Author Topic: Donut between downpipe and elbow  (Read 5558 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Donut between downpipe and elbow
« on: February 15 2020, 12:50:59 PM »
Is there another donut that would be an oversize compare to the normal size stock?
 After tuning and adjustment was made I did notice some exhaust was expelling around the donut area.
 The donut was replaced and the stock bolts with spring are max out
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Donut between downpipe and elbow
« Reply #1 on: February 15 2020, 01:03:52 PM »
did you use both pieces ??  :chin:

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15 2020, 01:06:25 PM »
did you use both pieces ??  :chin:
What do you mean by both pieces?
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15 2020, 05:48:03 PM »
THE pipe is fubared. You might try hammering the flange closed or put a sleeve in.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
THE pipe is fubared. You might try hammering the flange closed or put a sleeve in.
Can you define sleeve in

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
If I said shim the flange would that help? The pipe under the gasket is ''stretched''.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
Did you loosen the 4 bolt flange that connects to the y-pipe before you tightened the bolts to the turbo elbow? Make sure to support downpipe with jack stand or jack. Both with make it easier to line up properly and take all the weight/tension off the flange while you snug everything back up. 
IhaveaV8

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15 2020, 06:52:18 PM »
If I said shim the flange would that help? The pipe under the gasket is ''stretched''.
shim I understand
Dump question, but how does a steel pipe flange gets stretched when it's only to tighten a donut against an exhaust elbow?

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15 2020, 07:02:23 PM »
Did you loosen the 4 bolt flange that connects to the y-pipe before you tightened the bolts to the turbo elbow? Make sure to support downpipe with jack stand or jack. Both with make it easier to line up properly and take all the weight/tension off the flange while you snug everything back up.
I'm not familiarize with the 4 bolt flange that connects to the y-pipe since all was good until I replaced the intermediate pipes and mufflers. I didn't disconnected the flange donut connection while doing the muffler replacement, but then realized the downpipe was loose from all the movement of putting the muffler back together again. I place a jack underneath the hollow converter, and replaced the donut with a new one. Jack the converter upward enough to start the downpipe flange bolts.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
Ill get a pic later today.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
Ill get a pic later today.
Okay Thanks

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16 2020, 03:27:23 PM »
here ya go

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16 2020, 03:56:10 PM »
here ya go
I appreciate the photo of an exhaust donut, but I can't read the number, can you please post the number
Thanks

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17 2020, 05:29:28 AM »
i posted it so you can see the piece that goes inside the donut. i doubt the part # will do any good .. its prob 25 years old. sorry the damm pics were so big.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 17 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
I don't know if this is both parts, or not    https://www.highwaystars.net/gasket-turbo-exhaust-downpipe-gm-1262500/

Autozone and others sell the Walker donut replacement.

When I had a stock dp, I used to put a thin coat of high temp copper rtv on it before bolting it down
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal