Author Topic: Earl Pistons  (Read 7114 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Earl Pistons
« Reply #15 on: November 06 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
No idea what 'back on track' really means though. I realize it's a money thing and ran like a business. That makes 100% sense.   But the only reason that style of business is able to charge anything is because the 'product' is volunteers that gather together and post.  Now I get if someone makes 99% of posts in the for sale section then, yeah, hammer time.  That type of person isn't a part of the community, that example is someone on the outside pulling money out of the community while not participating.

i was away from all the boards for several months this/last year and I noticed a huge change in the people and the types of posts when I started going back

It seems the people I recognize have figured out most of what they need to know (or know enough to do accurate searches). And the newbies just seem awful now.

I can't tell you how often I've skipped posts where guys are just practically demanding you solve their problem AND you have to do it in a way that agrees with how they want the problem to be.

It really takes the fun out of giving away free tech advice.  ..and this is from someone that has no problem overlooking  best turbo/widest tire stock rim/ powerplate a restriction/ biggest cam questions.

I think it's just the passage of time. The cars are 30 years old now and there's parts and things that need to be addressed today that just weren't factors 10~15 years ago.

If my theory is right a lot of cars in iffy shape with potential are going to get ruined from newbs breaking the hell out of them before making it mechanically sound first.  Then they'll get parked in long grass outside or get a 350/350 stuck in them with black tape and hanger wire.
« Last Edit: November 06 2016, 04:24:05 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
I would have sent you my motor to rebuild for me Earl if I knew it would be sitting at the machine shop for over a year!  And I'm keeping my big a$$ cam.  Once I crank up the boost I'm sure it will shine especially now that I have lifters that can handle 7000rpm never mind those crappy 853 that would collapse at anything after 5500rpm. :013:

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06 2016, 11:02:20 PM »
Big ass cams work with more compression  :)

It's the dynamic that really matters!
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07 2016, 09:42:38 AM »
Plus the "bigg a$$" provides that nasty idle.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 07 2016, 09:45:25 AM »
I would have sent you my motor to rebuild for me Earl if I knew it would be sitting at the machine shop for over a year!  And I'm keeping my big a$$ cam.  Once I crank up the boost I'm sure it will shine especially now that I have lifters that can handle 7000rpm never mind those crappy 853 that would collapse at anything after 5500rpm. :013:

Good thing you have that crank and rods that will handle 7000 rpm more than once!  :D
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
True dat! I won't be buzzing to 7k but I think one of my biggest issues is not running on all cylinders.  My one run I cracked an 11.8 with the converter unlocked, a 1.8x 60ft on straight pump gas,17psi on the CPT66,and the motor was knocking bad after the 1/8.  I thought some thing was majorly wrong.  Pulled the valve cover on the drivers side and no movement what so ever on the rockers on number 5 cylinder.  Later I discovered the shims on the rocker shaft were binding.  I changed out those 2 lifters and everytime I would step on it my motor would have a loud lifter tick.  I did run an 11.5 but the motor was still farting and popping down the 1/4.

Thinking really hard of getting the Turbonetics 6468.  Hopefully, next summer will be fun!  Where is the burn rubber icon?

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07 2016, 10:19:53 AM »

The 224/224 isn't really that Nasty in the 4.1 especially being a roller.  My old Conley's cam sounded nasty!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 07 2016, 10:59:39 AM »

The 224/224 isn't really that Nasty in the 4.1 especially being a roller.  My old Conley's cam sounded nasty!

I had a 221/221 from LC that sounded really bad past 5000 rpm...sounded like an airplane on a strafing run!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
My old Conley's cam made my 4.1 sound like a 350 Chevy, sounded loud and deep not like the wimpy sounding stock 6 cylinder.  When I put the roller in, I was like what happened to the sound, not as loud or deep.  Maybe the higher compression will make it sound better! :chin:

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
Since the bad ass idle comes from a piss poor vac signal, higher compression 'helps' that too.    When I pulled my engine and ONLY changed the slugs, I lost the  'rump rump' my 215/220 roller had.   Then going to the TT chip (that isn't right for my buid really made it idle smooth :(

IT barks the hell out of second now with about 2% throttle. So that's something.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal