Author Topic: Tranny fluid  (Read 10569 times)

Offline Darth Buick

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Tranny fluid
« on: July 08 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
I have a stock 2004R / stock converter.  Changing fluid & filter on car, has been in a museum for 6 years before I bought the car out of the collection.  Dexron 6 or Type F?  Any brand suggestions?  I run Red Line oil for engine / gear fluid.  I know that clutch packs are more finicky in transmissions with friction coefficients / fluids that are spec'ed to the clutches that the OEM manufacturer builds with GM like Borg-Warner, Moog, etc.  The Red Line oil is extremely durable, tends to be more 'slick' than standard synthetic oil manufacturers.  Type F of course has the faster / firmer shifts.  Obviously can't get Dexron II anymore.  Thanks for your input.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Tranny fluid
« Reply #1 on: July 08 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
Having heard mixed reviews of synthetic fluid on the stock clutches, I would be leery myself, and stick with a good Dex-Merc like Valvoline.  I would only use Type F in a tranny rebuilt/upgraded with aftermarket clutches, I think...

I believe the Dexron 6 is supposedly backward compatible with II, but I think I would go with the Dex-Merc.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Darth Buick

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
Thanks Steve, we're on the same page.  I am fine with mineral-based for right now.  Want to keep the trans alive for as long as possible while testing and tuning before shelling out for a major rebuild.  I do remember a lot of 2004R transmissions being rebuilt with Art Carr internals in Knoxville area when I lived there and them being filled with Type F after the rebuild.  I used to hang out with Mark Thomas (Puddin') if you know of him.  Built engines for Lawrence Conley in Texas for a number of years and then came back to Knoxville.  He had the fastest '85 in the country in the early '90's.  He really go me into these cars.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 08 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
I knew Pudd'n well when he worked for LC-super nice guy

I run type F in both my cars but they have both been redone in the past
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
Lonnie Diers of Extreme Automatics is one of the top 200-4r builders. Very briefly here's what he uses & recommends in this order for his builds:

1) Dexron VI - longer life
Yes, Dex VI is backwards compatible with all previous Dex fluids.

2) Ford Type F - short life, best for strip cars that change trans fluid often.  Gives firmer shifting than above.

& as a last resort
3) Dexron III

Here's a link with a more detailed commentary:

http://www.extremeautomatics.com/images/2004R_Transmission_Install.pdf

« Last Edit: July 08 2013, 12:34:39 PM by 1KWIKSIX »

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04 2013, 04:41:30 PM »
Forgive my ignorance.....

My car has had Type F in it for a long time (like 8 years, maybe more), without being changed, without being driven a lot (maybe 1000 miles), but drag raced a little (like 20 passes).

My car is shifting like crap. I don't beat on it anymore but just driving it around it shifts like it's got a mind of its own. Sometimes shifts waaay early and acts like it skips a gear on the upshift or shifts imediately from 1-2-3. Sometimes it delays shifting. First thing I figured I should do is change the fluid and filter, since it's old. Then adjust the TV cable and see what happens. I have a drain plug in the pan and I know you only get part of the fluid with a change out. Is Dex Merc and Dex VI compatible with Type F? Do you think it would make sense to change out the fluid in the pan 3 or four times then drop the pan for a filter change to try to get the most Type F out? Does it matter?
87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
I think most are universal these days, lean toward MERC, or check for TypeF compatibility.

If the trans is acting that wacky, it's doubtful changing the fluid will make a huge difference.

I suppose it couldn't hurt.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
Forgive my ignorance.....

My car has had Type F in it for a long time (like 8 years, maybe more), without being changed, without being driven a lot (maybe 1000 miles), but drag raced a little (like 20 passes).

My car is shifting like crap. I don't beat on it anymore but just driving it around it shifts like it's got a mind of its own. Sometimes shifts waaay early and acts like it skips a gear on the upshift or shifts imediately from 1-2-3. Sometimes it delays shifting. First thing I figured I should do is change the fluid and filter, since it's old. Then adjust the TV cable and see what happens. I have a drain plug in the pan and I know you only get part of the fluid with a change out. Is Dex Merc and Dex VI compatible with Type F? Do you think it would make sense to change out the fluid in the pan 3 or four times then drop the pan for a filter change to try to get the most Type F out? Does it matter?

According to what 1KWIKSIX "2) Ford Type F - short life, best for strip cars that change trans fluid often.  Gives firmer shifting than above."

Also Type F does not provide the heat protection

If you haven't change your transmission fluid after 20 passes you might have already coked something inside the transmission.
You also didn't mention if you have an external transmission cooler, but one is highly recommended, especially if one is using Type F fluid.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Yes, I do have a big ass B&M tranny cooler that is hooked up in series with the factory radiator cooler. The fluid doesn't smell burned or look too bad. Right now I'm just looking for a little better shifting. I always heard type F was "dirtier" and Dex II. A lot of urban legends surround our cars. Most of them are false, except for the 3" pinion snubber, those are the shiznit.

I think I might try to adjust the TV cable detent to see if that helps first. I don't know if the cable would stretch just sitting around but it shouldn't hurt to reset it. Whether that fixes it or not, I think I'm due for a tranny fluid change and some other fluid changes, like brake fluid. Motor oil looks like new but it's been in there a while, calender-wise.
87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
A little update....

I googled the compatibility of Type F and Dex-Merc. The only specific info I found was that Type F is not compatible with Mercon. That makes me wonder if it is also incompatible with Dex-Merc. In general, most of the stuff I found mentioned Dex II, III, Mercon and Dex-Merc being compatible with each other. Also a lot on incompatibilty of Mercon V and Dex VI with earlier fluids. I'm thinking I need to get as much of the Type F out as possible, or replace it with fresh Type F. Fresh Type F might be the best way to go at this point.

12.98 @ 104

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
I haven;t seen Type-F in a parts store in years.

Maybe I just didn't notice.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Hi SuperSix, I did checked online and Advance Auto has their own type F fluid, and Auto Zone has one that is cause Coastal Type F
About 2 years ago I replaced the transmission and filled it Castro Type F fluid from Advance Auto store.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
I believe it is still available. It should be as it is used in other stuff besides Ford trannys. I think it's one of the few w/o friction modifiers, based on what I read yesterday on the interwebs search.

12.98 @ 104

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Coastal-640-oz-Multitrac-tractor-fluid/_/N-25af?itemIdentifier=54318&_requestid=754670

This was recommended to me as a good. I don't have any experience yet though as soon as my assembly is complete this will go in and we will see how it works.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
Can I slide this off with a few questions about this tractor hydraulic fluid or do I need to start my own thread?

I have been doing some reading on this tractor fluid and its properties.
The link I posted is for a multitrac formula with an AW 68 rating. I google searched and came up with this supplier in Racine, Wi with some info on their site.

http://www.hfifluidpowerproducts.com/Pages/Hydraulic-Fluid.html

I doubt shipping fluid like this is cost effective so I will be buying local but info there was helpful.

On a side note,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-386500K-TRANS-SERVICE-KIT-2004R-/400299877836?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item5d33bb65cc&vxp=mtr
A hundred for a filter and a gasket, REALLY?
« Last Edit: September 08 2013, 11:58:50 AM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal