Author Topic: money to spend  (Read 6297 times)

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: money to spend
« Reply #15 on: December 08 2015, 11:50:46 PM »
My LS1 valve train sounds like I have dwarfs hitting the valves with a hammer. It's a older style cam with lobes that are "square".

Like Mike mentioned - there have been tons of advancements in cam lobe profiles over the last few years. The newer stuff is quieter than the old stuff and easier on the valve train in general.

It's all a trade off. Set it up properly and you should be good. 

IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
This was just posted.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/parting-engine-3-roller-cam-with-lifters-timing-cover.435097/#post-3617108

You and I need to talk to Bison about grinding a cam for these engines we're building. :) I'm calling him over the holidays. :powersix:

That's not a bad idea but I already have a cam picked,bought and installed for this build.  It's a custom grind.  If you want I can send you the spec sheet
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
My LS1 valve train sounds like I have dwarfs hitting the valves with a hammer. It's a older style cam with lobes that are "square".

Like Mike mentioned - there have been tons of advancements in cam lobe profiles over the last few years. The newer stuff is quieter than the old stuff and easier on the valve train in general.

It's all a trade off. Set it up properly and you should be good.

Not to mention the quality of cam cores... Here is a comparison video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPW61HKzw5U I made between a custom Comp cam made a few years ago for our LS1 wagon vs. The factory LS9 cam I shoved in my TBSS's LS2.  If you look closely you can see the horizontal lines across the Comp's lobes which would have lead to horrible valvetrain whine - like a noisey Pete Jackson gear drive timing set.  Anyway I had Comp polish the lobes, it is marginally acceptable now.  The quality of the GM is a night and day improvement.  You will see the same from Cam Motion - don't buy Comp. Period.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal