Author Topic: won't start after front seal repair  (Read 25024 times)

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
won't start after front seal repair
« on: February 21 2015, 06:18:10 PM »

Hello, I guess I got tired of the car running well so I decided to fix a front seal leak I've had for a while.

I put everything back together and now it just spins over.

I did not prime the oil pump. I contacted Mr. Earlbrown and he feels that I should be ok not priming because of the quality of his build on the front cover.  I've had this cover for a while and I am very pleased.

I think that maybe I have installed the cam sensor 180 out although I really don't see how I could have because when I removed the cam sensor I set it a 25 after TOD and I used a permanent marker and made marks so it would go back in the exact way and I put a pair of vise grips on the flywheel to keep it from moving. I also used the cam sensor alignment tool that plugs in with the light on it. I plugged it in before I removed the cam sensor and the light came on. The light also came back on after I re-installed it which makes me believe that it went right back in the same way.

I've triple checked all the connections.
 I've checked and it does have gas.
 I've checked the fuel is prim
 I just wanted to see if ya'll had any ideas b4 I pull the cam sensor again.

Question #1 Even if the pump isn't primed shouldn't the car start.
 Question #2 Even if the cam sensor is 180 out shouldn't the car start but run like crap.

Thanks in advance

86 gn. Champion irons, roller cam,stock location stretch intercooler, 3" exhaust," DP, scan master, red Armstrong  pump hot wired,  60 lbs injectors, Razors' alky kit, 6265, 6.0 chip, powerlogger, plx-afr, mt 275/50r15 et street

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: won't start after front seal repair
« Reply #1 on: February 21 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
Check the crank sensor

Reset the cam sensor
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21 2015, 07:05:09 PM »
Have you pulled a plug to see if it is wet and check the thing for spark?

How is your oil switch? I know mine needed some coercion to get it connected up.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21 2015, 07:06:44 PM »
thanks i'll check these things and get back to ya'll
86 gn. Champion irons, roller cam,stock location stretch intercooler, 3" exhaust," DP, scan master, red Armstrong  pump hot wired,  60 lbs injectors, Razors' alky kit, 6265, 6.0 chip, powerlogger, plx-afr, mt 275/50r15 et street

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
If the plug is wet we are getting fuel. Then with a helper you can see if it is throwing spark. That'll give some direction to where/what to look at next.
Rich

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
Are you running a TR6 ignition?  If you are, car will not start if the cam sensor is not set correctly.  Ask me how I know...  It's easy to set with the TR6, just have to pull the coil pack, change the dip switches and watch the tach
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21 2015, 07:38:59 PM »
I checked the crank sensor and it is aligned perfect and plugged in.
I went through a few of the steps on vortexbuick no start trouble shooter and it appears that I need to pull the cam sensor back out and make sure its installed correctly.  To start with.

I just don't see how I put it in wrong.  I took the proper steps to make sure unless the cam could have turned although I have the flywheel secured so it couldn't turn.  I must be 180 off

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
I checked the spark plugs and the are getting wet

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 21 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
But do you have spark?  Pull a plug, put the wire back on it.  Lay it on the valve cover and crank the engine over...do you have spark jumping the plug gap?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21 2015, 07:53:38 PM »
b4 I pull the cam sensor I am going to follow the crank sensor install procedure on vortexbuick.
I wasn't aware that there was a procedure to install crank sensor when I installed it.  I just put it on and made sure the slots would travel through without hitting it and torqued it down.

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
The crank sensor was out of adjustment.  It was touching on one side but it still won't start.
I pulled a spark plug and placed it back in the spark plugged wire and placed it per your instructions and I am not getting spark.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
i'm of course not sure but if the crank sensor and the part on the balancer made contact, i would be inclined to think you "may" have damaged the crank sensor. you might pull it off for an inspection. post some pix, if need be.
Rich

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21 2015, 09:11:13 PM »
It was barely touching on the back side.   
I'm wondering if it's possible to adjust without the tool the site speaks of.
There is not enough room on either side to slip a credit card in between but it is not touching on either side on any of the reluctor blades now.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21 2015, 09:17:31 PM »
I used a matchbook on the last one I did. Make sure to turn the engine a full revolution to make sure none of the "tangs" hit the sensor. I'm not positive but I think I would put a meter on the pigtail to see the sensor short or open when the tang goes by the sensor while turning the engine over by hand. Others might have a better idea for testing it.
Rich

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21 2015, 10:01:56 PM »
Do y'all I should focus more on the crank sensor rather than pulling the cam sensor.
Will the car still crank if the sensor was installed 180 out

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal