Author Topic: Rob, how's your Ricoh?  (Read 13622 times)

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« on: August 17 2006, 12:50:13 AM »
I've JUST fallen in love with 35mm, after bagging on them for a while due to my love of 120. I've come to accept my profound love for this old 1968 Pentax Spotmatic I've been whoring. All aluminum, broken light meter and no auto-focus, it's brutal beautiful.

tmaticSPII.htm l~mainFrame" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?AsahiPentaxSpo tmaticSPII.htm l~mainFrame

Anyway, gimme the the skinny on your Ricoh and any examples you have of the pics it takes. Does it have the m42 (screw mount) lens? I've been looking to get one now, but want to know your opinion before I buy my next old camera.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #1 on: August 17 2006, 01:00:19 AM »
I haven't used it much lately. I think it takes awesome pictures though.
That Pentax has some character though. Instead of a Ricoh, I'd recommend
an old Canon AE-1 or F-1. Nikons are also nice. I recommend those because they have alot more affordable accessories available for them. The Ricoh from
what Ive seen is only compatible with ricoh accessories, and I believe that its
the same with Pentax. However there are more accessories available for a
Pentax as compared to a Ricoh.

Speakin of Canon, my boss has an old AE-1 with all kinds of stuff with it that he doesn't use since he went digital. He showed me some of his pics. The man has talent ! I may ask him if wants to sell it when I'm in a better financial state....
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #2 on: August 23 2006, 01:37:09 AM »
I started looking for f-1's and then put my tail between my legs to run home after I saw the prices on these things! I did see some ae-1's and I foudn a few at-1's, the full manual version. Not too shabby, thanks for the advice. I'll think I'll be snagging an old Canon soon.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23 2006, 12:44:19 PM »
F1's are fucking awesome, thats why they're sooooo expensive.
Nikons are the choice of our government, due to their reliability.
There's alot of bling available for them too.
Rob

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25 2006, 12:34:50 PM »
I've got my black body AE-1 half apart right now. It was working fine and I mounted a Vivitar wide angle zoom on it and it hasn't worked right since. Getting them fixed at a camera shop is a joke. They just send them away somewhere. There must be one camera repair shop in Mexico that actually fixes all broken 35MM's. I may just pick up a body on e-bay. Tons of them available for around $100. Hell, I paid $240 for my body in 1978....overse as. I've got a few lenses for it and a kick-ass mallet type Metz Mecablitz flash for it with a zoom extender for it. It concentrates the flash so it goes out several hundred feet. Why I bought it, I don't know. I was thinking "This will be cool for concert photos .......except you don't want to use a flash for them. It'll wash out all the lighting.
87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #5 on: August 25 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
Nice! Another camera nerd. I'm torn between an F-1 and a Mamiya 23 or Universal now. I love me some medium format. I'll figure something out.

What's really sad is my digital Canon is collecting dust while I hunt out all these old cams. She'll get some abuse in my upcoming photo classes though.

GSGN, I can find you a guy to send your Canon to directly, give me a few days.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26 2006, 01:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "granitestategn @ Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:34 am"
I've got my black body AE-1 half apart right now. It was working fine and I mounted a Vivitar wide angle zoom on it and it hasn't worked right since. Getting them fixed at a camera shop is a joke. They just send them away somewhere. There must be one camera repair shop in Mexico that actually fixes all broken 35MM's. I may just pick up a body on e-bay. Tons of them available for around $100. Hell, I paid $240 for my body in 1978....overse as. I've got a few lenses for it and a kick-ass mallet type Metz Mecablitz flash for it with a zoom extender for it. It concentrates the flash so it goes out several hundred feet. Why I bought it, I don't know. I was thinking "This will be cool for concert photos .......except you don't want to use a flash for them. It'll wash out all the lighting.
I've had good luck with 800 asa and no flash in those situations. But they do get a little grainy if you enlarge them too much.
Rob

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27 2006, 01:49:26 AM »
I dug it out, and its ready to go with a roll of Konica 400.
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #8 on: August 27 2006, 06:07:48 AM »
Hell yes!

I love 400 speed.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
We didn't go to the track today. However, my boss gave me some wicked cool stuff.
He gave me a diffuser attachment, and a couple of filters. One is blue, and the other is half brown fading into clear. He also has a filter that makes stars out of light spots in a scene. He couldn't find it though. He's going to look at his house for it. Woot ! :supz:
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #10 on: August 27 2006, 05:46:49 PM »
Nice. I need to start collecting filters. See if you can score a neutral density filter.

One cool trick Sarah Moon does is put the cellophane off a pack of cigarettes over her lens for a soft focus effect.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
I tried a couple of double exposure shots of me standing in front of my p/u truck.
What I did was use the light meter to see what shutter speed would yield a normal
exposure. I then set up my tripod and set the camera on it at half that speed and
slightly out of focus. Using the timer, I then ran and posed in front of the truck for
the pic. I then went back to the camera and focused it. Also at half speed, I took another pic in the same frame. If it comes out like I wanted, I should look like a ghost standing in front of the truck.
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #12 on: August 27 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
Nice. I ghosted a friend into a a slide shot I took in a cave. I just set the cam on bulb and estimated a few seconds. Then I put the lens cap over it and had him sit in the frame and I toook it off and estimated a few more seconds and closed the shutter. One of the many reasons I love film.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09 2006, 11:07:03 PM »
I shot a roll and a half today. :smt071
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Rob, how's your Ricoh?
« Reply #14 on: September 09 2006, 11:10:38 PM »
Nice. I'm taking advanced photo lighting and I think imma use my Pentax for all the projects. The studio at this school is no joke.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal