Author Topic: Transmission Shifter Cable  (Read 7412 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission Shifter Cable
« Reply #15 on: October 22 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
I knew it wasn't going to fit but I tried it anyways.  With the cable fully extended to the transmission end it is about 1 1/8" short compared to the new cable.  That does not include the approx 3/4" that is being lost because that end of the cable it pulled off of the outer jacket.  So the innter cable is close to 2" short compared to the outer.

Side note since moving to Houston from Indiana, customer service across the board: parts stores, restraunts, grocery store, vendors/distributors at work is all lacking compared to the midwest.  I have gotten to the point now where I don't hesitate to just hangup and call right back.  I started asking for paper bags at the grocery stores because the grocery baggers will put two items per bag and I end up with 100 bags.  So even with paper bags they do the same thing, about 4 items per bag.  The look on their face is priceless when I take the items put them all into one or two bags and hand them back the 3 or 4 empties I don't need.  I am not a jerk about it or anything.  If there is a line I don't hold everyone up I just consolidate in the parking lot and leave the empty bags in the cart.

I am going to call around tomorrow and find a place that manufactures cables for industrial, or boat repair or something and have them make me a cable.

I would make my own out of a TCI cable but I can't find a cable end that is 10-32 thread and narrow enough to fit over the transmission and shifter.  Can only come up with rod ends, I need a flat eyelet style end.

I was born in Pasadena and grew up just outside of Baytown in Mont Belvieu. Left that area 3 days after graduation for the military and only go back now for reunions.  My recommendation, get out of there.  I consider Houston to no longer be a part of Texas. There is more ethnic diversity in Houston than in the city of New York. Austin is not much better but it is prettier. Dallas is almost as bad too. Find yourself a little place like we did here in central Texas, I'm sure there's work in the Waco area for you.  And if you miss the city, you're 90 miles from Austin or DFW.  Nice thing about Texas, if you don't like where you're at, you can move 8 hours away and still be in the same state with a completely different culture
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Houston, lived in new caney three years. I think Houston is the butt crack of Texas. And if it isn't midland/odessa is.
I like dfw but it sure isn't what it was twenty years ago.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
Can you just extend that 2 inches with a bracket? (barstock-2 holes & 1 bolt+nut)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
I ordered another cable will see what I get today. 
I now have a new idea.  Maybe my car has the wrong cable or bracket on it.  I am third owner, the second owner is a good friend of mine but who knows what the original owner did.  The trans always felt like it shifteted better than stock and I had found a drain plug in the stock converter.
Anyways does anyone have any pictures of their cable and bracket?  I will take some tonight and post them up.  I was going to try to look through the factory service manual to see if I can see a difference.  While I was laying under the car last night I was thinking that I could move the shifter bracket up one hole on the pan rail and it would be much closer than it is now.  I will experiment with that tonight.  Maybe I just have the wrong cable on the car this whole time.
This has gotten so bad that I am now seriously considering going to a column shifter.  I never liked this clunky console shifter, and always thought the column shift on my 87 n/a regal was better. 
Maybe I will end up with the worlds only column shift WE4.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23 2014, 06:29:26 PM »
They lost my second cable.  They are still looking for it.

Stopped by oreily after waiting 15 minutes the guy didn't know how to use the computer to cross reference the part number.  :068:

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23 2014, 06:30:29 PM »
I knew it wasn't going to fit but I tried it anyways.  With the cable fully extended to the transmission end it is about 1 1/8" short compared to the new cable.  That does not include the approx 3/4" that is being lost because that end of the cable it pulled off of the outer jacket.  So the innter cable is close to 2" short compared to the outer.

Side note since moving to Houston from Indiana, customer service across the board: parts stores, restraunts, grocery store, vendors/distributors at work is all lacking compared to the midwest.  I have gotten to the point now where I don't hesitate to just hangup and call right back.  I started asking for paper bags at the grocery stores because the grocery baggers will put two items per bag and I end up with 100 bags.  So even with paper bags they do the same thing, about 4 items per bag.  The look on their face is priceless when I take the items put them all into one or two bags and hand them back the 3 or 4 empties I don't need.  I am not a jerk about it or anything.  If there is a line I don't hold everyone up I just consolidate in the parking lot and leave the empty bags in the cart.

I am going to call around tomorrow and find a place that manufactures cables for industrial, or boat repair or something and have them make me a cable.

I would make my own out of a TCI cable but I can't find a cable end that is 10-32 thread and narrow enough to fit over the transmission and shifter.  Can only come up with rod ends, I need a flat eyelet style end.

I was born in Pasadena and grew up just outside of Baytown in Mont Belvieu. Left that area 3 days after graduation for the military and only go back now for reunions.  My recommendation, get out of there.  I consider Houston to no longer be a part of Texas. There is more ethnic diversity in Houston than in the city of New York. Austin is not much better but it is prettier. Dallas is almost as bad too. Find yourself a little place like we did here in central Texas, I'm sure there's work in the Waco area for you.  And if you miss the city, you're 90 miles from Austin or DFW.  Nice thing about Texas, if you don't like where you're at, you can move 8 hours away and still be in the same state with a completely different culture

I'm here for the money after a year of being here I was making 50% more than I was in Indiana.  I won't be spending my whole life here.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
Can you just extend that 2 inches with a bracket? (barstock-2 holes & 1 bolt+nut)

I might have to look into this idea.  I missed your post until now.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24 2014, 07:54:33 PM »
Second ATP Y651 cable from advance warehouse finally showed up at the store.  It was also in  package that was preopened, but no extra pieces of broken cable inside this one.

It was a different cable than the first one but it was still the wrong thing. 

I went to a custom cable place north side of houston but they don't make anything this small, I looked at what they could do but it wasn't going to work.  I have a good idea in my head now how to construct this, so I am just going to order a bunch of parts from summit and return the pieces I don't use.

I am getting real sick of this car.   :068: I am reminded why I let it sit for 4 years when the trans gave up.

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Transmission Shifter Cable
« Reply #23 on: October 24 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
Have you looked at a hurst or B&M cable.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Have you looked at a hurst or B&M cable.

That is what I am going to end up with.  Tci also has good options

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
doesnt highway stars make one?
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal