Author Topic: Turned key and lost all electrical, lights, starter, horn, cigarette lighter  (Read 7470 times)

Offline William Brophy

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
I think it may be a fuseable link, everything is still stock as far as that goes, which one would it be i.e. look like and hook to or maybe it's something else. If it is a fuseable link would it be better to just substude a wire and what size? What no spellll check on here?  :D
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
William, problem with the fusible link theory is that the lights are on a different link from the ignition system.

the fan is on a different link from those two and the blower relay is on another...

So, why don't you check to see if there is power on the red wire going to the blower relay on the hvac box?  I am going to assume that you have checked the voltage on the battery and it is showing normal voltage?  Does the check engine light come on with the key to on?

Have you done a visual check of the  fusible links where they attach to the starter to be sure that none, or all, of them are burned?  Normally you can look at them and tell if they are blown because they burn the insulation off
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Don't Mess with Texas ! ! !
  • Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
First, check battery connections. They can look good from the outside, but still have corrosion between the post and cable causing it to lose connection!

Second,  if a fuse link is blown there is a problem somewhere. Needs to get fixed!

Third, replace burnt fuse link with a new fuse link after problem is found ! ! !

Offline William Brophy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
I turned the key to start the car which ran fine yesterday and I heard a quick shorting out type of noise. Everything seems dead, no check engine light and I have not had a chance to check anything out yet but because the car is blocking the driveway I will get to it tomorrow/today.
I was looking for as much information and sugestions that I could get before crawing all over the car. I will let you guys know what I find. Thanks Bill

Edit: Is there some reason why I was not notified by e-mail that I had responses to my thread? Something I need to change.
« Last Edit: August 10 2011, 04:02:52 AM by William Brophy »
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Offline $1987 GN$

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
How is the switch it self, loose starts without the key etc?

AJ___

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile

AJ___

The key, itself, has nothing to do with the ignition switch.  Switch is down on the column activated by a rod from the key cylinder
Steve Wood

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile

AJ___

The key, itself, has nothing to do with the ignition switch.  Switch is down on the column activated by a rod from the key cylinder

Correct

AJ___

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Look for a burnt pos. cable shorting out on the header.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile

[/quote]

It's a purple wire that goes to starter. I pinched mine with the tranny one time & everything went out like yours has done. Check the purple wire connection at the starter & make sure its good & the wire itself didnt get burnt or something.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Turbodave

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
I turned the key to start the car which ran fine yesterday and I heard a quick shorting out type of noise. Everything seems dead, no check engine light and I have not had a chance to check anything out yet but because the car is blocking the driveway I will get to it tomorrow/today.
I was looking for as much information and sugestions that I could get before crawing all over the car. I will let you guys know what I find. Thanks Bill

Edit: Is there some reason why I was not notified by e-mail that I had responses to my thread? Something I need to change.

Sometimes that type of symptom would indicate a bad connection at the battery.  Usually caused by corrosion under the main connector on the positive lead.. Remove them both, clean up the connections real good and give it another try.
TurboDave EWCS(SW) USN (Ret.)
Sevierville, TN
Translator Pro;  MAFless fuel, spark, boost and fuel pump management

86 GN(Translator Pro/Extender Pro/w Boost control, PLX WBO2 (original owner)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile

Sometimes that type of symptom would indicate a bad connection at the battery.  Usually caused by corrosion under the main connector on the positive lead.. Remove them both, clean up the connections real good and give it another try.

This would be the first thing to check. Sometimes you can't see the corrosion with side post batteries.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline William Brophy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile

That is what it turned out to be. My connections are plated and looked clean as a pin.The top terminals on the battery read approx 12 volts but the side terminals read less than 1 volt so I brushed everything and now its fine. Thanks Bill
« Last Edit: August 10 2011, 10:37:32 PM by William Brophy »
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Awesome!!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Don't Mess with Texas ! ! !
  • Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
First, check battery connections. They can look good from the outside, but still have corrosion between the post and cable causing it to lose connection!

Hmm..... ? ? ?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile

I am going to assume that you have checked the voltage on the battery and it is showing normal voltage? 

Hmmmm LOL
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal