Author Topic: USED INJECTOR STORAGE  (Read 3463 times)

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
USED INJECTOR STORAGE
« on: January 31 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
This weekend I'm going to change out my injectors and install new ones. I'm just going to place them in a sealed plastic bag for storage. Is this the best way to store used injectors? There's a good chance I may be installing them on another TR so I want to keep them from becoming defective.
86 EL CAMINO w/ GN drivetrain - NICE!  86 T-TYPE - NICER!  87 GN -- NICEST!

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: USED INJECTOR STORAGE
« Reply #1 on: January 31 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
years ago when I had some used injectors (AKA: have fuel in them), I built a harness out of a broken cordless drill and an injector plug.   Basically I used the trigger and the battery to power the injector.
I slid a hose on the output side and put it into some Yamaha Carb Cleaner, sucked on the inlet and chattered the trigger.
Once I saw the cleaner come out of the top, I sealed each injector in a small bag, then put all 6 in a bigger bag.

I want to say they sat like that for several years and didn't gum up.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
Thanks for that, Earl, but well past my paygrade. I'd probably short them out permanently. Would you guess how long they might remain ungummed up without doing that?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
Without doing anything, I'd give them a couple months at the most.  ESP if you do it now, because the refineries are making 'winter blend' which flashes off even faster than normal.

it's really not that complex.   If you have a second set of hands, you could take a 9volt battery and it's wires to do the same thing.  I'm sure 9 volts would be enough to chatter the little electro magnet just to get some jizz in there.

My test rig sounds more complex than it really was.  I had a 12V cordless drill fall of my deck and break in two.  I was left with a handle/trigger that had two wires poking out the top and a 12V battery on the bottom.  It was perfect for applying momentary pulses of 12V since the trigger is already a momentary switch. :)

I used the Yamaha Carb Cleaner because I had it and I know how well it works on bike and ATV carbs. (and doesn't eat plastic or rubber).  Since it's designed to dissolve gas varnish and doesn't eat base material, I figured it'd be great to keep varnish from happening in the first place.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
a couple months at the most.

Sooo..., if I have driven my GN about 40 miles in 22 yrs, I may need to have my injectors cleaned?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31 2019, 06:39:07 PM »
if you remove your injectors from your car and expose them to air, yes you'll probably have to clean them.

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31 2019, 06:44:04 PM »
Sounds straightforwar d enough. I never messed with fuel injectors on the bench, but with the specter of them going bad in a short time, I'll just have to figure it out per your suggestions. I wasn't familiar with the yamalube cleaner either, but found it online. That, and a little jizz works well on oil leaks, G-body door hinges, and apparently fuel injectors.  :cheers:

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06 2019, 06:29:37 PM »

I used the Yamaha Carb Cleaner because I had it and I know how well it works on bike and ATV carbs. (and doesn't eat plastic or rubber).  Since it's designed to dissolve gas varnish and doesn't eat base material, I figured it'd be great to keep varnish from happening in the first place.

I got the yamaha carb cleaner you recommended in the mail, today. I bought it through Walmart for $12.99 a quart, which, it's funny -- free shipping and no sales tax. No jiz though!  :(

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
Had the gas tank watered on my GN a couple years back. I dropped the tank...cleaned it...and blew the lines out. My buddy Steve with the turbo'd Hayabusa I race with cleaned the injectors with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_fgUDc0rE
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15 2019, 06:35:00 PM »
Without doing anything, I'd give them a couple months at the most.  ESP if you do it now, because the refineries are making 'winter blend' which flashes off even faster than normal.

it's really not that complex.   If you have a second set of hands, you could take a 9volt battery and it's wires to do the same thing.  I'm sure 9 volts would be enough to chatter the little electro magnet just to get some jizz in there.

My test rig sounds more complex than it really was.  I had a 12V cordless drill fall of my deck and break in two.  I was left with a handle/trigger that had two wires poking out the top and a 12V battery on the bottom.  It was perfect for applying momentary pulses of 12V since the trigger is already a momentary switch. :)

OK, I finally got around to try to clean my injectors for storage. I made up a harness with which to apply momentary pulses to the injector as per your description. I put three inches of fuel line on top of the injector and filled it with the cleaner, made momentary pulses to the injector, so basically now what? Nothing came out the bottom of the injector. Do I somehow have to pressurize the cleaning fluid to have it go through, or what?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
When I did mine, I sucked in the intake side of the injector to draw the cleaning solution backward through the injector.
  My main goal was to get the gas out so it couldn't turn to shellac.     If you're hoping to see debris come out just from that little bit, I doubt that will happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal