Author Topic: The Last Motor Build for me.  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
The Last Motor Build for me.
« on: October 04 2011, 08:07:50 AM »
I have had many hours of enjoyment building motors over the years. Actually I find it as rewarding as driving the car lately. Anyways, I have gone all out with parts purchases so far but am stuck on the heads? I was going to get Champion Steel heads if for no other reason than they are an easier sell down the road vs home ported cuz the say Champion. I'd bet the ones I have now flow just as well but one engine may get sold as a longblock at some point. I keep looking at the aluminum heads but for some reason they make me nervous. Probably the reason is over the years there are a number of threads & posts about cracking. I haven't heard about that the past couple years.
Regardless of how hard I push the car is irrelevant to me. Again it's my final build & am tempted to go aluminum from Champion. Any reasons that have surfaced lately with using them over steel for longevity? Altho, seems each year the car gets used less & less but that is or was partly due to health reasons & I plan or at least hope that health issues won't be much of a problem over the next 10 years. At least I hope not! The car is built for some 10 sec passes when I get to doing some tuning & now that the boost goes over 21 lbs again.
Any & all input is appreciatted!! I'm in no rush & will pick up my purchase at BPG next year most likely. Maybe sooner if I so get the desire?
Thanks!

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Motor Build for me.
« Reply #1 on: October 04 2011, 09:45:07 AM »
From a cost stand point...go with the Champions. If I had to do it again...that's the way I'd go...got way too much money into these homebrew heads I've got. I'd stick with the cast irons...cuz like you...I've heard horror stories of the pedestals cracking on the aluminums. If all you wanna do is crack the 10's...then bring the car out to Dan and I...and we'll swap in that other convertor before you can get a six pack in ya'. We yanked the trans outta my car in an hour after I blew up Saturday. You can run an easy 10 before the snow flys.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 04 2011, 11:52:43 AM »
If you go aluminum, you need to raise the compression about one point, so plan ahead.  I would probably look at whatever Mike at TA is selling.

Home brew is the way I would go...I am not into names, I am into bang for the buck.    A simple pocket port and intake match will give you 80-90% of what a lot more expensive set of cnc heads give and cnc heads will give you about 90% of what a professional set of hand ported heads will give....

For a ten second turbo car, you gonna be hard pressed to ever demonstrate a performance gain....
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04 2011, 01:46:59 PM »
I agree with everything mentioned & my heads now flow as well as Champion with more invested over the years. A few years back they came from Tim KWIKR1 & we all know how anal he can get with car parts! ;)
In a way I'm curious to see the Champion Irons but what I was also thinking long term was when I do sell this stuff off that any parts with a name stamped onto them will always bring more $$ in a sale whether they are better or not. I guess now that I just read that statement it's not like I'll get the $50K+ I spent since 88 back! So who cares!
I have lots of time cuz the motor went to Martin almost 2 years ago & I said when your not busy, No rush. Well, it's still sitting there cuz they are Busy, but I told him that now I want it by christmas 2011 & not christmas 2012 :)
I think I'll probably stay with the iron heads. There is no benefit for my use at this stage of the game as the car is plenty fast enuf for me. Maybe next year I'll actually get somewhat serious about trying to fine tune it & take advantage of what I have now. Might help justify some of that box of bills I have in the closet!
PS: It's a Big Box!!! ;)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05 2011, 12:03:58 AM »
The big benefit for using iron heads is the "margin of forgiveness". When we deal with borderline knock, temps,  and boost, I think the iron heads will be the most likely to survive.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
I think it will definately be iron & probably Champion just because I'd like to see them compared to the ones I use now that are heavily ported & flow well on the machine.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
don't be surprised if they flow less than yours....hand ported will always win if done by someone that knows what he is doing

Buy your wife something...yo u will get more return on the money :D
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05 2011, 09:02:56 AM »
Buy your wife something...yo u will get more return on the money :D

You may be onto something there! ;)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
Lets get this straight?:

You are ONLY building a motor because you have SOME of the parts already,
no heads?, no.....
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
I have a complete longblock that just needed a ring job but I'm getting it 5 thous over for some CP pistons I got from Nick at Arizona GN that are very slightly used. Crank is fine with a polish,
K-1 rods, caps NOS front cover etc.
I just need some heads to complete what will be a solid engine.
For what I'm not 100% sure yet??  :icon_eyes:

I'll probably throw it in the car & keep my low mile, 10 over engine to sell at some point??
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05 2011, 04:44:04 PM »
I figure it this way...You are old enuf to do what you want (I damn sure do) and its your money.  If it makes you happy, go for it!
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
The older I get the more my body can't take cold weather. So this way, I sit in my heated cave with a beer fridge & some tunes & keep myself busy. Since Feb I haven't done anything physical except drive to BPG & lay around otherwise. I'm getting bored but yet I'm limited in what I can do. Sitting beside an engine is right up my alley!

Steve your right I am old enuf to do what I like BUT just in case the new Kindle was shipped today for my wife! Just good insurance I figure!  :player:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
The road to happiness starts with a good plan....Genera l Patton?
Steve Wood

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
The older I get the more my body can't take cold weather. So this way, I sit in my heated cave with a beer fridge & some tunes & keep myself busy. Since Feb I haven't done anything physical except drive to BPG & lay around otherwise. I'm getting bored but yet I'm limited in what I can do. Sitting beside an engine is right up my alley!

Steve your right I am old enuf to do what I like BUT just in case the new Kindle was shipped today for my wife! Just good insurance I figure!  :player:

A happy wife is a happy life?

AJ___

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06 2011, 07:51:09 AM »
A happy wife is a happy life?

You got it! When they are happy you can get away with lots of stupid stuff! ;)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal