Author Topic: Installing a turbo for dummies  (Read 7150 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a turbo for dummies
« Reply #15 on: March 12 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
washer. weld. nut. weld. extract.

Basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrz-cphBY4

But using the washer first gives you more surface area to weld against, especially when you weld the outside of the nut to the washer face, and then the stud to the inside of the nut.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

But using the washer first gives you more surface area to weld against, especially when you weld the outside of the nut to the washer face, and then the stud to the inside of the nut.

And that is exactly how I had it taken off this morning...

Got everything on without a hiccup the second time around.  Hit the pre-luber then started her up.  Only got to idle her a bit before the rain clouds started rolling in so I didn't get a chance to take it out but there are no oil leaks (yet).

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Installing a turbo for dummies
« Reply #17 on: March 13 2015, 01:28:12 AM »
Whooo Hoooo glad you got it on.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13 2015, 10:51:15 AM »

And that is exactly how I had it taken off this morning...

Got everything on without a hiccup the second time around.  Hit the pre-luber then started her up.  Only got to idle her a bit before the rain clouds started rolling in so I didn't get a chance to take it out but there are no oil leaks (yet).

Nice.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
Return line, easy...matched right up.
The exhaust was easy...matched right up.
Putting the 4 bolts thru the DP and mother fucker...

At least it is nice and clean. I broke several of those off when I did the last headgasket. I thought it a good time to apply neversieze to the bolts. I have another ported housing I wanted to swap, and thought it would be easier if there was neversieze on the fasteners.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
I guess while we are on this topic, is there anything special about these bolts (since they see such high heat cycles)? Does everyone just use a 10.9 bolt or ??? I'm getting ready to put my new turbo on, and I think the old bolts are looking pretty brittle and crusty.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Hey Gavin,

Why not just install new studs in the exh hsg, that way you will only have to remove the nuts.......
Of course Stainless would be the preferred hardware of choice.....sti ll should use some sort of hi temp never seize

Believe this will take care of the issue at hand.

Dave

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
What grade of stainless bolt? I'd be concerned about getting the right torque (tension actually) with stainless.

I'm OK with studs too, but I think I still have the same question, what grade, what torque?

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
Torque really isn't all that important in that area. It' not like you're deflecting anything with clamping force.   All you're doing is clamping the two flanges tight enough so that the thin layer of RTV can do it's job.

It's way more important to use anti-seeze on exhaust bolts, ESP anything touching the hot side of a turbo.
« Last Edit: March 17 2015, 02:48:14 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
I always make a stop at my favorite exhaust shop here in town with some coffees for the boys...and they set me up with the proper exhaust studs and nuts. :rock:
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17 2015, 12:43:40 PM »
Torque really isn't all that important in that area. It' not like you're deflecting anything with clamping force.   All you're doing is clamping the two flanges tight enough so that the thing layer of RTV can do it's job.

It's way more important to use anti-seeze on exhaust bolts, ESP anything touching the hot side of a turbo.

I want to re-state my concern and reasoning.
A stainless bolt (of a reasonable grade) is nominally harder than a standard (say grade 5-8) steel bolt, but the tensile strength is not higher. That means higher set torque to get the right bolt stretch to maintain torque (not loosen), so you decrease your safety margin to yeilding the bolt. Over torque is just as bad, if not worse, than not enough torque. Given the thermal expansion I would say materials, grades, and fastening torque are pretty important... and will lead to keeping your flat surfaces flat.
That's the theory anyhow, I'm looking for proven methods... to which it sounds like there are no torque values or fastener strengths considered. If so, you're right earl, its not sensative enough to care.
I'm laying out my thought process, because that seems odd to me since I remember my old stock elbow wouldnt seal for crap after I took it off the first time and I didnt consider anything regarding the torque setting or bolt grade back then either.

FWIW... I just thought of another good point: thermal expansion. I dont know how much difference there is in expansion of steel vs stainless, but... since the flange is not cast iron like the factory elbow, maybe the bolts SHOULD be stainless since they will expand at the same rate as the DP flange and tension in the joint would remain pretty close?  (also agrees with your logic earl)

Good talk, thanks.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
I always like the science behind how things work.

In this case, the SWAG factor is just too great.     A couple 10,000ths here and there from varying thermal expansion rates really aren't going to matter.  The fasteners and flanges are just too small for anything to stack up enough to be catastrophic.

In my case, I tighten the bolts down until I think the hex wrench is on he verge of distorting the fastener.  That's my personal 'THDP torque sequence'.   Same bolts since I installed it the first time in '98.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal