Author Topic: Rear Tire DR Size for daily driver  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Jonmrc69

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Rear Tire DR Size for daily driver
« on: April 04 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Hey Guys- new to this board, owned my '85 for 2 years, just converted to 87 intercooled. TE44 turbo. Now I need traction! I have 17's Torq Thrust on it now, really like the size and look. Rears are 255. I need to go with drag radials.....wh at size works best? I can get 275/40-17 Nitto 555's to keep the same rim size, might need spacers though (limited rim sizes). Do I need to go back to 15" to have some sidewall for traction?
Will the 275's fit stock fenders (not rolled)?
85 GN I just converted to 87 I/C (2017), TE 44, 42#, TurboTweek 94, 3" Kirban DP, Pypes 2.5", Transgo shift improver

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Rear Tire DR Size for daily driver
« Reply #1 on: April 04 2017, 10:02:56 AM »
I think many of us run 275/60-15s which are 28" tall tires.  The most important thing is to run a 8" wide wheel with a 4" back spacing to keep them between the fender lips and the frame
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Jonmrc69

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
Thanks Steve. We've been emailing about my project. I just joined this site. I don't know what happened to my post- look real close and most of the text is shrunk microscopic... ..only the last line is readable.
My real question was 17" rims vs. 15" rims. I have 17" torq thrust, black centers on the car. I love the look. But the shorter sidewall on the slick will hurt traction? Will the 275/40-17" slick hoop up?
Thanks,
Jon
85 GN I just converted to 87 I/C (2017), TE 44, 42#, TurboTweek 94, 3" Kirban DP, Pypes 2.5", Transgo shift improver

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 04 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
Not as well as a 15" due to the lack of side wall but the drag radials are not as bad as a slick since the radials are all less "giving" when it comes to sidewall flex.  I like the look of the torque thrusts as well.  I have a copy on my challenger but I am just running regular Nitto radials.  Maybe one of the younger, more modern guys can relate some experience with the 17's and drag radials
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
I see your post went small letters like mine when I copy & paste.

Thanks Steve. We've been emailing about my project. I just joined this site. I don't know what happened to my post- look real close and most of the text is shrunk microscopic...[/size] [/size]..only the last line is readable.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
UNSHRUNK:
Jonmrc69
Hey Guys- new to this board, owned my '85 for 2 years, just converted to 87 intercooled. TE44 turbo. Now I need traction! I have 17's Torq Thrust on it now, really like the size and look. Rears are 255. I need to go with drag radials.....wh at size works best? I can get 275/40-17 Nitto 555's to keep the same rim size, might need spacers though (limited rim sizes). Do I need to go back to 15" to have some sidewall for traction?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Jonmrc69

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
Huh, I dont recall copy and pasting, but I may have. Thanks for the heads up Dave.
Any thoughts on  DR tire size and brand? Will the 17" w'shorter side wall be OK for a driver?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal