Author Topic: Could a Turbo Buick handle a 20 Lap race at WOT?  (Read 5105 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
Could a Turbo Buick handle a 20 Lap race at WOT?
« on: November 29 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
I was told that these cars can not handle WOT in fourth gear due to the increased load on the bearing? Can these cars handle anything more then a 1/4mile blast? Like lets say in terms of a highway roll maybe from a 40 mph wouldn't you need the fourth gear? Or is this only true when the lockup engages and try's to lower the RPM at WOT? I'm not sure if I'm making sense with this question but maybe someone will know.
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Could a Turbo Buick handle a 20 Lap race at WOT?
« Reply #1 on: November 29 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
SS/GN had a friend race one on the Salt Flats. Put the question to him.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
I have seen a G/N motor that ran for 20 mins at WOT straight and the cam let go and drop into the oil pan and that was that.

Offline bescurred

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29 2013, 11:03:21 PM »
how far are the laps lol?
Seems like a silly conversation to me.  What car other than a nascar/indy make 20 laps at WOT without letting go? 

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30 2013, 12:23:20 AM »
I didn't quite mean laps, that was just for a interesting title its more like. Can the car handle pulling up to its max speed in forth gear giving you had the distance to do so safe.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
In stock form? Not likely.

You will need great oil and great oil control (especially if there are many left and right-hand turns).  Then there is the cooling capacity needed for all the fluids in the car.  Next is your bearing grease which will also need to be upgraded to deal with the heat from the brakes.  Brakes are next, rotors pads and fluid will all need to be adjusted if there is substantial braking force involved in your lapping. Fueling and air temp control are also important; you can't count on a standard alky kit to last you that long (propane or race gas will work). Next comes tires and wheels to control the acceleration and braking... and finally suspension because motion control will dictate how hard you have to drive the car to complete the lap.

In short: you should have bought my car. ;)
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
In stock form? Not likely
.... blah blah blah  :rofl:

At stock boost and timing- I would guess so. Seems to me like the kind of crap they put the cars thru at the proving grounds....kee p in mind there was a warranty...
( purple font by request of SW-nostalgia)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
I'm not interested in making a pro touring car I was just wondering after I played Froza 4 on the Xbox and beat on a Buick for three laps with my buddy and his Fox body. I wondered how this would be in real life if a turbo Buick could really handle 3 hard laps around a track because I've heard guys talk about knock at the end of the 1/4mile. I guess the tune would be a lot different, Maybe a 6 speed automatic would help too.

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
In stock form? Not likely
.... blah blah blah  :rofl:

At stock boost and timing- I would guess so. Seems to me like the kind of crap they put the cars thru at the proving grounds....
( purple font by request of SW-nostalgia)

My dad was telling me they would put cars in big freezers and freeze the cars until they where almost to the point where the oil was solid .. Start them up with out a warmup and do the 1/4mile as hard as they could... lol. This is in more recent times , I'm unsure if they did this with the GN's in the 80's

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30 2013, 02:59:25 PM »
I'm not interested in making a pro touring car I was just wondering after I played Froza 4 on the Xbox and beat on a Buick for three laps with my buddy and his Fox body. I wondered how this would be in real life if a turbo Buick could really handle 3 hard laps around a track because I've heard guys talk about knock at the end of the 1/4mile. I guess the tune would be a lot different, Maybe a 6 speed automatic would help too.

Really? As I remember it at one time you were very much looking to build Buick that did more than just run in a straight line.

You are clearly confusing fantasy with reality; time to stop reading magazines and playing video games.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
What are you even talking about buddy get out of here honestly..  This thread was just my curiosity of a game to how these cars would really be on a track.. Why do you act like such a dick about everything.

So stop acting so silly and have some fun.. maybe you need a beer and a few hours with a fun racing game.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
What are you even talking about buddy get out of here honestly..  This thread was just my curiosity of a game to how these cars would really be on a track.. Why do you act like such a dick about everything.

So stop acting so silly and have some fun.. maybe you need a beer and a few hours with a fun racing game.

And with that you are on your own.  Good luck!
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30 2013, 10:27:46 PM »
 :rofl: Thank you, next time when I make a friendly thread please come insult me again then get offended when I defend myself.
« Last Edit: November 30 2013, 10:41:22 PM by YGspider »

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
lol!  internet tact  :icon_eyes: :)m horrible at it.  I should probably post more emoticons when I post.
the handful of times I got myself offended at on the boards, I wish I could undo.  I chalk it up to learning experience.
these days II look at every post as friendly humor. now I  dont think somebody could insult me if they tried, lol!  :rock:
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Yes lots of boosted track cars Buick powered Indi cars all mad 25 laps
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal