Author Topic: No 1-2 shift WOT  (Read 5623 times)

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
No 1-2 shift WOT
« on: December 12 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
I have been having lots of problems with my new 2004r.  The builder has stopped responding so I guess I am on my own.

disclaimer - The TV cable is set properly, the fluid is full and I am not a dumbass (but troubleshootin g this trans is making me feel like one).

At part throttle (below half), starting from a stop the trans shifts very late into second gear.  I hold constant throttle and the car gets over 4000rpm and just stays there and finally it will shift.

Starting from a stop WOT, the trans will not shift out of first gear.  It just stays in first gear, until I lift the throttle.  Once it is in second gear I can accelerate with part throttle, if I give it any significant amount of power in 2nd gear the trans slips.  3rd gear appears to work. 

I have taken pressure measurements I will go get my notes and post in a minute.

Before I smoked the 2nd gear band I was having a multitude of problems.  The trans would shift late and hard 1-2, and 2-3.  I checked and double checked the tv, even took the pan down and checked.  Made no changes drive the car and the late and hard shifting was gone.  Park the car in the garage, change nothing, drive a few days later and back to shifting late and hard.  I think their is something wrong with the "special" TV spring and plunger my builder uses.  I was planning to try taking the TV parts out of my stock trans and swap into this one.  I need to find out what is wrong with this thing before I tear it down to fix the band.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

« Last Edit: December 12 2014, 09:46:33 PM by dyermullet »

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: No 1-2 shift WOT
« Reply #1 on: December 12 2014, 09:41:37 PM »
800-850 RPM TV connected

P   108 psi
R   175 psi
N   109 psi
OD  109 psi
3   109
2   270
1  270

800-850 RPM TV disconnected

P   107 psi
R   175 psi
N   109 psi
OD  109 psi
3   109
2   265
1  265

1500 RPM NO TV

P   106 psi
R   180 psi
N   109 psi
OD  109 psi
3   109
2   290
1  295

1500 RPM FULL TV

P   280 psi
R   305-370 psi
N   280 psi
OD  260-310 psi
3   260-310
2   260-330
1  255-320

I did not have a helper to check the pressures so I used a string to hold the TV at full stroke.  I think the string was stretching and gave me the fluxuating pressures so I recorded the min and max of the needle travel.
« Last Edit: December 12 2014, 09:48:52 PM by dyermullet »

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
You have a lot of pressure at well over 300psi. Do you know what size boost valve you are using?

Have you pulled the governor down to check and make sure the spring is still in there? If you have a brf vb/gov combo there will only be a spring on one weight, but it has a tendency to exit during a sudden stop at the end of the burnout. You could "pin" it while you have it apart. I used a nylon 8-32 screw after I drilled and tapped the weight.

One of the tidbits I got from Lonnie Diers is to use a spring in the tv of the valve body that is 2.1". Coincidentally sonnax sells a spring for the tv that is 2.1" long. But being the tightwad I am I cut one down.
Might have some trash in the vb. With the engine running disconnect and give the tv cable sharply to see if this might clear anything up. This is a ck performance trick and I think it works well when I first put mine together.

What are you using for a pan and filter setup. I use a 700r4 filter as it is a bottom feed. There are some nice setups sold by venders but again I am cheap so I went the budget route.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
The trans is from one of the well known vendors I don't want to say from who, I still have hope that I can work with them.

I do not know what size boost valve.

I believe the gov spring is already pinned but I will have to check.

Stock pan stock filter.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
Im sure any of the known vendors have forgotten more about transmissions than I will ever know. I'm wondering why they would use a stock filter. I would check that governor. Spitting the spring is a common occurance.
Have you contacted this mystery vendor? Did they have a recommendation? What are you using for a converter? What vb governor combo are you using? Did you try the "cycle the tv cable" trick.
Rich

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13 2014, 11:30:55 PM »
I exchanged email with builder today I am going to call monday. 

I checked governor spring is still there, the weights don't bind, the drive gear is not missing any teeth.

I checked the 1-2 accumulator piston was free seal looked intact. 

I had tried the tv cable trick a few weeks ago. 

Stock D5 converter.

I'll send you a PM
« Last Edit: December 13 2014, 11:59:11 PM by dyermullet »

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
Must have debris in the vb in particular the tv valve. or the tv is hanging. I think I would drop the vb and do a thorough cleaning. and maybe do some spring swapping to get the tv valve to act right.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq167/texastandgransport/Transmission/AA%20Valve%20body/IMAG4368.jpg

These are the pieces of the TV valve. When I assembled it with the stock springs it seemed "sluggish" so I sourced some stiffer springs in hopes it will work well. I cut one of the larger ones on advice posted by Lonnie Diers of ExtremeAutomat ics.com that he uses a 2.1" spring. I also put a stiffer spring in the deep end of the valve as that plunger didn't seem to return to it position with authority when released. With the new springs I felt the valve worked much better when run through its stroke.

From my assembly thread.
Rich

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
I finally heard back from the builder.  I am going to ship him the transmission back.  Now I have to find a pallet.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
At least he is willing to see about it.
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oft200.htm

I was doing some more reading, and came across this. Scroll down to the tuning part and this guy was having vb/gov match up probs. This could be what you are experiencing just a thought.
Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal