Author Topic: New parts  (Read 6647 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
New parts
« on: December 21 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
So i think I mentioned that I got the turbo and converter installed in another thread on here. I had some time to finally drive the car again and I noticed that the boost would go to 11 lbs, which is cool because I had it set super low. So, I get on the highway and notice the slow spool and the struggle to maintain any boost. Fast forward three days later(last night), I had some time to check some shit out. I looked at the WG rod and it was adjusted too far. No biggie, I'll shorten it. First test pull, boost shoots up fast as shit, I let up(on it's way passed 20). I re-adjust the wg rod again, lengthening it almost back to where it was, but not too far to where it wont build boost, and I think the lowest it was spiking to was 18-19 lbs in first gear. Needless to say, I conclude that the turbo needs to be ported (THANKS SCOOBUM) seeing that I have a low boost actuator and my rjc boost controller backed all the way out. This turbo and converter pairing is incredible!! Spools just as fast if not faster than the stock setup for sure.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: New parts
« Reply #1 on: December 21 2017, 08:57:49 AM »
Sorry, the reason I conclude that it needs to be ported is because the boost settles back down to around 13 lbs or so after the initial hit. Car pulls insane for sure though.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 21 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
Sounds like it to me.  But before you start that process, why don't you just disconnect everything from the turbo and simply run a hose straight from the port on the turbo compressor housing to the port on the actuator.  That way, the only adjustment you will have is the wastegate rod length.    Start with about an 1/8" pull on the rod to connect it to the wastegate arm.

See what happens
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
Phil...porting isn't an exact science. Take a little at a time...and go out and try it. I know it's time consuming...bu t be patient. Take too much...and it won't boost. Steves referring to tuner style for the vacuum hose setup. Now...read carefully. Buy REINFORCED vacuum line...and zip tie the hell out of it. I got stupid years ago...and used regular vacuum hose. The shit collapsed...ov erboosted it...and I sent a pair of headgaskets into orbit around the space station. I overboosted it so horribly...tha t it twisted the drivers side head.

Quick vid on setting the actuator rod...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTxI66ha3z0
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
Damn scoobum!!! That's wild as hell man! I think I will adjust the WG arm one more time. I have the rjc backed all the way out at this point so it's def at it's minimal setting. Keep you posted

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
I also plan to install this alky kit I have laying around. It's non progressive but it's safer and better than just pure 93. I can't afford the progressive kit at the moment after the purchase of this turbo and converter.  :hmm

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
I also plan to install this alky kit I have laying around. It's non progressive but it's safer and better than just pure 93. I can't afford the progressive kit at the moment after the purchase of this turbo and converter.  :hmm

Sitting around. I'd be worried the pump might be weak. I'm sure Steve will read this. He should have a link for a new pump...they're inexpensive... compared to head gaskets. Is the pump internal or external? Is the pump in the alky tank...or outside of it?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #7 on: December 21 2017, 04:06:15 PM »
I know my roll but imho get the cah right before you go adding anything. And if I'm not mistaken there's a pretty good thread around here about porting.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
I have a low boost actuator and my rjc boost controller backed all the way out. This turbo and converter pairing is incredible!! Spools just as fast if not faster than the stock setup for sure.

Backing out lowers boost level.  Tightening down on the spring raises the cracking point of the MBC so boost goes up.

You never want to have the wastegate arm pulled banjo tight, that will limit the amount the puck can open before your run out of throw.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 21 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
I think I would leave the alky off and run it at 17 psi with a turbotweak chip until you can afford the current alky systems
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
it's only for safety. I dont plan to turn boost up(unless it allows for it), but buying a pump is cheaper than these test runs risking something else. I got a link to a replacement pump and plan to do the swap soon. I'm not as anal about my car as some are, as I'll take what i can get. The kit is a dual nozzle with the internal pump. I was never able to achieve any success running WOT at any boost level in third gear and the O2's reflect what they should. FP was always good, raising 1 to 1 as it should, but the O2's never went up. That's for another thread though, in the meantime, I'm dealing with setting the WG rod again and replacing this pump.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
I'll keep you guys posted on my success. I doubt I purchase a "modern" day kit any time soon, if ever. I hate hearing the threats of people motors blowing up if they don't get blah blah blah. The shit in the past worked just as well(in it's hay day) as this new stuff. The only issues I could find with the older non progressive shit is the difficulty of tuning (spray too early the bogging happens, spray too late you're screwed lol) and the strength of the pump. I don't plan on running anything crazy like most, as I want a fix for potential shitty gas that I might be getting here in STL. I'll take whatever risks come with it, which I really don't see any. I see more of a risk trying to tune on 93 alone. That's just my opinion though. I always value you guys' opinion, as you've taught me everything I know. I'll be in touch! :cheers:

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Phil, I didn't realize you were in STL. I'm there at least once a year in July/August. 
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
Yes sir, this is where I am! Do you travel here for work?

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
Yes sir, this is where I am! Do you travel here for work?
Yes sir. Once a year it's back to O'Fallon for recurrent training. We fly out of Spirit
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal