Author Topic: Intercoolers  (Read 18444 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Intercoolers
« Reply #45 on: February 09 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
I watched Grumpy closely from Day 1 and quickly found out that all that's required is a stock short block, a good set of heads, a good torque convertor, Erics chip, Powerlogger, someone that knows how to tune...and lots of practice at the track. I never let myself get suckered into vendors pushing their latest/greatest cool guy stuff. The vendors will gladly take your money promising their latest cool guy part will turn your TR into a hell ride.

I quit thinking about these cars about 5 years ago. Stock junk, Erics chip and PL rule...period.

I had my cable shut off about 7 years ago and quit reading newspapers about the same time. The world's fukd.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline ss/gn

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10 2019, 05:50:24 PM »

Run a RJC Power Plate. :chin:

Russ has a lot of compassion for these old cars. He is thinking day an night of "hey what if we did this an that" ?   Me I just sleep like a baby. My thinking days have got up an went  :cool; IN ALKY WE TRUST  :rock:

Yup if you tell people what works they don't believe ya...........s tay tuned :icon_lol:

It's just a six cylinder, you can't loose
Kevin

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11 2019, 03:52:49 AM »

On the other hand, I look around me and wonder how long it will be until civilization is in a total melt down so I guess things balance out in the end LOL

The beloved AOC nitwit says her and the other millineal nitwits insist it's 12 years.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #48 on: February 11 2019, 09:52:26 AM »

On the other hand, I look around me and wonder how long it will be until civilization is in a total melt down so I guess things balance out in the end LOL

The beloved AOC nitwit says her and the other millineal nitwits insist it's 12 years.

Unless the polar reversal guys are right and that happens in the next couple of years and we lose 80% of the population to solar radiation and starvation.

I would almost feel sorry for AOC, but, then I realize she will soon be a millionaire flying around with Al Gore on his plane.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11 2019, 06:22:32 PM »

I would almost feel sorry for AOC, but, then I realize she will soon be a millionaire flying around with Al Gore on his plane.

I have a feeling that's not going to happen.   She's going to get spoiled on that $3K+ a week in 'free money' until she's voted out of office for failing to produce all the free shit she promised.

Since she's cute and can't hack it as a bartender/waitress, that pretty much means she's incapable of earning a living in the real world.  I really want to watch that.     Her life is ruined and she just doesn't know it yet.

....the bad part is the media will stop licking her ass as soon as she's out of office and I won't be able to enjoy the crash.  She'll be forgotten about just as fast as Christine Deblossy Ford  (or whatever her name is).
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12 2019, 12:42:33 PM »
Uummm AOC got a 10 MILLION $$$$ book deal !!! I wonder if she is goin to give 9 mil back to the government to help the poor people and ones that don't want to work  :rock:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12 2019, 02:05:53 PM »
she's gonna spend most of her time giving paid for speeches, appearing on tv shows, and demonstrating how to become rich just because she's "different".  Whether she keeps any of it long term, well that's a different matter.
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12 2019, 03:56:47 PM »
Yeah, her lack of money management skills are really going to hurt in the long run.

It's like they say....    The only thing worse than not having any money, is having money and then NOT having money.

I haven't heard about the $10M book deal.  I wonder how the pricing breaks down?  I'm assuming an agent and/or publisher gets a chunk, the the actual author gets a good chunk.

After watching an interview with Newt a couple months ago, he pointed out something interesting that's seems to be a new thing.    We've not got all these low level players, that get handed :15 of fame, then they have a contest on who can be the most outlandish.   At that exact same time, they have a book come out.   Then, for a few weeks, they're on every non-fox network plugging the book until the fade out for the next one.

This is the first time in history I've seen multiple democrats ''rising to the occasion''. Normally that's a republican thing as the democrats pick one person, follow him/her blindly, then left with nothing with they fizzle.   Now it all makes sense....   book deals.

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12 2019, 05:52:37 PM »
Yeah, AOC.  :rolleyes;  But of course, the dysfunction can't be attributed just to her or just the dimocrats. Clown world took some time to get here, but now we're right in the middle of it, and there is no knight in shining armor in the TOTALLY CORRUPT US gov that's going to fix anything. In fact they're working to make sure clown world stays in place.

« Last Edit: February 12 2019, 07:38:33 PM by john robertson »
86 EL CAMINO w/ GN drivetrain - NICE!  86 T-TYPE - NICER!  87 GN -- NICEST!

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13 2019, 12:13:06 AM »

Offline john robertson

• Bone Stock
  • I'M INCOGNITO
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-Uemf8-RU#t=6

Shit! If you think that video is funny, THIS is really funny! :icon_lol:  How about that newly elected African congresswoman who dared to suggest that (((AIPAC)))  pays off our illustrious lawmakers for influence. What a hoot that claim is. Here's an excerpt from The Foreign Policy Journal that blows that shit right out of the water:

AIPAC itself does not make political contributions and is in fact legally prohibited from doing so. Instead it uses its considerable resources ($3 million annual lobbying budget) to link current and aspiring members of Congress with pro-Israel donors. AIPAC’s projection of invincibility encourages political candidates and officeholders to accept pro-Israel contributions or risk seeing those funds go to their opponents. For example, former Congressman Paul Findley and former Senator Charles Percy lost their seats for failure to adhere to the AIPAC line.

The AIPAC-led pro-Israel lobby is probably the strongest, best organized and most effective lobby network in Washington DC. For the 2015-2016 election cycle, the pro-Israel network has already dispensed $4,255,136 in contributions. The largest single amount ($259,688) went to Senator Charles Schumer of New York.

Among interest groups that lobby on behalf of a foreign government, none ranks higher in contributions to members of Congress than the pro-Israel lobby.

To illustrate how such contributions influence legislative action, take two pro-Israel bills introduced on February 10, 2016, one in the House and one in the Senate, both with the title: “Combatting BDS Act of 2016.” H.R.4514, introduced by Illinois Congressman Bob Dold, has 22 cosponsors; of those 23 members, 12 receive 2016 pro-Israel lobby contributions averaging $23K. S. 2531, introduced by Senator Mark Kirk of Illinois, has 17 cosponsors; of the 18 cosponsors, 15 receive 2016 pro-Israel lobby contributions that average $60K.

Several of those members of Congress who cosponsored the pro-Israel bill, but without 2016 contributions, received substantial gift money during the six years period 2009-2015. A maplight.org table shows that among House bill sponsors Bob Dold (who introduced the bill) received $118K; Kathleen Rice $49K; Jackie Walorski $46K; Doug Lamborn $37K, Trent Franks 19K; and Steve Stivers $9K. Among Senate bill sponsors, Joe Manchin received $122K; Orin Hatch $92K; Ben Cardin $241K; and Dean Heller $71K. In sum, all of the Senate cosponsors and all but three of the House cosponsors are pro-Israel lobby recipients.
« Last Edit: February 13 2019, 08:05:44 AM by john robertson »
86 EL CAMINO w/ GN drivetrain - NICE!  86 T-TYPE - NICER!  87 GN -- NICEST!

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15 2019, 11:59:46 AM »
I had never thought of it, but Jason's remark about the core being a big heat sink has a lot of merit when considering a single pass.
I suspect if you compare any intercooler to a typical radiator- the intercooler will appear to be overbuilt.
The heat sink value would give reason to keep building them that robust way.

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
My thoughts.
 A radiator is built for about 15 pressure whereas with our cars the intercooler is built to withstand about 30 lbs pressure and Some  tractors are over 100 lbs pressure.
IT depends,
They are both heat exchangers built for a specific purpose.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
What's really interesting is I was doing some research last night on my NECKCAR.   I noticed that 'water pressure' is a thing, and the newer cars have water pressure gauges in them.

Turns out, they're running stupid high pressures in the cooling system to raise the boiling point and minimize localized steaming on the combustion chamber and exhaust port.   I found a link that said NECKCAR changed a rule to force the cars to have less pressure so they overheat when they draft.

Turns out they were running over 80PSI in the cooling system.   That's just hard to fathom.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15 2019, 06:11:20 PM »
I suspect that 80 psi is in the water jacket.  High flow pump pushing water into the engine and a restrictor on the outlet side to hold the flow back and raise the internal pressure.

I don't think it's uncommon to see 4 times the pressure inside the block as compared to radiator pressure on some production engines.  Otherwise, the water would boil at internal hot spots and detonation would blow the engine.
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal