Author Topic: my dream car!  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Rob86

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
my dream car!
« on: October 18 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm Rob, I have finally come upon my dream car, a Grand National! 1986 to be specific. I've always been a fan of g body cars, mostly the Monte Carlo but just a bit more the Grand National. I came across a deal I didn't want to pass up and didn't want to look back on as the "I wish I did" type of story. So I transferred all my savings and took out a small loan and got it. I now also have my 88 SS for sale lol. The previous owner had unfortunately passed away three years ago and his wife decided to finally move on from it. So, fortunately for me I acquired a damn near excellent condition 86 with 55xxx miles on it! I knew 86 or 87 was what I wanted and I was happy to get my hands on such a limited produced car. Now I have a question for everyone, I know this is probably an annoying and over spoken topic, and just to defend myself on asking this, I have tried to find the true answer and can't, just a lot of words, I'm trying to find some actual data. The question is, the actual difference between the 86 and 87, I know about the slight interior and exterior changes, the electronic climate control, the oil lines, and the power steering change, and the emissions change in the chip. Was there a true difference in torque and horsepower or was it the same and just a numbers game? Does anyone have proof, not just the obvious that it was in different points in the rpm curve? Sorry in advance if I have managed to search everywhere and not find the answer under my nose.. . I've done that before lol. Nice to meet everyone !

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: my dream car!
« Reply #1 on: October 18 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
No answer for ya but welcome and nice car!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Rob86

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
Thank you. I've been doing my best to research that debate and the only thing I found was for true horsepower on a 86. A guy on car domain with a stock 86 had it on a dyno and got a result of 267hp +\-

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure the former GM engineers confirmed that for us at last years seminars (25'th anniversary).
They also admitted over 300HP in cold air :)

edit: Believe the BLACK AIR dvd has the seminars appended so it may be stated on "record"
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Rob86

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
That's a DVD I really have to find, the more I read about these cars the more I'm amazed by them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal