Author Topic: anybody using a NB output from a WB setup?  (Read 4407 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
anybody using a NB output from a WB setup?
« on: August 28 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
...and likes it more.

My GN decided to show it's ass yesterday and I think it was the O2 finally flaking out.   Still not fully sure it was the O2s fault. I was idling at over 10:1 even though my TT chip is supposed to idle at open loop. Cruising was 10s and 11s while the INT was screaming for more.

At one time my BLMs were 160 and INTs were maxxxed out while the NB reading was stuck in the .200s yet my CCs were hauling ass with big jumps per usual.    ...of course powerlogger decided the file I made driving home already existed and only showed me the last frame when I unplugged the USB.  Grrrrr

So I was thinking to myself, "Self, I have the fancy schmancy PLX box with a much newer WB O2 and it could probably do a better job at a NB output than the actual NB"   BUT   I know how adding fuel with a Translator sucks and doesn't work near as well as adding the same fuel with a chip.

Even though I just swapped in a new Denso I haven't test drove it to the beer store yet.   Now I'm starting to wonder if the powerlogger card is screwing with my ECM....
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: anybody using a NB output from a WB setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 28 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
Nope. All WB did was piss me off. I got tired of recalibrating it every few passes. Let the car cool. Unscrew it. Recalibrate it. Screw it back in again. Repeat every 3 passes. Fuk that. I know where the engine starts seeing KR with NB...so piss on WB.

In regards to PL. Sometimes I'll get a WOT RPM on the graph of like....say... 10 gazillion RPM...but will read normal on the gauge panel. Weird.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
Are you using an Innovative WB?

Just to make things more better I logged the trip with the new NB to a friends  miles away.  Still PIG rich.  For some reason every time I increase the throttle a little my NB tanks and comes back up. I was hoping to see that vanish with the new Denso.

Then I left from there to go to the grocery store. Notice when the parking lights were on my left turn light was lit. It would blink when I used the left turn signal but was lit when the parking lights were hot. I noticed one of my left bumper markers were out so I guess the bulb is bridging between running and turning just enough to mess with me. Shouldn't affect the running condition.

On the way home instead of burying the WB at 10, this time I was at 29 to 1. Stopped off at the friends and unplugged the vac line on the FPR. Engine revved up and I had low fuel pressure  What's odd is there's no way that's the right reading. I didn't floor it but I should have had a lean misfire at that level.

Looks like it's time to pop out the light bulbs, check the power to the WB, reseat the PL, and pull some plugs.

This fucking car.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28 2017, 10:15:54 PM »
AFX...same one Steve runs, I believe. Any chance your MAF is fukd?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
Not a chance. I probably had 6 different MAFs on it today I was testing for my Ebay stuff.  I'll part the damn thing out before I ever consider putting a stock MAF on there again.

I'm leaning towards the PL board needing to be reseated in the ECM. the graphs were just too fruited out to be remotely accurate.

I guess tomorrow might be 'install that fuel transducer I bought years ago' day.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 29 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
AFX...same one Steve runs, I believe. Any chance your MAF is fukd?

yep, I run one of the AFX's that used the NGK sensor which is more lead resistant but none of them last too long.  they don't tell you that when they sell you a FAST system.  Leaded gas conquers all
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
Nope. All WB did was piss me off. I got tired of recalibrating it every few passes. Let the car cool. Unscrew it. Recalibrate it. Screw it back in again. Repeat every 3 passes. Fuk that. I know where the engine starts seeing KR with NB...so piss on WB.

In regards to PL. Sometimes I'll get a WOT RPM on the graph of like....say... 10 gazillion RPM...but will read normal on the gauge panel. Weird.

I think most people have them mounted incorrectly.  When I did instrumentatio n in a treatment plant the guys had the ph probes and flow meters all mounted in the wrong place.  Ph probes were going every 3 months.  Once I installed it correctly it lasted over 4 years.  And flow meters need the correct L/D(length/diameter) so a 3" pipe with a 10 L/D should be mounted 30" from a bend.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
I put mine where PLX told me to. Damn near at the firewall, not at 12:00 and leaned back at a 15 degree angle.

No idea if that's optimum or not. I don't recall they made a mention of N/A .vs supercharged or single exhaust off a turbo .vs X inches from an exhaust flange.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
AFX instructions say 10 diameters of the exhaust...so that would be 30 inches from the flange of the DP. I did what Earl did and went as far down on the DP as I could and had the young lad weld the bung in between ten o'clock and 2 o'clock position as per AFX instructions. I race this POS every weekend...and I go through 2-3 Denso NB sensors per season. Leaded race gas eats 'em alive.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30 2017, 04:15:44 PM »
I've had friends who's sensors lasted 7 years on straight C16.  I think we are also dealing with the fact that they probably aren't making as good as they use to.  Typical nothing lasts anymore, everything is built to fail in a certain time.  It's global warming's fault! :icon_eyes:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 30 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
Bosch sensor don't like heat and they don't like lead.  NGK or NTK sensors do better, but nothing is lead loving
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30 2017, 08:36:32 PM »
Earl,

I run both in my car.  The WB feeds the the SD2 but I like to compare the two signals. Plenty of folks tell me to pull the NB because it's restricting flow but I just leave it in and watch. I have an AEM WB setup that does not require calibration and I placed it as close to the HVAC box as possible. It's almost pointing straight down.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30 2017, 10:20:11 PM »
Try it.  There is a good chance the NB simulator will work fine.  The only reason we have NB O2s that switch around stoich is for emissions (cycling the cat(s)).  So if you are running OLSD and no cat it'll be just fine; otherwise the ECM may still want to see that the 02 is switching between lean and rich.

Run a lead and trial it.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
someone showed me the simulated NB output once and it wasn't that clean. 
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal