Author Topic: Freshen up a motor  (Read 13470 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
Re: Freshen up a motor
« Reply #45 on: August 15 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
Did you ever end up cutting the oil filter open? Or were you just looking at the oil in the drain bucket?

I cut it open and it didn't seem to have anything wrong with the filter its self ... very strange next step is drop the oil pan tomorrow or this weekend.
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Freshen up a motor
« Reply #46 on: August 15 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
Some roller engines tick more than others and it seems that some of the Comp Cams roller lifters make a bunch of noise and if you believe everything you read on the internet the Morrel roller lifters are quieter if not quiet. 

If you want, go to a heavy truck shop and see if they have kits that will let you send your oil off to be analyzed.  I have many reports from the late 80's from GN #1 and they give a fair amount of info.  You just have to get a CLEAN sample of oil to them.  That means you fill up the sample jar with oil that is currently draining out of the oil pan, not from a catch can that has crap built up in the bottom from many different vehicles.

Blackstone Labs USA will send you a container for a sample to mail them
I have one here if you want to use it?
« Last Edit: August 15 2013, 04:57:47 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal