Author Topic: can i pick up the rear of the car body by the trunk loop?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
can i pick up the rear of the car body by the trunk loop?
« on: August 31 2019, 08:45:01 AM »
As some who are following along know, my og we4 took a hit. I have several leads on parts and such to repair it, and thanks to everyone who has helped.

I have another iron in the fire as it were. Let's say you came across a semi low miles car that someone took apart. Said vehicle is sitting on some pallets with the frame leaning against the wall. Let's say the Frame is stripped and has been notched. You know just for giggles. Front suspension is off, rear end was sold.

But in said fantasy I have another car with some rust issues on the radar. Said to have a good frame and floor pans but doors and such not as much. Said fantasy vehicle has a bunch of the parts to put the WE4 back together. And would yield a rolling frame .

This could theoretically be used to set this fantasy low miles car on and get it to my garage. This brings the question. Can I pick up the rear end of the body by the trunk catch loop without hurting anything? I'm theoretically going to pick up the front and set it across a 4x4 piece of wood held up by some tires/rims and this leaves the back and how to get it up so we can roll the chassis under it. I thought this would be way better for transport than trying to do just the bars body. Tell me what it won't work or what you would do instead. I have six wheels/tires that measure about 30" tall stacked 3high on each side then the 4x4 wood. Slip the chassis under let it down bolt it with some of the fasteners and pull it up on the trailer and strap it down for transport.

Let me hear from ya.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: can i pick up the rear of the car body by the trunk loop?
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
I did with a completely empty shell.  I had another car I was piecing out an grabbed it there. Ripped out . On a car that I would be fixing I'd use a 4X4 an go threw the side rear windows. I have pics at home I think.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31 2019, 02:00:24 PM »
Any other suggestions? Windows still in car. Might have to put a 4x4 where the wheel wells are and strap to each end or maybe two 4x4s where one goes through where wheels should be and the other up top as a spreader bar. It is currently sitting on some pallets. No frame under it. Not really wanting to get into pulling out the windows and all that old stringy black tar the factory used.
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 01 2019, 09:42:57 AM »
I would be leery of lifting it like that as I think it might buckle the body or cause a bulge further forward toward the middle of the car.  I think the lifting point needs to be further forward as Dan mentioned.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
Got a little further in my repair the we4 Odyssey. We made the trip to Kansas and bought the roller. It has some nice interior stuff and quarter windows, black trim, and a rolling chassis with a g80 8.5 rear. Getting it stripped down so I can cut the quarter off to use on my car. I guess I'll just cut the roof off, the other quarter and I'm going to cut the floor out to piece in a section on the rosewood one if I manage to get it. Another thing I thought cool is it is a B48 trunk kit car. I've only seen these in GNX and aftermarket so I thought that cool to go into mine too.

I talked to the seller of the rosewood car and he sez we can use the lift at his place to set the body on the chassis. I guess he has a way to get the body to the two post lift. Didn't get that far into it with him.

As mentioned in another thread, my wife let me get a budget chinese TIG welder. Went ahead and bought a cylinder of argon and while I was at it i got a cylinder of 75/25 argon/co2 for the wire feed welder I have to make it a mig welder. Been learning on the tig and it is ac/dc so we will be able to weld aluminum. Just have to learn how. youtube makes it look easy.

The og we4 the day it got hit.

A a buddies body shop getting the frame pulled some. Probably going to swap in a different frame as the original was kinked. Buddy said it could be cut and "Plated" for strength but I'm not really feeling good about that.

Frame kink. He pulled it out, heated it up and got the kink out but said It will fold up worse if it gets hit again.

Us picking the roller up.

Got it into the garage and it has already become a shelf.
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 26 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
LOL, I am somewhat noted for shelf cars.

I would reinforce that frame and use it... box it over a couple of feet, I think
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26 2019, 05:42:28 PM »
Haven't really made the decision yet. But that rosewood car has a frame that has already been notched. Probably go with that one and put the one from the white car under the rosewood one. I have a line on another turbo regal frame but haven't taken the time to go look at it.

I'll get the black one into the garage and see where we want to go. Have considered some mini tubs while we have the quarter off.

So many projects so little time. 
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26 2019, 11:23:27 PM »
https://www.hopposonline.com/1978-1987-rear-outer-arches-for-g-body/
Been looking at stuff like these to weld in. And probably some reinforcement for the rear suspension sections. 
Rich

Online daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
Quote from: TexasT
https://www.hopposonline.com/1978-1987-rear-outer-arches-for-g-body/
Been looking at stuff like these to weld in. And probably some reinforcement for the rear suspension sections. 
Didn't know they existed. Too bad they aren't more expensive so one could justify a plasma cutter :)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27 2019, 12:30:12 PM »
Oh, I justified one of those already. eBay unit for like $250 shipped. Cuts well so far. Amica cut40 gotta make some trips to the metal place and see what I can get for cut offs
Rich

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28 2019, 12:30:01 AM »
glad you're gonna make some headway on repairing your we4 Rich.  
87 Regal Limited

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
I :049: my combo plasma cutter/Stick/TIG (DC TIG only though).
https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Welding-Machine-Cutting-Voltage/dp/B07XCCFKYW
Cheap too!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01 2020, 08:15:41 PM »
Is the Tig scratch start? How is it working for you? Looks like a nifty machine. I went with the one I got so we could do aluminum. Fun stuff so far.
Rich

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01 2020, 08:35:51 PM »
I haven't used the TIG function yet - just the stick weld and plasma cutter.  I intended on learning to TIG with it, then getting an A/C tig to do header repair.. but alas...

The plasma cutter works great, fun to use.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02 2020, 02:24:04 PM »
I love the plasma cutter we got. I'm always leary of the all in one thing for fear it will stop working. I know that is irrational but that's why I wear a tin foil hat.

https://youtu.be/x213QIlhARg
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x213QIlhARg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscree n></iframe>

The tig is gonna take a lot of practice. I'm already getting good at sharpening tungstens. And learned not to sharpen both ends as I get it balled up and if you do it to both ends It wont come out of the collet.

After dipping it a few times, haha, then on to sharpening.

Ill get better. This was in the driveway and the wind would crop up and blow the argon away.
I want to do headers too. I have several that need some love.
« Last Edit: January 02 2020, 02:34:48 PM by TexasT »
Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal