Author Topic: Upgrade Intercooler... Or Not ??  (Read 7584 times)

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Upgrade Intercooler... Or Not ??
« on: November 05 2013, 09:24:21 AM »
Gents~
I value your experience and opinions...Hel p me on this one.
I know it's all about combinations with these cars, so I have tried to put together a good combination thus far.  Wanting to take the next step, and I think it may be the intercooler, thus my new thread.  If I go with the intercooler, I want the stock location one.
I have read, and re-read the Intercooler section of the Combination Synergy page that Steve posted.
This is a 13K car that sees little to no track time.  Stopped that years ago when the kids came into the picture.   
TE-60, Walbro 255/hotwire, 60# injectors, TT5.7 chip, Accufab FP reg, RJC DP, Pypes 2.5" w/Race Pro mufflers, 2600 10" NL, built trans.  The motor has not been opened up, stock heads, cam, valve springs....
Looking for that killer street combo with good driveability. 
I have researched the GN1 and the PTE.  Seems like two good pieces but the PTE is twice the price.  I don't mind spending the money, but want to realize some gain over the cheaper priced one.
So where do I go from here?  Is the intercooler the next logical step without opening up the motor?   If not, then what next?
'87 GN, 14K miles, TE-60, 60lb inj, TT 5.7, 2800 10" NL conv, RJC 3" DP, Pypes exh w/ Race Pro, Walbro 255 w/Hotwire.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Intercooler... Or Not ??
« Reply #1 on: November 05 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
An alky kit?

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05 2013, 11:53:40 AM »
'87 GN, 14K miles, TE-60, 60lb inj, TT 5.7, 2800 10" NL conv, RJC 3" DP, Pypes exh w/ Race Pro, Walbro 255 w/Hotwire.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
I would think that would yield better results and be just as cost efficient for the $.....

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
1-E85 instant "I DO"
2-Dutt neck IC

Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 05 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
If you are going to run race gas and turn up the boost into the 20's, then a less restrictive IC would make sense.  It is not quite as beneficial if you run alky or E85 altho it probably becomes more so once you are solidly into the elevens.

If you are not going to turn the boost up, then there is little point in spending money on a bigger IC-particularly with a turbo in the range of size that you currently have.

One has to look at the total combination of parts and not believe there is magic in one item...

If you buy the GN1 unit, be sure to check around for fit.  Seems I have heard some having problems with it at full lock steering due to a lack of clearance.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
Don't want to run race gas or E85, just plain old 93.  Used to run a different chip with race gas, and that was a pain in the ass.  Trying to keep it simple these days. 

So with the turbo I have, should I do the IC and the Alky ?  Sounds like in order to turn up the boost, I should have either Alky or race gas.  Since I don't want to run race gas, then is Alky in order?

Am I utilizing my turbo with only running 15-17 lbs of boost?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05 2013, 09:22:16 PM »
Nope..that turbo will still be adding power past 25 psi.  At 15-17 psi it will probably not flow a whole lot more than the stock turbo....

Alky partially replaces the need for a bigger IC..at least until you get into the elevens.  The big mouth intercooler conversion works quite well with alky because it reduces back pressure quite a bit.  A bigger core will add a little more, but, depending upon compressor map, you may get some surge at part throttle out of it.
Steve Wood

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
So it sounds like I need to turn up the boost in order to maximize what I already have as opposed to installing a new IC. 
Apears as though the safest way to do that is to run alky??

Offline ttipe

• VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY NUT CASE
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
Your TE60 is not near its efficiency island. The compressor wheel is 60-1 (great compressor wheel) is in its "zone" probably starting about 21 psi. The stock intercooler with a stock neck has about 3.5 psi back pressure.If you dial in 17 psi (which is what you see at the intake plenum) your turbo has to produce 20.5 psi. That extra pressure generated by your compressor wheel (3.5 psi) is air rub (friction) making heat so your charge air temperature rises. What Steve said is correct....... Steve the Hemco arrived today.Thanks so much. There is a lot to be learned.
4" CAI, severely modded TA61, PTE slic with modded scoop,Weber shrtblock (in process modded Hemco), ported intake, ported GN1's, 212,206,111 cam, T & D 1.6 ratio,8.51 to 1,TA headers,60 lb's , XFI, 8an fuel feed, 6an return, 340L, 9.5 PTC 3200, Janis 2004R, boxed upr & lwrs, HR sway bar 275/ 60r/15s

Offline ttipe

• VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY NUT CASE
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05 2013, 11:36:52 PM »
Joel I'm nearly finished a pump gas motor with a few little twists. The secret to a pump gas engine is reducing heat, burn efficient and be cautious with spark. A pump gas engine that hauls is a little more interesting to do with the original LC2 cylinder heads.If your combo is listed correctly it appears like you are short on fuel pump volume.
4" CAI, severely modded TA61, PTE slic with modded scoop,Weber shrtblock (in process modded Hemco), ported intake, ported GN1's, 212,206,111 cam, T & D 1.6 ratio,8.51 to 1,TA headers,60 lb's , XFI, 8an fuel feed, 6an return, 340L, 9.5 PTC 3200, Janis 2004R, boxed upr & lwrs, HR sway bar 275/ 60r/15s

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05 2013, 11:52:35 PM »
So it sounds like I need to turn up the boost in order to maximize what I already have as opposed to installing a new IC. 
Apears as though the safest way to do that is to run alky??

I did not say safest... race gas would probably be the safest...but alky is probably the most convenient and it's behavior as a "chemical intercooler" takes the ic out of the equation a little.
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
...Steve the Hemco arrived today.Thanks so much. There is a lot to be learned.

Strange that, post office showed it out for delivery last Wednesday....m ust be a long route!  :D

Steve Wood

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
Joel I'm nearly finished a pump gas motor with a few little twists. The secret to a pump gas engine is reducing heat, burn efficient and be cautious with spark. A pump gas engine that hauls is a little more interesting to do with the original LC2 cylinder heads.If your combo is listed correctly it appears like you are short on fuel pump volume.

Thanks for the detailed information.  I am running the Walbro 255 w/Hotwire.  I just updated my profile....  Would I still be short on fuel?  Would new heads be a better choice to get the TE60 in it's range?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand and want to spend the money on the right parts...

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
... and be cautious with spark. ...

If you don't mind could you elaborate Wayne?
 advance? gap? coil energy?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal