Author Topic: Steering Wheel / Turn Signal Cancelling Cam Problem  (Read 6170 times)

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Steering Wheel / Turn Signal Cancelling Cam Problem
« on: August 25 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
I've broken the locking tab off the white plastic tube inside steering wheel assembly that holds the black plastic spring assemby on horn button.

Have tried to use crazy glue and the right stuff, but it won't hold as the black piece is under tension with the spring and is too great which results in the small piece breaking off.

Can this be replaced? Steering wheel is off, but can't figure out how to remove the plate assembly that covers it.

Can anyone help me please?

thanks,

dave
« Last Edit: August 28 2011, 07:56:20 AM by davpar »

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel / Horn Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
I've broken the locking tab off the white plastic tube inside steering wheel assembly that holds the black plastic spring assemby on horn button.

Have tried to use crazy glue and the right stuff, but it won't hold as the black piece is under tension with the spring and is too great which results in the small piece breaking off.

Can this be replaced? Steering wheel is off, but can't figure out how to remove the plate assembly that covers it.

thanks,

dave

You will need to get a lock plate removal tool, like this:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-LOCK-PLATE-TOOL,2051.html
You should be able to get them at a local parts house.

Once you depress the lock plate with this, take out the circlip that holds the plate, then you can remove it.
Yes, you can buy them. Rock Auto has them for $5.00 and up - The call them "turn signal cam", the proper name is the turn signal cancel / horn cam.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1020957&parttype=1572

Good article:
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/56459/index.html
http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Steering-Column-Repair-2047/2009/04/Exploded-view-GM.jpg
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26 2011, 08:07:33 AM »
Thanks for the info.  :)

It is a great help.

Guess I'll pick up a lock plate removal tool and see if I can get this repaired.

dave

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
I have had 4 attempted thefts in the past, and had to replace the column each time. It gets to be old hat after the first or second. :P

Keep posting!
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26 2011, 09:22:06 AM »
To your other question posted on tb.com:

The plastic disc/part is clipped to the lock plate - you remove them as a unit, using the lock plate removal too linked above.

http://www.garage-scene.com/images/full_size/exploded_view_of_typical_tilt_column_without_key_release_lever-full_size.jpg

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26 2011, 02:28:38 PM »
I have had 4 attempted thefts in the past, and had to replace the column each time. It gets to be old hat after the first or second.
 :P
Keep posting!

Nice neighborhood. Get a dog. :kitty:
(-edit:what kind of board doesn't have a dog icon)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26 2011, 11:51:47 PM »
I have had 4 attempted thefts in the past, and had to replace the column each time. It gets to be old hat after the first or second.
 :P
Keep posting!

Nice neighborhood. Get a dog. :kitty:
(-edit:what kind of board doesn't have a dog icon)

Fuck that. Get a damn CAR-15  or HK MP5KS. No one will hear it where I live so bring them down here for a little justice. :icon_lol:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
Dave I purchased all the needed tools with picks etc for the column tear down & assembly. Instead of spending $40 I'll loan you mine for a case of Blue!  :player:

This was a big help as well. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
Just a Six?:
 Dave I purchased all the needed tools with picks etc for the column tear down & assembly. Instead of spending $40 I'll loan you mine for a case of Blue!  :player:

This was a big help as well. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

At that point he might as well buy one. lol

AJ___

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
Got er done!

A big thanks to all of you for your help.

Job wasn't too bad with the proper tools & your helpful guidance.

Paid $7.95 for a set of (4) picks from Parts Source.....cam e in real handy removing the circlip.

Thanks,

dave

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27 2011, 06:34:04 PM »
Just a Six?:

AJ___

But we could have had more Fun doing it!
Altho, it may have taken longer! :)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
Just a Six?:

AJ___

True if you are helping, guess I missed that part. :)

AJ___

Offline TWIN86GNS

• My car is almost ready!!!!
  • Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27 2011, 11:57:21 PM »

thanks,

dave

Dave,

So is your horn not working??  If so I know a guy who had the same problem and about 15 minutes and about 2 zip ties later he apparently had the problem fixed.  Not the best fix probably, but apparently it is working for him.

Take care,
Paul Beal
beal_paul@yahoo.ca

1986 GN  #1,  11.38 @ 120.25 mph  with a 1.501 60'
1986 GN  #2,  13.25 @ 102.95 mph with a 2.086 60'

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel / Turn Signal Cancelling Cam Problem
« Reply #13 on: August 28 2011, 08:03:15 AM »

thanks,

dave

Dave,

So is your horn not working??  If so I know a guy who had the same problem and about 15 minutes and about 2 zip ties later he apparently had the problem fixed.  Not the best fix probably, but apparently it is working for him.

Take care,

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from ya!  Hope all is well.

I thought the white plastic tube type housing inside the steering wheel ass'y had something to do with the horn.  Now I realize it's called the turn signal cancelling cam. I've replaced it and all is good!

Have gone back and corrected the heading / title on the beginning of this thread, so not to mislead anyone.

Now gotta finish with this new turbo installation  and about 25 other projects going on under the hood at the same time. I've taken this week of work so I can git er done.  Who knows, I just might have this car back on the road this summer!

Thanks for your help non-the less.

Cheers!

dave

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel / Turn Signal Cancelling Cam Problem
« Reply #14 on: August 28 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Just a Six?:

AJ___

True if you are helping, guess I missed that part. :)

AJ___

I prefer they do the work here with my stuff since every time I loan out tools etc its a long time before I see them again. I always think that I wont need that tool & when I do need it its never there & I forget who has it so this way its just easier for me.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal