Author Topic: Sexy headers  (Read 6775 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy headers
« Reply #1 on: February 16 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
Those do look nice but I would still prefer mandrel bent ones!

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16 2018, 05:45:25 PM »
Probably a sexy price too
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
Probably a sexy price too

Works out to only $1700 cdn!

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
Oh hell that's cheap.......en ough money left over for a spare set  :rolleyes;
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17 2018, 09:03:39 AM »
Get cha sum there Jim. If they were in the KenneBell catalog they'd be worth at least 2 tenths in the quarter mile. That much closer to a ten sec slip. And they are sexy. Haha
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
All sarcastic remarks aside.  Count your blessings anyone is still developing parts for these things.

Your options are status quo stock parts and Winter bitch sessions, hated cheap Chinese parts, expensive American parts, or an LS-swap.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
Now that we have vendors competing by offering different choices for engine management and "tune" it should get more interesting. I can't afford any of them but I'll watch.  :)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
When it comes to these cars competition is not a good thing.  The market is just too small.

I wish it weren't true but it is.

With access to a foundry and a CNC machine shop, I've got all kinds of cool shit that could be built.
   Before I could get my piston project off the ground and get the price as low as possible, too many people jumped on the wagon  to divide up the market. I lost interest pretty quickly. Now I make just enough to keep my WD discount.

Much like my USA made timing cover project.  To much division for me to bother finishing all the work and money to make a cover with my mods already in them (and a few other upgrades I can't do with a NOS unit).   Looking back I kinda wished I'd done it anyway, but I'm not going to compete with the magic pixie dust that people think T/A parts are sprinkled with.   The market is just too small.

And getting smaller everyday
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
If the magical pixie dust ones can garner $500+shipping and still need the mods you should be able to get more for a unit that has the mods built in. Labor is by far the most expensive part of any money making endeavor these days. I guess people don't really even know what they are buying a lot of the times. This is evidenced by all the chinesium sold here in the states . When price is the only or most important criteria, you are bound to get disappointing results.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
When it comes to these cars competition is not a good thing.....

Earl, how about some DOHC heads for the Buick?  Then again, I guess we can stroke a twin turbo 3.6.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18 2018, 02:45:18 AM »
LOL.   I have the technology to make them....     ....but holy friggin crap, Batman at the costs!!!!   (not to mention the drive arrangement!)

For example, on the timing covers...   Even doing it on the cheep cheep, my cost would be more than the Jegs or Summitt, or Silver Seal would be willing to pay for a bulk 'make next to nothing, but do it in bulk' thing.   So that means that I couldn't suck it up, make a big first run then recoup most with a large order from the big guys for bare castings, then offer hand built complete stuff to the Buick guys.

Real life would have me lay out thousands for a minimum of 200 bare castings (that I would have to make room for at my house). Then I would have to finish my print, test a few on the CNC and hope to dog they pass with no raw casting where machine surfaces should be.    THEN I could get a price break to to the rest of the batch  (all out of pocket) while I start getting emails saying ''why should I buy yours when blah-blah says I will gain 2 tenths and 2MPH or get a BJ every time I use their cover.....

I would love to have this off the ground, but honestly the numbers just don't jibe.

That doesn't include the cast plenums, valve covers, trans pans, oil pans, and pretty sweet spacers/plenums with built in akly distribution systems.

I have prints and stuff and things in my head that are badass but I can't compete with the chinese/walmart ''performance'' parts if I have to put my real money on the line.
« Last Edit: February 18 2018, 02:50:21 AM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18 2018, 02:49:22 AM »

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
Ok, so 2 weeks? :D

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18 2018, 06:43:59 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal