Author Topic: Another oil leak  (Read 4836 times)

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Another oil leak
« on: December 18 2021, 04:16:57 PM »
So I fixed the leak from the passenger side valve cover gasket.  But the car is still leaking oil.  I got the oil leak detection kit, but it's not much help, other than the fact that I don't see oil coming out from under that valve cover.  The leak appears to be coming from somewhere above the front brace that connects the frame rails in front of the deep part of the oil pan.  I tried to take a picture through the yellow glasses and with the UV flashlight aimed at the dyed oil, but that didn't work out so well--mostly because I didn't have enough hands and also probably due to the limitations of the telephone camera.  I've attached it anyway.  The bright yellow is the general area of the leak.  It isn't a very good representation as the actual bright yellow is much smaller and mostly on the vertical back of the crossmember.  Any thoughts?
Keith

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Another oil leak
« Reply #1 on: December 18 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
oil pressure sender, front seal, oil pump itself, front or rear of intake manifold? Have to do some clean up and see with some baby powder in my world.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 18 2021, 05:06:06 PM »
Check the turbo drain back line both at the turbo and the block (and cracks in the line).  Also be sure the fitting that screws into the block that the drainback line connects to is tight.  Then check around the oil pump to see if it is leaking where it joins the oil cooler adapter.  Also the oil pressure sender where it screws in....make sure it is not cracked or whatever....    This stuff is on the passenger side so it's all suspect along with the pan gasket LOL...that narrow it down?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18 2021, 05:18:33 PM »
While your list doesn't seem "narrow," it's a lot narrower than "it could be anything."  So, thank you.  Work to do!
Keith

Offline ~JM~

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18 2021, 08:59:00 PM »
Have you tested your PCV valve to verify that it blocks boost pressure from entering crankcase?

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18 2021, 10:49:46 PM »
Not yet.  Will do.

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22 2021, 05:10:37 PM »
Tightned up everything I could see and reach.  We'll see what happens.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22 2021, 06:05:11 PM »
Rockers always leaked on my engine. I used every fukn gasket going. Got pissed off and used the Right Stuff on it...no more leaks. Just need a crowbar to get the rockers off.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23 2021, 10:19:21 AM »
Rockers always leaked on my engine. I used every fukn gasket going. Got pissed off and used the Right Stuff on it...no more leaks. Just need a crowbar to get the rockers off.
Have you try Victor VS 39763 TC General Motors V/6 196 231 252 Engine Valve Cover Gasket (EBay)
EBay has them for about $15.66.
I had them on for about 15 years with no leaks, and just recently replaced the value springs I used my same spare set and again no leak when start up.
The only thing using this gasket I had to used a Dremel with a round sanding bit to take off about 1/8" only one side of the gasket holes. This is due to the nature of valve cover gets narrow towards the valve cover mounting hole hear the bolt holes. I then put some RTV on the valve cover place Victor's gasket and NO RTV on the heads.
The heads are not mill flat, and this gasket has a very thin metal sandwich between cork material, and when you tighten the valve cover bolts this gasket will bend just enough compensate the little rounded heads.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
The car is long gone.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11 2022, 07:15:46 PM »
I replaced the PCV valve, which was unexpectedly difficult (the grommet part).  This is the PCV valve that was in it and the new one I got from Kirban Performance.  The old one, you could blow through it from either side.  The new one, you couldn't.  This might be part of my oil leak problem.  Not sure yet.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12 2022, 12:17:43 PM »
It should change your blms for the better. It might reduce oil consumption. Not sure about a leak.
Steve Wood

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
    • Joe Tripodi's 1987 Buick Regal Limited T
« Reply #12 on: February 12 2022, 09:12:42 PM »
If you could blow through both sides that means boost pressure was getting into the engine causing oil to blow out from the pan gasket mostly.
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13 2022, 09:43:14 AM »
That's what I feared.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13 2022, 05:41:32 PM »
Boost pressure drops as soon as it emerges from whatever restriction the pcv creates...that is just the way the physics works.  If the volume of air coming out of the pcv is large enuf to overwhelm the valve cover breathers, it might eventually build some pressure in the crankcase but this would take prolonged operation under boost which does not happen often.

Pan gasket install is pretty iffy.  Too loose bolts are problematic and too tight of bolts cut the gasket like it was made out of a soft material...oh, wait, it is.  torque values are very important on the pan install.
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal