Author Topic: New Cooling System what to use?  (Read 8740 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: New Cooling System what to use?
« Reply #15 on: September 24 2020, 09:01:28 PM »
Evapro-rust is awesome.  But it's expensive as hell and sucks when you dilute it.

Molasses is a lot cheaper
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
Dave I just ordered one from them because Glen at Highway Stars won't ship to Canada anymore. I told them that I get stuff monthly from Rock Auto & now GBody but they said no. It was stock replacement for 50% of what GBody charged me. I was going to ship to Orlando first then here but in the end that's not worth the hassle. The shiny & no nipple should look pretty decent.

I do like the Rust stuff looks like it may be good for Metal Prep before paint coatings.  :cheers:

I have a spray can of rust stop I used a while back on Metal Furniture that you just spray onto the rust & it makes it paintable. I remember ingredients said tannic acid from plants. Came from Canuck Tire in automotive section & it's about $12-$13 a can.
« Last Edit: September 25 2020, 12:18:13 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 25 2020, 12:14:40 PM »
The GBody ones without the throttlebody outlets are nice...and pricey but, still nice
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
Quote from: 1KWIKSIX
David,don’t be a cheap bugger! 😉
You’re spent a bundle on the car and replaced the radiator , Heater so why not replace the steel coolant line with a stainless steel unit .
you’ll never have to worry about it again !
I’m with Steve on this one, I run Prestone antifreeze Plus RMI 25 and have so for years with no ill effects 👍
How long do you guys expect to live? :)  We got 30 years out of the originals- I would like to think I still have my drivers licence at 95 yrs old but dunno....:sw:
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27 2020, 09:48:42 PM »
Way to much thinking going on.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28 2020, 01:15:48 AM »
No kidding
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how guys love to complicate these cars.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28 2020, 02:46:32 PM »
What gets me is how selective it is.

Wars have been waged with the amount of emotion behind brand names (not weights) of oil, yet nobody gives a shit about brand of transmission fluid.    Mobil1 'destroys engines' but Wal*Mart (where I get mine) is fine ATF, nobody cares.

Then, you got the guys that change the oil every 300 miles, or once a month, and probably still has the original brake fluid in the car from the 80's.    And nobody gives a crap about gear dope brand or weight or type.    (There are the 'experts' that say you have to run posi-additive on a 150,000 G80...   They just don't know why.   And I never run whale snot in my G80. It's too worn to need it. ESP with my synthetic dope).

The cooling system can sometimes we worse than oil.   If a car runs hot because the radiator is clogged the solution is NOT to install a non-clogged radiator....     You have to have some hi-dollar all aluminum wizbang radiator that can keep the ISS cool when out sun goes supernova. 

Oh and you have to have a cooling fan that pulls 1000amps and sucks harder than a Thai hooker....    too cool down the 15hp a car makes at idle.     None of that heat comes from the Massive parasitic drag from the 10,000 amp alternator blowing through the 16 gauge charge lead...

...even though the grill opening is always the same size and air still weighs the same 8/100#/ft3.

To quote Travis W. Redfish (Meatloaf) from the movie ''Roadie''...     ''Things will work if you just let 'em''.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Even jegs and summit would go under if they didn't have a trick of the month to sell. Everybody has to make a living. 
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
 "sucks harder than a Thai hooker.... "  CLASSIC  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
I was a Buick vendors worst nitemare. I was one of these guys who dragged the most from the least.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20 2020, 03:53:16 PM »
So I'm still working on issues with the car & this one is new to me? New rad, heater core & 160 thermostat are new & the only old parts are the heater core water Control Valve & rad cap. When I run the car for as little as 30-45 seconds the rad builds up pressure so that when I remove the cap it's holding a fair amount of pressure as far as to sometimes shoot water out as I remove the cap? Also that 30 seconds run time has the pressure held a good week later opening the cap? I've never had this happen unless the rad was hot from minutes of run time but never 30 seconds? 
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
You put the thermostat in backwards or its stuck or clogged with dodo.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20 2020, 08:08:07 PM »
Thanks Ed I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I hope it's not backwards but nothing's impossible with this car lately!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22 2020, 03:19:47 PM »
I took out the thermostat filled the rad & started the car to make sure the water is flowing & it's moving a good amount of water especially when I raise the rpm above idle. So put on the rad cap & run it 30 secs & turn off the car. Slowly open rad cap & it's totally pressurized & would puke water if I took the cap off all the way so what the hell is going on?
On a side note I ran it for a couple mins yesterday before I shut it off & there was No pressure this morning unlike how it held when the thermostat was installed.

There is a bit of brown foamy residue in the water because I tried to flush the old rad & heater core a few times & then purchased the new ones so I'm sure there was some left inside the other parts when I filled it but it's not chunky just foamy bubbles floating on the top of the water. I think I got most of it out with fresh water but still a bit in there.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal