Author Topic: No Spark!!  (Read 8629 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: No Spark!!
« Reply #15 on: August 27 2015, 06:33:09 PM »
Check your end play with a dial indicator.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
I know. :(   I was thinking that as soon as I tried putting the new sensor in and it touches the dampener.  But that being said the old sensor is a few mm shorter and more so where broken.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
When mine went out, it started with a strange ding sound. That was the reluctor wheel hitting the sensor.  Good find!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28 2015, 04:19:29 AM »
I know. :(   I was thinking that as soon as I tried putting the new sensor in and it touches the dampener.  But that being said the old sensor is a few mm shorter and more so where broken.

If that was an original sensor, you'll be needing the bracket too.   For some reason about 20 years ago the dimensions where changed and the 'upgraded' sensor needs a matching bracket.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
Good info Earl...thanks. :)
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
If that was an original sensor, you'll be needing the bracket too.   For some reason about 20 years ago the dimensions where changed and the 'upgraded' sensor needs a matching bracket.

I was hoping to just slip the new one in the old bracket but no go.  So I took the old bracket off and it was identical to the one I had.  So I have the same bracket and little taller crank position sensor. :chin:

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
The sensor that was on there measured 17.9 mm and there was no wear on the top of it other than the center section being taken out.  The aftermarket one measured 20.5mm and I traded it in for another one that measured 20.1mm. 

Does anyone know if the plastic v's form an electrical loop?  If not then I should be able to file the top off so the after market one fits.  I'm going to send Highway stars an email and see if they can measure the one they are selling for me.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
Does anyone know if the plastic v's form an electrical loop? 

It is a Hall effect sensor, so it depends where the magnetic field(s) are/managed. 

According to this video both slots are active: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWYJhcVXw_M
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28 2015, 10:04:36 PM »
Does anyone know if the plastic v's form an electrical loop? 

It is a Hall effect sensor, so it depends where the magnetic field(s) are/managed. 

According to this video both slots are active: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWYJhcVXw_M

That I know, but I want to know how far up the plastic slots it goes or if it goes right to the top.  I might file one down for an experiment to see how far I can go before it doesn't work.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
It would be pretty simple to test if you had another pigtail and could set up the power, ground, and signal (to a voltmeter) wires; and then just pass a length of metal through the slots to establish its sensitivity range up/down/in/out.  Then modify.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29 2015, 01:57:03 PM »
It would be pretty simple to test if you had another pigtail and could set up the power, ground, and signal (to a voltmeter) wires; and then just pass a length of metal through the slots to establish its sensitivity range up/down/in/out.  Then modify.

I can't think well, hungover.  With the ignition on I will pass a metal through the slot and see if it activates the injectors.  When I tested the plug in, you can hear it loud and clear.  I'm thinking it probably isn't a good idea to file it.  I just spoke to a fellow car club member and he has a factory crank sensor so I will grab that one and modify the other one just to see.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal