Author Topic: New 87 GN (Topic merged with "It's On!" post)  (Read 120951 times)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: New 87 GN (Topic merged with "It's On!" post)
« Reply #135 on: December 04 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
I don't see any reason to replace it. I may be wrong though.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 04 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
There's no reason to replace the adapter unless you have to.

That being said look VERY closely at the area around the oval hole. From your pictures it looks like your paper might have curled up and took a little extra. That's the pressure feed for the engine. If that's low you might end up with a undercarriage anti-rust agent.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 04 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
There's no reason to replace the adapter unless you have to.

That being said look VERY closely at the area around the oval hole. From your pictures it looks like your paper might have curled up and took a little extra. That's the pressure feed for the engine. If that's low you might end up with a undercarriage anti-rust agent.

Hmm.. Not sure how it would have curled, I taped the paper to the glass, used WD-40, etc.

Here's the full size pics - look OK?

http://www.ihadav8.com/images/P1020327.jpg
http://www.ihadav8.com/images/P1020328.jpg
http://www.ihadav8.com/images/P1020329.jpg
http://www.ihadav8.com/images/P1020330.jpg
http://www.ihadav8.com/images/P1020331.jpg
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 07 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
thanks...that will do!

I just spent ~30 minutes with it, a can of WD-40, and 2 sheets of 600 wet/dry sandpaper - it looks much better now.

I realized that the bolts need washers - modified 2 washers for the pocket bolts - used regular ones on the other bolts. After putting it all together for a test fit - the gears wouldn't turn - looks like I will need to find a thicker gasket.

Those gears look serviceable to you?
New cover, old gears? With the amount of work you are doing, replacing the gears is a good insurance policy. I don't like the wear pattern on the edge of the gears.

Those gears look serviceable to you?
New cover, old gears? With the amount of work you are doing, replacing the gears is a good insurance policy. I don't like the wear pattern on the edge of the gears.

Those gears are junk.
Get a new set and MAKE SURE you debur the tops and bottoms of the gear teeth.
I believe they're broached and do tend to have a burr due to the cutting process.

You guys are right. The standard Sealed power kit should work?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Sealed+Power/844/224-518/10002/-1#

Odd, Jeg's is almost $5.00 cheaper than Rock Auto...

Ordered the oil pump kit from Amazon - Love the Prime shipping. :)

Should be here today..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7NAWG/ref=oh_o00_s02_i00_details

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 28 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
Got a lot done today - took this week off to get some thing knocked out. That - and it's dead-ass slow this time of year for my industry.

First thing I did was re-torque the heads per Steve's recommendation .

I got the front cover installed, made sure to gasket match the gasket - I cut a decent amount of gasket off at the oil ports, the water ports matched up pretty good, and needed minimal trimming. made sure to use thread sealer on all but the two blind bottom bolts. I used as many stainless fasteners as I could from the bolt kit I bought - overall, I would give the kit a c+, there's some bolts missing, and the long bolt on the water pump was too short once I used the flat and locking washer. I had to use the old one. One of the 5 small WP bolts was missing too - you will see in the pics I also used an old one there. I stripped out the very top water pump bolt, luckily I can use a bolt and nut in that location. I may tap it out and use a larger SS bolt. I forgot to put red Loctite on the dam crank bolt until AFTER I hammered it down  :x - had to get creative to get the bolt back off so I could put some on it. I used blue Loctite for the bottom pulley bolts.

The intake went on without a hitch - used anti-seize since I used the SS intake manifold bolts that came with the kit. I made sure to put a thin smear of RTV around the water jackets, and used the Permatex aviation gasket sealer around the intake ports. Do I need to re-torque the intake like the heads?  :hmm

Got the driveshaft done - replaced the very worn yoke with a new one, and some heavy duty U joints. Took forever to melt that plastic shit out - cleaned up the remains of the plastic, and slammed the cups in. Came out nice. I will take it to get it balanced before I put it in though.

And of course - lots of pics. The valve covers are just sitting on the motor now - I won't install those for good until I get the motor int he car.

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 28 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Nice.Very pretty.

Looks like a motorized engine stand.(pic 1 and 3)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 28 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
I wondered how they sold the bolt kits so cheap... Those long bolts are freakin pricy. I made my kits with SS socket head cap screws and they added up quick! I was starting to feel bad about wanting $100 for mine.

On that top water pump bolt, you're probably OK. It's actually a large metric fastener. It seems like it's 8mm. I'll have to dig out my bolt kit notes to make sure.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 29 2011, 12:09:59 PM »
I wondered how they sold the bolt kits so cheap... Those long bolts are freakin pricy. I made my kits with SS socket head cap screws and they added up quick! I was starting to feel bad about wanting $100 for mine.

On that top water pump bolt, you're probably OK. It's actually a large metric fastener. It seems like it's 8mm. I'll have to dig out my bolt kit notes to make sure.

It was only about 1/8" - 1/4" short, just sloppy.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 29 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
Worked on it some more yesterday - small pain in the ass problems popping up, I knew it was too easy so far. :p

New PCV grommet kicked my ass - after looking, I had the wrong one - seems Kirban and Gbodysucks.com sells the correct one. I am waiting for a PM core credit from Dennis - I will order it from him. I have the correct PCV, just couldn't get it in the manifold, and tore the Standard parts replacement I had. I should have installed it when I had the manifold out. Hindsight.. etc.so forth.

Went to install the flexplate - three or four of the teeth are buggered - I am ordering a new CAT unit from Full Throttle today.

I forgot to put the turbo drain tube when I had good access - PITA, but it's in now.

Got the accessory bracket and tensioner mounted, temp gauge sender mounted - I need to make a trip to Home Depot to get some brass fittings to get the oil pressure sender mounted.

Pics!

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
Looks awesome Mark, but if that is a Suzuki I don't think it can tow it.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 30 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
Got quite a bit more done today.

installed:
Throttle cable bracket
Alternator
A/C compressor
Oil pan (After grinding/sanding off 3 layers of really poorly applied paint)
motor mounts
Starter / heat shield
Temporarily installed the fuel rail / FP regulator - not going to install it until i get the new PVC grommet and PCV installed.

The EGR is going bye-bye, I ordered a block off plate when I ordered the new flywheel..

Mocked up the driver's side header to see how SS bolt kit worked - turned out nice. I can't figure how to get the dipstick installed, didn't spend much time trying to figure it out though. I think I have the gasket backwards in the pic.

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
Thanks for the level of photographic detail.
Got one sitting on a stand I need to address one day....
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30 2011, 11:11:10 PM »
While access is easy (giggity) it would be a good time to fab up a starter strap.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 31 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
While access is easy (giggity) it would be a good time to fab up a starter strap.

* SuperSix is stupid

What's a starter strap?

I am probably going to order a mini starter (NOT a Powerbastard one), I need CHarlie to get me the details.

Rolled her out in the sun for a few pics..

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 31 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
Send me an email Mark. I can send you some links or you can get the gear reduction one I've had sitting here for 4 years now. Car's still not back together and I can get another one it's closer to being finished.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal