Author Topic: oil question  (Read 9295 times)

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
Re: oil question
« Reply #30 on: February 15 2020, 08:45:06 AM »
Well, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I couldn't find out those details as I bought the engine used and I found out from the seller that he himself did not assemble it. The machine shop did. I can't complain because I got it very, very, cheap! The heads and roller-rockers alone are worth twice what I paid for the whole motor. I'm sure I'll be OK as long as my compression numbers don't decline.  :)
86 EL CAMINO w/ GN drivetrain - NICE!  86 T-TYPE - NICER!  87 GN -- NICEST!

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15 2020, 02:58:44 PM »
They shouldn't decline.   Once the engine is ''broken in'', it's pretty much done.

There's worse things in life than oil that turns black.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
Just to finish up, I did an abbreviated compression test, testing only one cylinder which initially read 132 psi before adding the Restore. Unfortunately it still read the same thing after 600 miles with Restore. So much for that, at least in my experience, but it was worth a try.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
132 might not be that bad depending on your static compression and cam timing.
Since you didn't build the engine, there's no way to really know.

A leak down test would have been a better control, but that would require the use of my time machine now.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
I'd do the leak down now and see where you are. And I wouldn't feel bad about the 132 psi. More boost fixes a lot of ills. 
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18 2020, 06:08:53 PM »
very informative thread
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19 2020, 05:38:01 PM »
I'd do the leak down now and see where you are. And I wouldn't feel bad about the 132 psi. More boost fixes a lot of ills.

It's a minor issue, and I'm not really concerned, because, my immediate thought was, as you say, just turn up the boost to compensate for lower compression, and maybe like Earl has suggested, it's due to cam timing. It's a 212-212, by the way. If my compression was higher, I'd just have knock at lower boost. I'm running at 21 lbs of boost now with a 6262 turbo w/ DIY alky, with no knock. I'd turn it up, but the incidence of challenges out there, for me, anyway, is so low, I'm just not motivated to do so. Hell, I just took off my 20" wheels and gained at least three car lengths out of the hole. :D

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20 2020, 12:34:15 AM »
If I'd known you had 20" wheels, I'd saved you a lot of trouble

...and never replied at all.

Glad to see you're getting warmer to having an actual car that may, or may not, run right.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal