Tech Area > General Auto Tech

04 Silverado - rusty parts hauler

(1/6) > >>

nocooler:
So I've been dealing with an oil pressure issue with my truck since I've bought it and decided it's time to stop messing around and fix the POS.
Basically, once the oil temp gets warm enough the oil pressure starts dropping, and then the valve train starts getting very noisy.  On a hot day, I can haul my car to the track about an hour away and by the time I get there the truck is getting loud, and when I leave about the time I pull in the driveway she starts clattering. But if you shut it down and let it rest for 5-10 minutes you can restart it and it's good to go until the oil temp climbs again. It happened on a parts run last week and while it hasn't been a problem yet - I want to get it resolved.
So here are a couple of pictures of the tear-down.

nocooler:
Of course, the center/drag link was a complete pain in the ass to remove. One outer tie rod is junk for sure - probably do a pitman arm and idler arm while it's apart.
But I found the issue - the sump was full of sludge and the pickup was fully submersed in it. Basically, once the sludge got warm enough to become viscous would clog the oil pump pick-up. tube.
I cut the oil filter open and I was surprised it's not packed full of glitter, so I'm gonna clean it up and put it back together.

Steve Wood:
All I have is, WOW!

nocooler:
Waiting on parts to show up.
I ordered inner/outer tie rod ends, pitman/idler arm, sway bar end links, and an oil pan gasket.
I'm almost tempted to do the control arm bushings and ball joints then the frontend would be fresh but that's a lot of work to put into this POS.
It'll probably need an alignment once I get the new tie rods on - I guess we will see how it drives once it's back together.

nocooler:
Other than the vaseline in the driver's valve cover it doesn't look terrible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version