Author Topic: Supercharger on a SBC  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Supercharger on a SBC
« on: August 10 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
Looking at putting a Weiand supercharger on my other ride, a 67 Camaro with a 327. I did not build the motor as it was done before I bought the car several decades ago. Motor does not have a ton of miles on it and when I had the heads off last year the cylinder walls looked like it was just rebuilt.  It has TRW flat top piston and aluminum heads and from what I have been able to determine the CR is just over 9:1.  Any thoughts on running 5-6 psi on this motor.  This is mostly a toy that does not see a lot of use and no track time.  Just looking for a little more get up and go.  What's your thoughts on this?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Supercharger on a SBC
« Reply #1 on: August 10 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
With aluminum heads, it should work well. I would do it
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I like the sound a turbo makes but a blower makes a way better sound, DO IT!
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10 2017, 06:41:29 PM »
Are you doing the 144ci or 6-71/8-71?
IhaveaV8

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10 2017, 07:05:10 PM »
I'm hoping for a 6-71, the mans supercharger. No sense fooling with a toy one . And some fuel injection, it needs a big enderle hat and some butterflies down in there.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
Sorry, no 6-71, the girly 144.  Don't want to cut my pretty cowl induction hood.  Wish now I would have bought the power adder Fitech instead.  Looked a the Weiand instuctions today and their calculator says it will make 7 pounds of boost with the supplied pulley.  I can always step it down a little with a larger pulley if I need to.  Weiand suggests 32-34 degrees advance, so suppose I could also pull a little timing if needs be.  Also want to talk with them about the difference between the 144 and 142.  I have looked at several sources and the 142 gains 3/4" of hood clearance and also has a short and long version for short and long water pumps.  The 144 on the other hand has a 10 rib drive (vs 6 rib) and has PTFE coated rotors.  Supposedly it is the long version but works with both long and short water pumps.  Thanks for the replies, nice to get some other opinions. 

I may have to put in a different cam also.  The 110 degree lobe separation may not work too good with a supercharger.  It's not too big though so it might be ok.  (268 advertised duration solid flat tappet)

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
A little different opinion-
 Logically speaking a belt driven supercharger doesn't make sense on a street car. 50% of the power it makes just goes to drive the supercharger. 1 bigger exhaust driven supercharger [turbo] makes more sense logically.

2 properly sized turbo's would be even better.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
Go with the 10 rib for sure. If you need hood clearance look into centrifugal superchargers. Torqstorm, vortech, Paxton are in the ballpark price wise.
IhaveaV8

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
LSA isn't an issue, overlap is.  How much overlap does the cam have?  Negative overlap is going to bleed off compression and soften the effect of the blower; positive overlap is going to do the opposite.  Does the exhaust lobe have more duration than the intake lobe to help evacuate the increased combustion gases? If so, what is the split?

Truthfully you will be better served with a Procharger (P1SC is plenty).  No hood clearance issues and it will not fall off with RPM like a tiny PD 142/144 unit will.  Those things are 1960/70s tech.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal