Author Topic: Valve Springs replacement  (Read 18743 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Springs replacement
« Reply #75 on: November 22 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
Do you have an air compressor that you can dial down to 15psi?

If so, test your PCV valve to see if it blocks flow into engine. You might be surprised.
Thanks for the info, but I have been using the NOS GM/ACDelco PVC valve for many years with no issues
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
    • Joe Tripodi's 1987 Buick Regal Limited T
« Reply #76 on: November 22 2021, 05:46:52 PM »
RJC makes a nice PCV with a viton check valve. I run one.
I replaced the stock PCV before I did the rear main seal.
The stock one eventually allows blow by boost pressure into the crank case.
Without the check valve PCV, you get oil seeping out gaskets. Like for one mainly, the oil pan. 
It shows up as a light covering of oil all over the oil pan and surrounding areas especially behind the pan.

So...
Its totally worth $27 + shipping.
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22 2021, 07:04:54 PM »
I ran the RJC valve as well. My engines typically ran 118-122 for idle BLM's. Replacing the stock PCV valve with this raised the idle BLM's 8-10 points to right around 128. For some reason they acted like an air leak, at least on my engines.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #78 on: November 22 2021, 07:20:46 PM »
Strange how the limited volume of air that leaks out thru the pcv under boost could be so great that it overwhelms the breathers that many of us run on the valve covers.  I guess my 66 turbo cannot put out enuf volume to cause a problem as I don't have leaks all over the place.

I did not realize the check valves were still a thing.  I remember the blms being screwed up at low speed when using them, but I guess that does not happen anymore

Now a catch can.... Lol
« Last Edit: November 22 2021, 07:46:41 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
Guys are getting blowby cuz the piston to wall clearance has maxed out...and they're using a catch can as a band aid solution. When I had Joe to freshen up the stock engine, the piston to wall clearance was maxed. I rolled the dice and it lasted for years until the rings got some wear...and then it would push the dipstick up on each pass. If you watch my practice runs with the car you'll see smoke from the dipstick being burned off on the exhaust.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22 2021, 08:09:59 PM »
Almost all engines will get blow by from combustion past the rings after a bit no matter how well the machine work was done.  Compare leakdown numbers on a fresh,well done engine to the same engine after a few runs.  5-10 % leakdown at 100 psi ain't nothing compared to a 1000 or so pressure under boost when it's lit
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03 2021, 03:30:44 PM »
👍
Hi Steve,
After the replacement of valve springs, already changed oil, do i have to prime the oil again, or assemble all and start engine.
Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
    • Joe Tripodi's 1987 Buick Regal Limited T
« Reply #82 on: December 03 2021, 03:54:58 PM »
I used some red valve train lubricant spray from Comp Cams.
Coated everything real good just in case.
Prolly not needed but it couldn't hurt.
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03 2021, 03:59:57 PM »
as far as I know, you have not done anything to lose oil pressure.  I always just dribble oil over the springs and rockers for some pre-lube and start the engine.
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03 2021, 06:13:32 PM »
Fire the whore up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03 2021, 08:30:17 PM »
I used some red valve train lubricant spray from Comp Cams.
Coated everything real good just in case.
Prolly not needed but it couldn't hurt.
That's easily what I did, by using Comp Cam's red valve train lubricant spray

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03 2021, 09:08:14 PM »
Fire the whore up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's funny, but unfortunately I made a rookie mistake.
When I removed parts and bolts, I usually placed bolts on cardboard in the order it was removed, and well I know where the pats goes.
The rookie mistake is when removed the old Rocker Arm Retainers, I used brake cleaner on the rocker arm shaft, used shop towels, lightly oil the shaft and placed the rockers back onto the shaft. Not realizing the shaft goes on the heads one way, and when I tried to bolt down the rocker arm assembly one of the bolt was off center.
What really piss me off is now I have to order another 6 Rocker Arm Retainers to replaced the ones I removed to correct the shaft position.
The first sets I ordered from RockAuto, and when I when to reordered a box of 4, RockAuto has an out of stock item.
I did found out AutoZone has the ones I'm replacing with, and I'll pick them up this coming Thursday.
Melling MRM-1724 (color Black) Photo shows the rocker arms shaft assembly is missing 3 retainers.  I already reversed the rockers 180 degree from the shaft position.
« Last Edit: December 03 2021, 09:48:16 PM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03 2021, 11:17:25 PM »
https://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/rocker_shaft_assembly.htm
I did read this before I did the replacement, and it's funny when I first removed the old retainers in place , slide off the rockers in order, clean shaft and then placed the rockers back in the same order, and none of them have no Land R stamped on them. As you can see in the photo there is no L/R stamped on rockers.
Keep in mind this is an unopen engine; I know since I got it 32 years ago, and the first year a father gave his son my GN for graduated HS. 2nd year father took it away for missing College classes, kid protested and father fine now it's sold to me.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05 2021, 02:58:38 PM »
Hi Steve,
While I'm waiting for the rest of the retainers to come in, is it wise or not to put blue threaded lock on the rocker arm shaft bolt and torque to 25 ft-lb
Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal