Author Topic: Track times....help  (Read 19184 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Track times....help
« Reply #45 on: October 02 2015, 10:35:27 PM »
I talked to David Husek a while back and he recommended using an external cooler in tandem with the trans cooler in the rad.

That is how mine is setup and my stock 200 was still going strong with 70k original miles on it and a bunch of 11 second runs.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #46 on: October 02 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
that's the way I have generally done mine.

I think it's funny that every one is nodding their heads knowingly about heat problems with NL converters.  I guess it is youth because it was not that long ago that all cars had NL converters and we did not know that there was a problem. 

For years, the Art Carr 16930 was the hot ticket for a quick car.  It gave about one mile per gallon less on the highway than the factory lock up.  We all ran transmission coolers with them, but, most of us ran the secondary cooler with the lock up factory unit as well anyway.  Everyone should know that the cooler the fluid, the longer the tranny life.  Plenty of graphs online showing projected life vs tranny fluid.  temp.

Today, modern NL converters slip a lot less than the Art Carr unit.  The PTC NL slips less than 10% on top end at wide open throttle.  At cruise, it seems to only slip a couple of hundred rpm....

Sometimes I think marketing creates a lot more facts than science has ever done.

But, back to the original post...you are not fast enuf to really make a difference and you are not on sticky tires.  The lockup is just a straight swap without having to mod the tranny with the NL valve
« Last Edit: October 02 2015, 11:07:43 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Track times....help
« Reply #47 on: October 03 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
What makes the LU more efficient? 
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
In theory, it's locked up so no rpm is lost between what the motor puts into the front of the cover and what goes into the transmission on the other side
Steve Wood

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
.... With what Im doing at the big end, if I can get a 1.7 60ft I'll be in the 11's.....
:
in 2011:
I am kicking around adding this during the summer. I dont want to run a ton of boost, low to mid 20's. Is it worth the trouble if I want to run a conservative set-up or is it more for racing and running balls out. This is 90% street car, I'm not looking to get into the elevens or anything.

Thanks guys!!

:D :D :D :D :D

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
Dan Keller and I have nearly identical engines...and the same turbo. I'm finally gonna get a look at both convertors on PL and what they're doing tomorrow at Napierville. Let's see how my AC stacks up. :) I'll have all his data to crunch the PTC numbers. This is a full race convertor spec'd exactly for his car.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
Dan Keller and I have nearly identical engines...and the same turbo. I'm finally gonna get a look at both convertors on PL and what they're doing tomorrow at Napierville. Let's see how my AC stacks up. :) I'll have all his data to crunch the PTC numbers. This is a full race convertor spec'd exactly for his car.
I would like to see the comparison as well.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• View Profile
Track times....help
« Reply #52 on: October 03 2015, 10:10:06 PM »

What makes the LU more efficient?
I'm a dummy I meant to ask what makes a NLU more efficient up top?     
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04 2015, 12:45:38 AM »
more efficient up top compared to a lock up that is not locked up....

I am not a converter guru and there are various ways of building a converter so the short answer is I don't know :)

It may have something to do with the lighter weight of a nlu creating less of a flywheel effect.

If you read enuf, you will find many proponents of lock up converters who believe they are much quicker than non lock ups.  I know a lot of new cars lock the converters at a certain rpm under wot and some of those are in pretty fast cars.  Not sure, ultimately, how long they live under racing conditions.

The AC converter was usually quicker off the line but was down a mile or two on the top end-yet the quicker acceleration in the first half was greater than loss in the second half.  I would not bet against exceptions :D
Steve Wood

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04 2015, 08:42:27 PM »
My first aftermarket converter was a 10" PTC NL. I called PTC and spoke to somebody who I cant recall and it was too loose. It would 60ft in the 1.50s off the footbrake but slipped about 15% at the traps. I was able to break into 11s with it though. I spoked to Dusty and sent it back to be tightened up. Then I could barely spool car on brakes and lost 60ft. Also it was still blowing through it at the traps with same 15% slip. He mentioned once you really start putting down the power the 10" cant hold it.

Finally bit the bullet and had Dusty spec me a 9.5 PTC NL. He got it right on the money. Way more efficient up top with 5% slip. Loose on the bottom to build over 15lb boost on footbrake. Cost double the price of 10" but well worth it if your looking for your best numbers. Just do your research so you dont buy a converter and then pay for restall and then buy the one you should have got first. Plus the fact of pulling trans out 2 or 3 times like I did.
Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline Shimy87

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05 2015, 03:37:16 PM »
Got the new converter coming my way. So I never dropped a transmission before, and tips ,tricks , stuff to watch out for.  Also going to change the fluid, whats a good one to use, mineral or syn? Also, should I change filter, its about 3 years old with about 40- 50 track passes. My extent of transmission knowledge pretty much ends at P is park and OD is overdrive  :rolleyes;
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
Yes, change the filter. Make sure you get the filter seal/oring out. Two up in there is not good. Getting the car up and supported well is very important. You definitely don't want it falling down. Watch the shift cable, tv cable and dipstick tube as they can get torn up/crushed. Trans is kinda unweildly especially trying to balance it on a floor jack and 2x6. If it tips back before you drain the fluid you get instant evacuation onto the floor. Very exciting, also very messy. A long extension to get the top bellhousing bolts from below is nice. If your motor mounts are worn support the engine as it can droop and damage things. While you have the trans out you might take a bfh and bend the pinch weld for next time as bloody hands are only so much fun.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
Is the new converter lockup or non lock? If its NL you need to get the nonlock valve kit. Its cheap. Also highly recommend putting a drain plug in your pan. You will thank yourself later!
Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline Shimy87

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06 2015, 11:09:14 AM »
New converter is a LU and I have the drain plug already installed. I have a lift so I'll just need to rent a trans jack. Car had a trans cooler installed when I bought it so that's done, I'm going to add a trans temp gauge. Where is the best place to install the sending unit?

The other board has a sticky with pics and instructions on how to remove the tranny......ve ry helpful for a guy like me, I like pictures :cheers:
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal