Author Topic: oil leaks / James Bond -007 smoke screen  (Read 3921 times)

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
oil leaks / James Bond -007 smoke screen
« on: October 31 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Well, got home yesterday after my last drive of the season before putting car away in winter storeage.
Can smell burning oil and saw tons of grey smoke in my rearview mirror, however this was present only as I got into boost on the hiway and hi speeds.

Kinda reminded me of the old James Bond 007 movies where he deploys a smoke screen while peeling off in his Aston Martin. LOL

Noticed lots of oil on crossover pipe and transmission inspection cover & cross member, etc...all oil soaked etc....

Always had a bit of a weeping rear main seal.....and noticed this summer that the blue rubber fel pro oil pan gasket has seen better days.....was protruding in areas and cracked.
I'm pretty sure that this is where the oil is coming from....

Guess it's time to change the oil pan gasket, rear main seal and might as well do the front timimg cover seal at the same time?
I understand that the cork oil pan gasket is the way to go?  Any preferred brand (part #)? Same goes for the rear main seal?

Anyone tell me from their experience doing these repairs if they can be done with the engine still in the car?
Or, is it simply easier to pull the motor to do these.

May consider changing the timing chain & gears too while I'm at it.

I have a 10" PTC 2800 stall convertor that I was planning on installing.... .since I gotta pull the tranny to do this...maybe just as well pull the motor?

Would appreciated any helpful comments & guidance .

thanks,

dave

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: oil leaks / James Bond -007 smoke screen
« Reply #1 on: October 31 2011, 09:21:19 AM »
If the car is off the road for the winter then I would just pull the motor & take my time with it. So much easier to do work on an engine stand.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 31 2011, 10:19:40 AM »
Yeah...then you can take some sanding rolls to the block and components and do some polishing up of all the casting marks and rough spots so it will look great when you paint it before reinstall.  Also you can clean it up under the hood and paint everything in the engine compartment.

Then you will be finished by spring and can post pictures to compare with David's pics!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
They can be done in the car - MUCH easier with the engine out. However - once you take the time and effort pulling the motor, you will be inclined to replace a lot more parts than you intended initially. not a bad thing, but it can get expensive.

I don't know where to get the cork gaskets though...
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31 2011, 11:02:04 AM »
Yeah...then you can take some sanding rolls to the block and components and do some polishing up of all the casting marks and rough spots so it will look great when you paint it before reinstall.  Also you can clean it up under the hood and paint everything in the engine compartment.

Then you will be finished by spring and can post pictures to compare with David's pics!

I wondered how long until you would say that! :)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
RJC sells extra thick cork pan gaskets & I think now carry some valve cover gaskets.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31 2011, 11:31:16 AM »
You might want to check hiway stars as well for the gaskets. Glen seems to have parts no one else has and if he doesn't he usually tells you where to get them from.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
He only has NOS GM rubber and FelPro rubber. At least on his site..
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Yank the engine...only takes a few minutes. Well...at least for Dan and I.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01 2011, 08:31:43 PM »
The trick is to remove the pan, use a gasket maker called "the Right Stuff". Then reinstall the pan with no gasket. It's cheaper and works.

As far as the timing cover stuff, that's a completely different repair with no overlap. Removing the cover has a bunch of stuff that has to come off. The pan only needs the crossover pipe removed.

If the timing set if 20 years old or has 100,000 on it, it needs to replaced yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 01 2011, 08:39:24 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal