Author Topic: Translater plus  (Read 5797 times)

Offline DaleG

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Translater plus
« on: July 11 2017, 10:15:49 PM »
Hi
 My name is Dale and I have owned this my 87 GN since 2000. It's basically stock 2.5 Hooker cat back gutted cat kn with a no name chip with stock injectors.
I bought a translator plus years ago. version 6.2, that I never installed. I have a couple questions for the resident experts.

1: does it make sense to upgrade the version or go to a second gen
2: where could I pick up an LS1 MAF with all the plumbing to the turbo.
3: does someone still make a plug and play for the esc wire ? caspers I didn't see listed but I quickly scanned and maybe missed it.

Thanks for your answers and have a great summer

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Translater plus
« Reply #1 on: July 11 2017, 11:39:27 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Not sure what a translator plus is. Maybe a pic would help. I just have a $200 translator that many places sell. I am using a lt1 maf I think. It is just a less expensive reman a good friend gave me to try. Works good for me.

Not sure on a whole kit. I bought some silicone couplers and band clamps off eBay. I already had a polished maf tube going to the turbo. Just have to measure the diameter of the turbo inlet, maf tube, maf and what you are using in front of that ro get the right couplers and band clamps.

Esc wire? Not sure on that either.

Need more info.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 12 2017, 12:00:19 AM »
No, I don't think you need to upgrade as this one is much simpler to set up and works very well.  If the Plus was the one that had the timing adjustment option, do not use that.  It could be problematic and cause the ecm to throw code 42.  Modern chips have timing adjustments as an option in the programming.

Turbotweak has mafs and adapter hoses here  http://www.turbotweakstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=9      I suspect fullthrottlesp eed and others have them as well.  You can probably get a used maf at the wrecking yard cheaper and will then need the reducer hose as an adapter.

If you don't try to use the programming side of the T Plus, then I think it simply plugs straight into old maf connector and no adapter harness is needed...it's been a long time since I have seen one as they were discontinued fairly early on.

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12 2017, 06:35:30 AM »
Stick with the Translator...a nd don't play with the timing option on it. A Turbotweak chip is the way to fly. IF you have the funds, then Eric sells a chip/injector combo. Injectors aren't necessary, but they'll give better driveability compared to the stockers. I'll do some digging and try and find the instructions for the T Plus.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12 2017, 07:02:26 AM »

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12 2017, 07:04:32 AM »
Steve, there's a link on FT's site for the T Plus...but it goes nowhere. Eric doesn't have it and Google came up empty. Gonna leave a PM for Bob. I think the T Plus had an extra wire for timing.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12 2017, 07:15:05 AM »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
Steve, there's a link on FT's site for the T Plus...but it goes nowhere. Eric doesn't have it and Google came up empty. Gonna leave a PM for Bob. I think the T Plus had an extra wire for timing.

I was trying to say that.  The Plus was discontinued years ago.  It had a tendency to throw code 42 when the timing was spliced into the wire going from the module to the ecm.  Modern chips came along with timing features built into them which made the Plus look crude.

You just plug the the factory maf connector into the translator box and don't use the timing wire.  In other words, you use it just like the regular MafT.

The Gen2 replacement is very complex and I see the experts arguing over how to best use it.  Again, imo, it is unnecessary as modern chips have so many features...
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
Don't get me started about Gen2. Dan's had a few customers roll in with it with their car's running like crap. I had him remove them and toss 'em in Lake Ontario. Replaced 'em with a TT chip...and they ran mint.

There's more than a few 'cool guy' parts laying on the bottom of Lake Ontario.
« Last Edit: July 12 2017, 10:48:40 AM by Scoobum »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
Watching William run 10.0's on a TT 6.1 chip with all the settings on Eric's defaults did nothing to change my mind that much of the technical wonder put into some things are great for advertising but not needed for most of us.  It also made me believe that the 6262 was magic LOL

I have also come to believe that the converter is perhaps the most critical part of the combo.
Steve Wood

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
As he is running the stock injectors I would like to suggest an upgrade to new ones with the matching chip.
A new fuel pump and upgraded wiring, also if that hasn't been done. Fuel pressure gauge and line to get it up under a wiper for some full throttle blasts to make sure the fuel is getting there in the correct volume and pressure. I guess he has a scanmaster?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12 2017, 06:42:53 PM »
I stated on here several times that torque convertors should be required reading. I read everything Dusty Bradford posted...and he dumbed it down so idiots like me could understand it. He never pushed his convertors...a nd always tried to maximize the one you already had.

The 6262 is flat out the baddest street/strip turbo on the planet. With a good set of heads...a good convertor and someone that can tune...it can turn some silly fast numbers.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
Reply from Bob. ' I would recommend using the chip to adjust timing. It's plug and play except for the output harness which is configured for an LT1/LS1 car so you need an adaptor to use it on a GN.'

Offline DaleG

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12 2017, 08:36:28 PM »
  Thank you all for the replies

just to recap the "plus" does have the timing control feature that I shouldn't install that connection, I do still have the manual for it.

2: get a newer chip with timing feature in it (Turbotweak)

3: The quick connector off the translator is meant for an LS1 or LT1 MAF which I plan on getting (LS1) so I don't need an adapter correct ?

4: what cars in the yard came with the LS1 MAF ?

Thanks again for the replies, I guess I should have posted in the new member area first to say Hello.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal