Author Topic: Restored or Unrestored?  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Restored or Unrestored?
« on: November 21 2017, 08:47:28 PM »
What do you guys think, when it comes to vintage cars or motorcycles?

I think if it is a low milage well preserved than unrestored has it.  But when you have something that is old and in need I personally don't think it is worth as much.

Like I had mentioned before about see a beat 68 Shelby GT500 that was pulled out of a barn.  A coworker thought it was the best.  But I honestly thought I would catch the hunta virus from it.  It smelled very bad, mold a la grande!

Thoughts?

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Restored or Unrestored?
« Reply #1 on: November 21 2017, 09:26:17 PM »
Restored !!! These barn finds are cool to read about. I have watched the Shelby market for a long time. The 68 GT500 you were talking about could bring $40/60k as it is. Restored ones go for $80/100k+. To restore that car you are talking $100k anyway. Yes guys spend that kind of $$$ ! Sooo do the math ! :player:
   The White 69 Boss 429 that sold out of a NY garage for $100k all apart sitting for years. Car is almost done now. 2 years goin threw a restoration. Then try and find parts.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21 2017, 10:45:18 PM »
There's a phrase for 'unrestored' that I think is even more money than restored. I think it's 'survivor'.

Something along the lines of 'just maintained over the years and ACTUALLY driven' but not 'perfect'.  Pretty sure that was the hot ticket a decade or so ago.

Like Grumpy posted, I'd take barn find with his numbers.  I'd hate to buy a car, spend $100,000 on it then hope to sell it for $100,000  (minus 20% in auction fees).

I'd wash that barnd find, change the fluids, beat the shit out of it (if it's cool) all while asking too much for it until it sells.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21 2017, 10:54:08 PM »
I agree a restored one over one in need of restoration. I think the guy paid $30k for the GT500, that is like $23K US.  There is no way I would drive it the way it smelt.  It's probably full of mouse crap.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
I have to think there is a difference between unrestored and not been cleaned. Some detail guys can work miracles on carpet and interior surfaces. Patina is one thing, then tore up is another. My stuff is generally tore up. Four kids ill do that to it.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
I have to give my kids credit, grew up in the GN's back seat and with the help of mom and blankets the seats came out unscathed. 
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
Oh forgot one thing about doin a restoration. Car and parts end up at the body shop an machine shop jail. My original 427 went to 2 body shops. One for 8 months an the other for 2 years !! First shop prob did a weeks worth of work. The other shop it was a "conversation piece". This was in the 70s. Now it's even a longer hurry up an wait.

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22 2017, 06:36:28 PM »
i have my 69 442 Convertible I've owned since 1975, as Earl would say: a survivor. Original paint, interior, drivetrain. The paint is getting real tired but I'm able to store it inside and heated. i cringe at the thought of it being disassembled.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
Oh forgot one thing about doin a restoration. Car and parts end up at the body shop an machine shop jail. My original 427 went to 2 body shops. One for 8 months an the other for 2 years !! First shop prob did a weeks worth of work. The other shop it was a "conversation piece". This was in the 70s. Now it's even a longer hurry up an wait.

I know what you mean.  I went through the same thing with my motorcycle.  All I wanted was the bottom half of the top fairing and the mid and bottom painted.  The fairing sat collecting dust and over spray at a couple shops.  Took it to another that said they would paint it and after 6 months they said it was a lot of prep work, so I volunteered to do the prep work.  The motor sat for years not running, everyone said the crank seals will dry out on the 2 stroke motor.  When I parked it I filled the cylinders full of oil.  When I pulled the pipes off, oil poured out.  The motor was mint, everything looked brand new, so that was good!

Do you ever watch counting cars?  I am always amazed at how quick they turn a car around.  Something like 6 months or less.  Could be the TV special effects. :icon_smile:

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #9 on: November 22 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
Imho, it all really depends on are the parts used in the restoration. If it's all nos it'll cost a billion to restore but it would be the cream of the crop. Even over a slightly patinad survivor. But the paint...thats gotta be top shelf too then hell yeah restored!

If aftermarket pieces are used then I'd prefer a slightly patinad survivor.

Original paint isn't anything to me. I think it's better to have new paint.
But alas, we all have our own....
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22 2017, 10:29:40 PM »

Do you ever watch counting cars?  I am always amazed at how quick they turn a car around.  Something like 6 months or less.  Could be the TV special effects. :icon_smile:

They cheat and just replace all kinds of shit with new parts.  If you start with a straight frame, then shotgun every bit of suspension, order the complete interior out of a catalog, then though it a crate engine...    There's really nothing left but body work.

Rewatch Ziggy Marley getting his dad's euro spec Mercedes restored.   It took them a lot more time because they couldn't just replace parts like the gas tank.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23 2017, 08:59:11 AM »
That is true, Earl.  I am still blown away at their prices.  They seem very reasonable!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal