Author Topic: Front Block Cam wear?  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Front Block Cam wear?
« on: September 01 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
What do you guys do to solve the problem of a billet cam wearing into the front of the block?  Earl?  Earl?  Earl?  Steve?  Brad?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Front Block Cam wear?
« Reply #1 on: September 01 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
doesn't it have shims/torrington bearing to alleviate that?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
Can you not use the spring and roller button?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01 2017, 10:45:19 PM »
I think he is talking about a groove in the block behind the cam.. We made a shim an never had any problems with it.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2017, 11:27:40 PM »
DAN, long time no hear!  Yes that is exactly what I am talking about.  I did hear of guys machining the front of the block and installing a torrington bearing as well.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
Two things that are VERY important to avoid that.  First is to deburr the backside of the cam flange before installing it.   When the holes get tapped they leave a nice abrasive lip just waiting to eat into the block.

The second is to avoid HV oil pumps.   The unnecessary drag the pump generates goes right to the bevel gears on the cam sensor.  Since they're at a 45, the pump load pushed the cam against the block at the same rate.

If you have a bare block you could drill an oil passage from the load area into the oil groove of the cam bearing bore.  That would have to be done with a bare block before final cleaning though.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
Thanks Earl.  I do have a HV pump on the motor when Conley's built it still.  That will be coming off.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
Here is the block with the shim installed.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
That looks really good! How did they fasten it to the block? I've heard about doing this years ago (maybe from a comment Dan made years back?) but never did any research about them since I've never had the need to do it?   :chin:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
Good question, Dave.  I believe it is pressed in but will find out for sure.  Earl probably knows by just looking at the pic. :)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
I was thinking it could be press fit but these days they must have a couple options.
It sure looks professionally done.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10 2017, 10:56:47 PM »
It's pinned in place. That's the dots at 6 and 12 o'clock.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11 2017, 12:51:14 PM »
Actually, I knew that but I just finished doing 4 nights so my memory is sketchy.  But I knew Earl would know! :cheers:

Offline Wayner

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22 2017, 01:08:31 AM »
  Good news: Another Buick is up and running thanks to help from the Buick community. It took a fair bit of troubleshootin g (even though it didn't need to)

The cam sensor screw which holds the metal tab into the cam sensor shaft and the hull sensor came loose. I just replaced it but used Loctite this time. 

What is interesting is that the cam sensor stopped sensing completely which made the car not spark or injector pulse (crank sensor is what I thought). I was sure it was either a crank sensor, ign module or computer problem.

I had the laptop hooked up to the FAST system and came up with a "cannot connect to ECM" message which pointed at the FAST system being FUBAR. Damn computer!!

As a sidebar: I still don't have an SES light with key on and engine not running. Not sure why not but I don't care as long as the car runs!!!

Glad I live in Victoria as there is a few weeks of summer still left.

Thanks again for the help everyone!!!

Go LEAFS!!

Wayner
87' GN, ESP girdle, ESP cam shaft, Champion GN1 heads, GT 65 BB Turbo, ESP FM intercooler, Scorpion Rockers, TiAl wastegate, Accufab TB and classic FAST, AC delete, QA1 coilovers, Spohn tubular control arms and sway bars 
Wayner is online now Report Post

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22 2017, 07:35:04 AM »
Excellent!  :cheers:

Ever since the screw in my cam sensor wheel came loose causing a rebuild kit to be added & then my crank sensor moved a bit off centre & made a loud racket (altho still ran) I always check those 2 items. My old stock MAF days caused me a LOT of no start or poor running days as well. With these cars you need some patience & some basic trouble shooting tools along with Steve's site but having Patience is really an important part no matter how many curse words come out!  :068: [size=78%]   [/size]
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal