Author Topic: first PL run  (Read 6470 times)

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
first PL run
« on: February 09 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
After a month of trying to get my PL working it seems to be ok now. It seems the newer PLs dont have the usb port grounded and that was causing "noise" that would freeze up PLC. Anyway I installed my TA52 turbo that I traded my TE44 to get. I took the GN out and recorded a run on the road to see where I am at. I kinda rolled into it. Hopefully I attached the file correctly here. How does it look? Im running 110 fuel and trying to get ready to hit the track Feb 14th. Trying to max it out for my fuel. Thanks

Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: first PL run
« Reply #1 on: February 09 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
All looks well. Your 02's in 3rd gear are 770ish at only 4500 RPM's. I'd throw some 3rd gear fuel at it before I made a full WOT 1/4 mile pass...just to be on the safe side. You could lean it out later. RPM drop on the shift is about 700...which is a decent number. Low gear fueling is rich...you can pull some.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Thanks, I would like to work on getting the boost up a little more also. I will work on the fuel adjustments. Car feels real strong.
Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09 2014, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks, I would like to work on getting the boost up a little more also. I will work on the fuel adjustments. Car feels real strong.

Keep in mind the higher you push the boost level...the lower your 02's drop.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 09 2014, 08:31:23 PM »
Looks like you have already added a lot of fuel to it if I am reading the settings correctly...th at surprises me

If I had to bet, I would probably guess that it has enuf fuel, but, it is better to be safe than sorry.  Nothing linear about stock o2s and they often don't change much with a fuel change and then suddenly, they go to hell.    You can always take fuel out after the fact but it's hard to put some in after it blows up :D

Other than spooling more slowly, how did the turbo feel compared to the old one?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09 2014, 08:33:02 PM »

I'm assuming that chip you have was burned for your 44...and I'm betting that's why your 02's are low. The larger turbo is sucking the chip dry. You can add up to 20% fuel...should be enuf to cover your butt even at higher boost.

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
 The car def has a different feel now. The 44 spooled super fast and lit tires. I can get the 52 to leave hard if I build a little boost on the brake first. Now the car feels like it just keeps pulling harder and never drops off.
 my chip was burned for the 44 and 100 octane at 20-22psi. When I started running 110 oct and 24-25psi Eric recommended I add approx 10% fuel and go from there. I have about 2.5% fuel pulled from 1st gear WOT fuel now. Glad the PL is working so I can stop guessing.
Mike G

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09 2014, 10:17:54 PM »
The 52 is between a 60 and 61 as I recall.  It should be capable of 11.0 is the rest of the combo will handle it.  Fuel increases in the chip with rpm so as I said, I suspect it is close to being right...might even be a tad rich given you are running 110 but as I said, better safe than sorry-you can always take away.  If you can build enuf boost to leave hard on the track, it sounds like it might be a good match for your converter.

Remember that 1/2 fueling is an increment off wot fueling so it you add fuel in 3/4, 1/2 will richen up accordingly-get it right on top end and then adjust 1/2
Steve Wood

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
As always I appreciate your guys advice. Does the 52 have a "sweet spot" as far as boost level? My engine is stock unopened with recent Comp 980 springs. Also have stock IC but added a 3" inlet neck on it.
Mike G

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10 2014, 10:59:52 PM »
As you appear to know, that totally depends upon the combination with heads, IC, and cam probably topping the list.  Sweet spots are also more like sweet ranges :)

Most of these seem to fall somewhere around 25-27 psi as a generality in my experience on an average street car in this range of turbo

A good ic might make as much power at 23 as a stock ic at 27 or a good set of heads might gain 40 hp at the same boost...

IMO, some spend way too much time in the garage trying to figure out what is "sweet" in stead of getting out and find out what works with the current combo.  And another group spend too much time trying to figure out what is the magic turbo de jour and talking about it while ignoring that many go as fast or faster with seemingly a lot less.
Steve Wood

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10 2014, 11:19:31 PM »
We should have good weather conditions here friday for TnT so I will be doing my best to dial in my car at the track. Should be low 70s to high 60s when it starts.
Mike G

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10 2014, 11:36:30 PM »
Keep your eye out for a used aftermarket stock location IC...should be good for .2-.3 tenths
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11 2014, 05:10:21 PM »
Like Steve says...sitting around thinking won't do much good. Getting to the track getting seat time is where you learn. Sweet spot...will really depend if you have a combination that "works". An efficient IC...and efficient convertor that also matches your turbo goes a long way...and getting the car to launch hard is just as important. You've got stock unported heads...so they'll act like a restriction... and you won't get the most from that turbo. What I can tell you...is that turbo at 20 PSI...and 27 PSI...is like nite and day difference. With my own car I drag the low gear 02's to 770...and throw a shitload of low gear timing at it. In regards to 3rd gear, I pull the 02's into 730's and leave the 3rd gear timing on Erics default setting. I don't recommend screwing around with the timing...unles s you honestly know what you're doing.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
100%!

Boost beats timing ever time! 

I know someone that went mid tens a few months ago on pump gas and alky with 18 degs of timing.  He had a big turbo that would flow all the air he needed and not heat it up...

these days, now that we have a broad selection of turbos that will do the job, I only play with the timing in 1/2 to help launch the car if the converter is a bit tight.  Lean it down, increase the timing-that heats the exhaust more and heat is what spools the turbo.

BTW, your tranny is not showing third gear...noticed that when I looked at your coverter slippage
Steve Wood

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
Dont TT chips use mph to figure what gear the car is in? What will be affected with that not working? I have added more overall fuel to be safe and pulled a little more 1st gear fuel. I have left my timing at 25-21 like I have been running. Boost is 24-25 to start out with. After my first pass friday I will see how it looks. Around my house its real hard to make a long pass up to 100+. I also finally found a group of turbo Buick guys here in town. A few of them seem to know their shit.
Mike G

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal