Author Topic: No brake lights?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
No brake lights?
« on: August 07 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
Awesome news, as my car didn't pass inspection due to "no brake lights."  Im like, hmm, thats funny, seeing how i just drove out of my garage and seen the reflection of brake lights in the window behind me.  The light in the window works though.  This shouldn't be too hard to find no?  Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.  Just gotta figure out whats touching.  Figured I'd post as I can keep my buick buds in the loop on what's going on with the T-type.   :icon_eyes:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: No brake lights?
« Reply #1 on: August 07 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
You check the adjustment on the switch on the pedal?  Should not be the switch if the rear window light works, tho.

So, the next most common problem is the white wire that runs from the switch on the pedal to the 11 connector terminal that is mounted on the steering column.  Make sure this wire is firmly inserted into the connector on both sides and is making good connection.

When the wire comes out of the connector it goes up the column to the turn signal switch.  Then there are a couple of feeds to the trunk to the brake lights...a yellow wire and a green wire.

Check the connectors at the column for these wires, and be sure the connector in the left corner of the trunk which can get dirty/corroded.

If it ain't a connection, then it may be the turn signal switch as Mark suggests below
« Last Edit: August 07 2012, 03:48:42 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
If the 3rd brake light works consistently, and the lower 2 don't, there's a good chance the issue is in the turn signal switch.

I have had that happen on a TR and my Cadillac - lower lights stopped working, 3rd brake light still worked. I replaced the turn signal switch each time.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
Thanks a bunch fellas.  Im still at work.  My mom looked for an excuse to drive the buick :D , so she offered to take the car to get it inspected for me.  If it turns out to be the switch, would that be difficult to replace?  I will inspect this evening step by step as stated Steve.  Thanks you guys

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
Thanks a bunch fellas.  Im still at work.  My mom looked for an excuse to drive the buick :D , so she offered to take the car to get it inspected for me.  If it turns out to be the switch, would that be difficult to replace?  I will inspect this evening step by step as stated Steve.  Thanks you guys

Assuming it is the switch - it's a bit tough, but there's a lot of good info out there on replacing it.

The only symptom I am associating is that you said the 3rd brake light works consistently, and the lower brake lights work sporadically.

How to replace Turn signal switch Saginaw GM/ Chrysler steering column.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07 2012, 04:21:33 PM »

Assuming it is the switch - it's a bit tough, but there's a lot of good info out there on replacing it.

The only symptom I am associating is that you said the 3rd brake light works consistently, and the lower brake lights work sporadically.

How to replace Turn signal switch Saginaw GM/ Chrysler steering column.
Gotcha.  Well, I will have a solid diagnosis after work.  Thanks a lot Supersix!!!  Hopefully it's something simple.  I hate hard work. Especially over something so silly. 

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Silly? Like fully operational brake lights?
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07 2012, 04:46:50 PM »
Silly? Like fully operational brake lights?
Exactly.  Like, if they not gone work, then don't work. But dont work when i leave the garage, and then not work when i get an inspection!! :013:  It's embarassing to me to go get an inspection and my car not pass. Makes me look like I dont know whats required to pass. And the guy was an ass.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
These are screen captures so not necessarily very good quality, but, maybe they are readable
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
Thanks for the schematics Steve. I can read the dialogue, but not so much the schematic.  Shouldnt be too hard to troubleshoot though.  Im about to check the white wire.  And to confirm, the third brake light DOES work properly, but the bottom two don't.  Keep you posted.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07 2012, 06:39:17 PM »
AND, my right turn signal is not working on the back light, but it works on the front.   :icon_confused:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
According to the schematic, and the dialogue, if the bulb is out, that could cause some of the functions to not operate properly?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
Table C shows the troubleshootin g for the brake lites...not sure on the bulb....I spent more than half a day trying to sort out the turn signals on a car once only to finally find a single element bulb in a dual terminal socket  :)
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07 2012, 07:54:11 PM »
Damn.  That sucks.  I was only asking about the bulb due to the right turn signal not working in the back.  The turn signal indicator also dont work in the car,but i can hear it.  And it works in the front.  im still lookin at this diagram though

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
i just didnt wanna have to remove this dash cluster if i didnt have to.  only reason i was asking.  thanks tho

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal