Author Topic: A Good, Quick Read on VE % vs. Boost Pressure  (Read 8150 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: A Good, Quick Read on VE % vs. Boost Pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 15 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
I can't believe I read that
I can't hardly  read can't spell
I'm hoping the new Champion heads and intake make my car faster at the same boost
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 15 2013, 06:29:19 PM »
I can't believe I read that
I can't hardly  read can't spell
I'm hoping the new Champion heads and intake make my car faster at the same boost

It's is completely apples and oranges.  If the heads and intake have less restriction, then the boost number is no longer related to your prior boost number.  And, it gets further complicated in that aluminum is thermally less efficient than iron so it takes a higher level of heat within the combustion chamber to produce the same amount of power as the iron heads.  That is why we raise the compression a point on average to try to make up for the thermal weakness of the aluminum head.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
will i read enough to get Irons
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16 2013, 12:32:47 AM »
I got 6 or 7 posts in before I was too stupid to work the mouse wheel and had to give up.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16 2013, 12:57:24 AM »
I'm with Earl on this one. The more I read either I got a lot dumber or the posts did. Just couldn't tell which. :O
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
LOL!!!
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16 2013, 10:21:03 AM »
I quit reading because I am usually in a state of confusion to begin with....I don't need any more
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
Aluminum is a much better conductor than iron.  Aluminum has a coefficient of thermal conductivity of 206 W/m'C (watts per meter celsius) compared to iron at 70 W/m'C.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
Aluminum is a much better conductor than iron.  Aluminum has a coefficient of thermal conductivity of 206 W/m'C (watts per meter celsius) compared to iron at 70 W/m'C.

Thanks for verifying my statement.

Engines run on the heat from the combustion process.  Aluminum bleeds more heat out of the combustion chamber than does iron.  This reduces power and makes it more inefficient than iron when it comes to power production.

We raise the compression to build more heat during combustion to make up for the loss.  We can also use thermal coatings on the piston tops and combustion chambers to keep the heat within the cylinder to drive the piston down harder and coat the inside of the exhaust port to try to keep the heat out of the coolant which may aggravate detonation
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
I have to do a government exam on this stuff right away.  One of the good things about aluminum being a good conductor is on the exhaust stroke it helps expel more heat so when the compression stroke occurs it is compressing denser gas because it isn't as hot.  The down side is you don't want to dissipate the heat on the power stroke.  You want to convert as much heat energy to mechanical energy as possible, ie. efficiency.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
Okay might not have come out right.  I was kind of referring to the Carnot cycle, which is the ideal cycle.  Replace the cylinder head with basically a hot body, non-conductor, and cold body.  But you are correct we want to keep as much of the heat in the cylinder as possible and not reject it.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
I never had any doubt :)

The advantage that aluminum has over iron is that it is cheap to cast in smaller numbers, and it weighs a lot less.  In a racing environment, it is also easy to repair.  You have to look at the entire elephant and not just its ears or trunk.  This topic is really relevant to performance and not general science.  Else, we will soon be touting the wonders of electric power :D
Steve Wood

Offline ttipe

• VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY NUT CASE
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
I read this thread and had to hurl! 1) In the specific case of aluminum heads for LC2 the valves and seats are larger, and unshrouded, therefore more charge air per intake stroke. The flow data from both Champion & TA support the fact that untouched Aluminums will out flow most (if not all ported irons). Since aluminum heads likely flow more air (at 28 inches on the water monometer) than iron, does boost (or unusable intake air quantity go down???) Yes if all other conditions are equal. If a greater amount of air by volume (aluminum) and a greater mass density due to cooler temperature (aluminum) makes it to the combustion chamber is more gas required to meet the commanded air/fuel ratio? YES!! Since the spark plug location (aluminum) is closer to the intake and exhaust valve might the thought occur that the chamber burn rate is faster?( Less octane req'd??). This is somewhat verifiable by the fact that aluminum head cars with higher static compression ratios run pump gas (without alky) at higher boost levels than iron head motors. Temperature is only one part of the Carnot cycle. You have mass density, potential energy/unit of mass and temperature. These factors combine uniquely in most situations. Folks with aluminum heads that I know without exception say they make better power and have better response than their irons. Is it more expensive to change over to aluminum? YES!!!! Do aluminums have different torque requirements for fasteners? Are aluminums good for newbies?? Probably not!       
4" CAI, severely modded TA61, PTE slic with modded scoop,Weber shrtblock (in process modded Hemco), ported intake, ported GN1's, 212,206,111 cam, T & D 1.6 ratio,8.51 to 1,TA headers,60 lb's , XFI, 8an fuel feed, 6an return, 340L, 9.5 PTC 3200, Janis 2004R, boxed upr & lwrs, HR sway bar 275/ 60r/15s

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I read this thread and had to hurl! 1) In the specific case of aluminum heads for LC2 the valves and seats are larger, and unshrouded, therefore more charge air per intake stroke. The flow data from both Champion & TA support the fact that untouched Aluminums will out flow most (if not all ported irons). Since aluminum heads likely flow more air (at 28 inches on the water monometer) than iron, does boost (or unusable intake air quantity go down???) Yes if all other conditions are equal. If a greater amount of air by volume (aluminum) and a greater mass density due to cooler temperature (aluminum) makes it to the combustion chamber is more gas required to meet the commanded air/fuel ratio? YES!! Since the spark plug location (aluminum) is closer to the intake and exhaust valve might the thought occur that the chamber burn rate is faster?( Less octane req'd??). This is somewhat verifiable by the fact that aluminum head cars with higher static compression ratios run pump gas (without alky) at higher boost levels than iron head motors. Temperature is only one part of the Carnot cycle. You have mass density, potential energy/unit of mass and temperature. These factors combine uniquely in most situations. Folks with aluminum heads that I know without exception say they make better power and have better response than their irons. Is it more expensive to change over to aluminum? YES!!!! Do aluminums have different torque requirements for fasteners? Are aluminums good for newbies?? Probably not!       

SUCCESS!  I hope you puked on yourself. :icon_lol:

My buddy's Stage II heads, have a 10' valve, flow 335 cfm@.5 lift, he runs a .680 lift cam.  What aluminum heads will out flow these?  Yes I know your talking LC2, but what aluminum head matches the Stage II?  The car ran a 7.9@179 with 24psi of boost on an old T-88 and not on alcohol.  Yet you have to listen to all these pros chirp about how that isn't even possible to run. The funny part was the car was built by turbo pros and kept blowing up, because they messed up in a few areas which they never should have.  He laughed when he fixed it, but he got the car at a good price.

I don't claim to be an expert, like yourself.  I have friend that works for a top NHRA team that does heads.  They do things that defy logic all the time, but if they go fast that is the only thing that matters.

I knew with "Volumetric Efficiency Nut"  you'd chirp in! :rock:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal