Author Topic: Start, wont run problem  (Read 3178 times)

Offline quick72toy

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Start, wont run problem
« on: June 22 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Ok It has been a while since I have had to trouble shoot, and am having a problem fixing this. Out of the blue, the car will start and run for 2 seconds but dies.
 I first thought it was the anti theft, and re-did the sequence, but it still behaves the same.
I then disconnected the battery for a few minutes, and tried again. Same result.
Put battery on charger to make sure battery voltage is up. No change.
Pulled WB O2 sensor, checked, and free air recalibrated. No difference.
I then thought it might be a loose park/ drive indicator wire that may have prevented the anti-theft, and pulled the console and checked from sw to ECM pin .It is okay.
Ok, thought it might be the cam sensor. checked and reset sensor with Caspers tool. No change.
Fuel pump is working fine and pressure is good.

Running Modded ECM, 52 lb Siemens injectors,  MAFTpro, Bob's Extender chip, WB O2 Sensor. Running in Speed Density mode.

Help!  :icon_confused:
« Last Edit: June 22 2014, 05:49:15 PM by quick72toy »
1972 Toyota Celica  87 TR drive train
Motor 30 over, 10/10 crank, HV.oil pump, P&P heads, PTE 44, Hot wired GSS 340, 52lb Siemens, mod ECM, Speedpro 204/214, Dutweiller big neck intercooler, 62 mm TB, Power Plate, Hot wired coilpack    AC CR42’s, Postons headers, MAFTPro,  LC1 WB O2 sensor, Alky kit

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Start, wont run problem
« Reply #1 on: June 22 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
what's the battery voltage and what is it reading when you are cranking the car?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
What is the wb showing? Assuming it can even register a reading.  Mine goes really lean at idle 16-20+  AFR and needs a fair bit of Afterstart Enrichment to hold an idle until Part Throttle Tracking takes over.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline quick72toy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
Steve
I've got it on a charger when I'm cranking it over, but I'll measure the voltage next time i try to start it.

Mike
Not enough time to register anything.

Cant get the Power logger to work ~!@# So I'm going to pull it out, and hook up Direct Scan to see if I can get any readings.

Motor 30 over, 10/10 crank, HV.oil pump, P&P heads, PTE 44, Hot wired GSS 340, 52lb Siemens, mod ECM, Speedpro 204/214, Dutweiller big neck intercooler, 62 mm TB, Power Plate, Hot wired coilpack    AC CR42’s, Postons headers, MAFTPro,  LC1 WB O2 sensor, Alky kit

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2014, 08:34:47 PM »
Pull Pl off and see if it will run

Steve

Steve Wood

Offline quick72toy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
Pulled the PL and hooked up DS. Recorded a key on engine off, and a start/ run/stall file. Too tired to post them tonight will post later tomorrow.

Offline quick72toy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
Fixed it!  :cheers:
I noticed in the DS file that my voltage dropped/dipped when starting, and remember thinking maybe the battery was low on charge, but I had it on a charger, and used the charger to start the car, so... I had a look at the battery cable lug on the solenoid, and saw that the nut was slightly loose. Tightened it up, and car cranked much faster. Reset the ant-itheft and bingo! Car started and ran fine. I guess there was enough of a voltage dip during cranking to trigger the anti-theft in the chip.

Thanks David Justa6 for lending me your spare ECM and chip for test purposes.

Paul

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24 2014, 10:13:27 PM »
Good News! You had it from the start!
If it was in a Buick a clue would have been the clock resetting when cranking...
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
I noticed in the DS file that my voltage dropped/dipped when starting, and remember thinking maybe the battery was low on charge, but I had it on a charger, and used the charger to start the car, so... I had a look at the battery cable lug on the solenoid, and saw that the nut was slightly loose. Tightened it up, and car cranked much faster. Reset the ant-itheft and bingo! Car started and ran fine. I guess there was enough of a voltage dip during cranking to trigger the anti-theft in the chip.

Thanks David Justa6 for lending me your spare ECM and chip for test purposes.

Paul

Well my parts didn't help but sometimes just sitting & talking about it gives you good ideas.  :chin:
Altho Steve nailed it right away with his cranking voltage test.  :sw:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline quick72toy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25 2014, 04:08:40 PM »
Yeah Dang hybrid  :icon_eyes: LOL
Yeah, I needed the break David. Sometimes it's just good to just chew the fat, and forget about it for a bit.
Thanks Steve you were bang on as usual  :rock:

Cheers,
Paul

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25 2014, 07:46:46 PM »

I guess there was enough of a voltage dip during cranking to trigger the anti-theft in the chip.

Paul

And it's AMAZING just how little it takes to reset the anti-theft.   I was ready to burn my car to the ground (and my house around it) a few months ago over that stupid feature
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
that is the reason I don't use antitheft chips
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
that is the reason I don't use antitheft chips

Me too! Never had it & never will! Lots of threads around about it causing issues.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal