Author Topic: Had a bit of bad luck  (Read 11319 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Had a bit of bad luck
« on: August 21 2019, 11:28:19 AM »

Well after over thirty yrs of ownership(bought it new and have enjoyed driving it very much), a lady ran into the back of it on the way to work last Monday. It will be repaired, and I'm waiting on the lady's insurance to come out and adjust on it.

Gonna need a frame, pass quarter and some other parts, bumper, tail light, cap, filler ect...

This brings me to the question. Can I use any G body frame? Do i "need" a turbo regal specific frame? The car wont be sold in my lifetime, I have two children that love it and I'm sure one will become the care taker when I"m gone. Original is kinked(see pic) so I'm not really wanting to try to have it "pulled" back. Considered doing a frame notch but would not think it would be as strong as a not previously kinked one.

Any thoughts as I'm sure there have been others who have been through this traumatic experience.

Worst part was the little chevy that hit it was just scratched up and she drove it away.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Had a bit of bad luck
« Reply #1 on: August 21 2019, 12:20:06 PM »
The HS frames are supposed to be thicker, but that's not really a deal breaker.

If you're not in a hurry to put it back on the road, I'd buy a junker Regal.  Then pull the body off, do a bunch of autocross style frame reinforcements, suspension cleaning/painting/upgrades, etc...

Then patch up your body and put it on the 'new' frame.     With any luck the hypothetical junk roller will have a good ass end.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21 2019, 01:51:57 PM »
Holy shit Rich - that sucks!
Couple other options, talk to a frame shop about straightening, chassis shop fabricate a tube rear frame section, or be a like a up north red neck and replace the rear rails with donors.
IhaveaV8

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21 2019, 03:05:43 PM »
I'd have a frame shop pull it out straight an replace just the rear section part of the frame where it's attached to the side rails (factory welds. Not hard to do at all. ) Body I'd do the same. If ya have buckles in the roof they should come out when they pull everything back like it should be. Then just replace the rear quarter and other damaged panels. hmmm are both rear quarters damaged ???? If so I'd clip it . Cleaner job. Good Luck

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21 2019, 03:27:46 PM »
I have some feelers out. Yeah it does blow, Not drive able as the frame rubs the tire. I have a line on a car that has been apart since early 2ks, last tagged in 03. Body is off the frame, frame has been notched. Guy was doing an LS swap but lost interest. It is pretty much what I want as it is a rosewood ltd turbo car. Unfortunately no drive train. I might know the guys he thinks he sold it to but that is a future thing when I get this car secured.

My idea is to try to find a rolling chassis. set this body on it and get it to my place. Then I can use the notched frame and maybe do some mini tubs on the black one. Swap the drivetrain out of the black one and do the 4.1 for the black one. That has been the plan but I never could pull the trigger on a decent running 3.8 in the car. Then the only hurdle becomes a rear end for the black car. Maybe a nine inch, possibly figure out how to use the 8.5 ten bolt I have out of a 72 skylark with the bolt in axles. That turbofish38 guy did that swap on his back when.

Really my dreams have been running wild as a rosewood chrome car is really a dream for me and this one kinda fell in my lap if I can get the money together and do the logistics. A couple of my local friends have said they would help get it so we will have to see.
A little teaser pic of the one I want to get.

The ugly, It needs a driver side floor pan.

Some assembly required. It has 78k original miles and it has the big stainless trim on the rocker and doors. I like that.
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 21 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
Me too!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21 2019, 08:50:54 PM »
Sorry to see that happen Rich, glad to hear you are okay though.  Knowing you, you'll get it back together again.  Be pretty cool if you are able to pick up the limited.
87 Regal Limited

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21 2019, 10:00:02 PM »
So Sorry!. I thought this was your driver- can you work around that?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22 2019, 08:04:47 AM »
It was until last Monday. I have a couple trucks and I went ahead and deleted the vats on the one I was going to swap a newer 411 computer into. That will have to wait now. I put a pair of front shocks on it and pressed it into service. I'm having trouble with the short and long term fuel trims on bank one. I put a new o2 in as I believe them to be original but it won't go to readiness as the o2 heater won't make ready even after driving it four days. Starts and runs. No mil. Might have a vacuum leak but I sprayed it down with carb cleaner around the intake and pulled the maf off and sprayed it with the fancy maf cleaner spray. Still 25% on the Ltft and with the o2 the short terms got worse to the 30-34% range. Probably just going to have to pull the manifold and put new gaskets in.

The adjuster is suppose to be here this am. We will see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 22 2019, 08:28:42 AM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
Hopefully you're alright!  I can't get over the damage.  I wonder what the cost would be to fix the other car even though it doesn't look that bad?
Here's a to a speedy recovery for the car! :cheers:

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
That sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully you can salvage it if you want to.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
I would have sworn I have the market cornered on bad luck. Nobody hurt?

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
I wonder what happened to those nice frames Charlie was working on?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
Probably still sitting in the same spot
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
Rich asked me about them. I’ll be home this afternoon and I’ll try to run out to Charlie’s old place and see if they’re still there.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal