Author Topic: nocooler's firechicken thread  (Read 236652 times)

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: nocooler's firechicken thread
« Reply #1320 on: July 10 2022, 10:19:45 AM »
Thanks guys!
We ended up trailering it over yesterday. It will get driven over click off some 9s and drive home that's a pretty attainable goal at this point.
Obviously, I wasn't even trying on the tree and I'm very rusty. They have a 10.0 index race coming up, that could be interesting.
It was on 5 year old MT ET drag 28x10.5 stiff wall slicks, a 275 radial would pick up a couple mph
IhaveaV8

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 11 2022, 09:20:02 AM »
Jeremy, check to see what's allowed for index racing at your track. Nothing was allowed for Sportsman Class, but Pro and Super Pro got into delay boxes etc. Keeping the Buick on a dial with temp/humidity changes was enuf of a challenge, let alone having to deal with cars with that stuff. I went to the FM to keep the car more consistent, but I kept notes on temp humidity for every run for every race weekend. I had a pretty good idea what the car would do from run to run in regard to temp/humidity change. The NA cars weren't affected near as much.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 11 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
Brad the guy that wins it normally goes 10.001 with a .010 light or something - boxes are allowed in the index class.
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 11 2022, 04:37:04 PM »
So my brother bought a short bus 06 envoy Denali  that needed the active fuel management/displacement on demand deleted, as it’s failing. Basically cam/lifters/valley cover we will probably do a timing chain and an oil pump. I’m finally ready to start unbolting the heads it took all day to remove the exhaust manifold bolts! Propane torch made quick work of the ones I could reach but there were 3 bolts I spent all afternoon on. All 3 rounded the heads off and a e20 socket saved the day. I still had to use a 5ft cheater bar on one!
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #1324 on: July 11 2022, 06:19:15 PM »
You got some luck!  Even with my feebility, I would have broken that sucker off as soon as I picked up a cheater bar!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 11 2022, 09:01:36 PM »
I either had to break them loose or break them off. The ways it’s packaged is a nightmare. It’s got one broken bolt on on the drivers side head and 2 on the passenger side that were broke before I touched it, so I’ll have to extract those. Tomorrow hopefully I can get the heads,cam, and lifters pulled out, and he can start ordering replacement parts.
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 12 2022, 10:28:18 AM »
Packaging nightmare.
Look how rounded that bolt head is and that e20 reverse torx had no issues, even with a 5ft cheater!
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 12 2022, 01:05:55 PM »
I would have bet against it working...mayb e I need a better attitude
Steve Wood

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 12 2022, 08:41:04 PM »
I asked my brother to rent the proper balancer puller yet he shows up with a harbor freight set. He destroyed one of the pullers in the set and bent another one. Took over an hour of messing with it, had he rented the proper one it would have been a 10 minute job.
Heads are off and mechanically it looks okay. It appears that 3 out of 4 displacement on demand solenoids failed, they test out of spec
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 16 2022, 02:04:16 PM »
My uncle called and really wants me to try the 10.0 index class, he is going to run the 8.5 class. Wants to go next Saturday, test and scope out the competition, then try the event in September when it comes back around.
I configured and tested the “bump” function, now I can light the top bulb build boost and bump into the 2nd.
Looks like this th400 is leaking again. I must be over tightening the pan, I think this time around I’ll just use a bead of the right stuff and be done with it.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 16 2022, 06:44:12 PM »
You're sure it's the pan and not something else
Steve Wood

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 16 2022, 07:54:42 PM »
Not 100% - the front of the pan was covered and there was about 4oz of fluid in the catch can. Im learning a hard lesson, my brothers envoy is on my lift - so I had to jack my car up….
IhaveaV8

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 17 2022, 07:56:20 AM »
Not 100% - the front of the pan was covered and there was about 4oz of fluid in the catch can. Im learning a hard lesson, my brothers envoy is on my lift - so I had to jack my car up….
My uncle called and really wants me to try the 10.0 index class, he is going to run the 8.5 class. Wants to go next Saturday, test and scope out the competition, then try the event in September when it comes back around.
I configured and tested the “bump” function, now I can light the top bulb build boost and bump into the 2nd.
Looks like this th400 is leaking again. I must be over tightening the pan, I think this time around I’ll just use a bead of the right stuff and be done with it.

Jeremy, I had more fun hanging out with the other racers than I had racing. You'll make lifetime friends.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 17 2022, 10:26:16 AM »
So I came out a decent-sized puddle on the cardboard. I cleaned it all up, let the car warm up, and put it on the trans brake/2step a few times, and nothing. I'm wondering if it's just sat too long and needs a front pump seal, or it was overfilled....
That's one thing about the t-56 it never leaked!
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 17 2022, 11:05:46 AM »
and 30 minutes later it's leaking.
IhaveaV8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal