast do you plan on going?  If you're looking for 9's just girdle the motor.  Here is a pic of mine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal