Author Topic: RJC boost controller  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
RJC boost controller
« on: September 06 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
What a pain in the ass. I'm no engineer but if you design a device that basically goes "in-line" in a hose wouldnt the basic principal be to have both ends be the same frickin size???? Instead of a quick easy install in the parking lot, now at home I'll need to remove the actuator, fight with the WAY to small supplied hose to get on the nipple, re-install and go from there.

Easy shit is never easy  :013: :013: :013: 
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: RJC boost controller
« Reply #1 on: September 06 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
As an engineer, in my professional opinion, I would say "yes, that's a good idea, we should do it that way"

87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
The problem is "he" didn't design anything... it is made from crap you can pick up at Home Depot and there are lots of online tutorials on how to make your own.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline firebird_1252

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: -1
    • View Profile
RJC boost controller
« Reply #3 on: September 08 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
This one always baffled me.  Why not just adjust at the waste gate? I guess people like making things difficult. Or they just want to be fancy saying they got a boost controller?
87 GN- :D
2011 Jeep Liberty.. its trail rated!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 08 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
This one always baffled me.  Why not just adjust at the waste gate? I guess people like making things difficult. Or they just want to be fancy saying they got a boost controller?

Because the more you shorten the rod, the less the wastegate can open.  That means as the boost comes up on a larger turbo, the high volume of relief flow that is required to control the boost is diminished and we get boost creep.

With an external control, we can allow the wastegate puck to open fully and do a better job of keeping the boost set where we want it.

The manual type of controllers also allow the boost to rise to the desired amount before it opens which gives us a quicker spool up.  The stock wastegate normally starts to open  before the desired point which slows down the ramp up to full boost.

This is the weakness of the tuner style of boost control.  The wastegate solenoid is no longer keeping the bleed open which diverts a bit away from the puck so it starts to open sooner and slows the time to full boost.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09 2013, 08:23:25 AM »
I installed mine in the parking lot here at work....

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
I installed mine in the parking lot here at work....

Your hands must be toddler size   :icon_lol:    :cheers:
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
 :chin:

Offline rastaz

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
RJC boost controller
« Reply #8 on: September 10 2013, 04:11:31 PM »
The RJC works fine but I don't like having to pull the hose off to adjust it or that it doesn't mount to anything nicely... I like things to look neat and professional so I now run a Turbosmart boost tee.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
Rob

86 WH1
87 GN
89 TTA

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
I agree that the brass does stand out like a sore thumb in the engine bay. Until I get it set I have both hoses long but once I have a chance to do some tuning I can set it and then shorten the hoses and zip tie it to the fuel line hidden by the turbo shield. if you look you will see it but it will be mostly hidden.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal