Author Topic: posi question  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
posi question
« on: July 30 2015, 07:49:18 AM »
New issue....this year when I screw around a do a burnout 30% of the time only one tire spins?? Whats causing this  :O
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: posi question
« Reply #1 on: July 30 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
sounds like the posi needs to be rebuilt...clut ches are worn out, I would guess
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
Stupid question....is that a DIY job. I'll have to do a you tube search :D
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30 2015, 05:20:23 PM »
I did my own but you might be better off having a shop doing it if you don't have dial indicators, etc to check clearances with.  I just swapped  a new Eaton HD into mine but I had to shim it for clearance and such.  You tube will be better at explaining than me
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
I did my own but you might be better off having a shop doing it if you don't have dial indicators, etc to check clearances with.  I just swapped  a new Eaton HD into mine but I had to shim it for clearance and such.  You tube will be better at explaining than me

Steve...in theory...if you replace the shims the way they came out...should all not be well? What backlash did you set yours at? I had a Pro Stock drag racer set mine up...and he gave it a couple more thousands of an inch over stock.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30 2015, 09:39:07 PM »
In theory, if you're only replacing the clutches, reuse the shims in their same spot. If you're going to do side bearings, pinion bearing or housing change, the setup needs to be redone.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30 2015, 10:59:20 PM »
If I remember right, you don't need to pull the carrier to do the clutches.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30 2015, 11:17:22 PM »
I cant find any " how to" info for doing the clutches and I think that is all I need to do. Car only has 60000 on it. Dosent make any noises, just wont spin both tires every now and then.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31 2015, 01:14:58 AM »
If you use the posi additive, get rid of it and see if that fixes your issue.

And keep in mind if one tire has more traction than the other, you can still get 'right tire fire' even if everything is in spec.

The difference it takes to break the axles free from each other is only 60ft/# with a torque wrench hung on a lug stud.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
Ive never had it apart or added anything. When it spins one its the left that spins.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31 2015, 10:42:18 AM »
If I remember right, you don't need to pull the carrier to do the clutches.

I never did & the only hard part was removing & installing the Spring Clips. The rest is pretty simple just put them back in the same as they came out. Probably a Tech article on turbobuicks from the old days. I ordered mine thru Bill Savino way back then.
Make sure to add a drain plug in your cover so it's not so messy next time!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
Brad, I don't remember...I changed the bearings as well as I went to a 30 spline axle and unit
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
Ive never had it apart or added anything. When it spins one its the left that spins.

Now that's just odd.   Engine torque pushes down on the LR and tried to lift the RR.   Not to mention, the drivers side of the car is heavier.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31 2015, 05:07:58 PM »
I know. Last time it happened it left a strip 40 feet long and nothing on the pass side. I better take cover off and see whats going on in there. Cant be that complicated :icon_eyes:

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
Pulling the cover is easy enough.

Clean off the magnet and refill with non synthetic with NO posi additive.     Do a few figure 8's in a parking lot to coat the clutches with fresh jizz, then see if anything changes.

If you're lucky the rear end will chatter when making sharp turns.

Isn't your car fairly low mileage?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal