Author Topic: axle seals and brgs. install  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Iownagn-gs

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
axle seals and brgs. install
« on: December 11 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
Just removed the diff cover to begin the changeover.  As I mentioned before, I've done this to my other GN but it does not have lim. slip.  Also, I did this about 7 years ago and I must be growing cobwebs in the grey matter.  I remember removing the carrier case bolt and sliding out the carrier pin which made getting to the clips a lot easier.  The only difference I can see is now I think I need to remove the double "S" shaped tension band to get to the "C" clips.  With removal of the large pin I was able to have someone push in slightly on the axles to get to the C clips.  Before I go wild on this one I need some advice as to the correct procedure.

Thanks,
Walt

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
Re: axle seals and brgs. install
« Reply #1 on: December 12 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
take car out of gear (neutral)
remove wheels
remove axle cover
remove the cross pin retainer bolt (5/16 wrench)
slide the cross pin out
push axles in and retrieve clips with a magnet

no need to remove the preload spring

dont be surprised if the carrier  retainer bolt is broken
its usually broken at the last thread leaving the pin and a thread stuck in the housing which prevents removal of the cross pin

it should look like this  (napa has them)
gm  14056196,  napa bk6351023,  summit rat 5811

« Last Edit: December 12 2012, 12:33:19 PM by PacecarTA »
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline Iownagn-gs

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: axle seals and brgs. install
« Reply #2 on: December 12 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Appreciate your response Paul.  That tension steel band had me going for a while. Did not think there would be enough room to remove the "c" clip.  So far, so good.  I've got the drivers side axle, brg and seal out and am ready to install new hardware including drums and shoes.  Definitely doing one side at a time to keep the side gears in place.  Last time I did this to the other GN, I was able to buy 3 new OEM bolts that you pictured.  My bolt came out without damage, Hoooraw!  Seems the gear lube in this case is Royal Purple?  Really thick and a God awful color.  Anyway, I bought two quarts of Lucas Synthetic, 75-90 or 75-95 and a tube of lim slip additive.

Thanks again.

Walt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal